1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible source of front right jingle noise, disc loose?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrimerman, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Possible source of front right jingle noise, disc loose? - FIXED I think!!

I hear a jingle metallic noise from my front right rim when I hit small fast bumps, but not big smooth bumps. I took off the wheel and was able to pull the disc outward. The caliper held the other end, but area opposite was able to move. I checked the left front side of car and it wouldn't move at all. From what I've read the disc seems to slide off the front axle hub so maybe that is normal. Not sure why left won't move but right easily slides out. If I took off caliper it would come right off. It should be tight enough when the wheel is mounted I assume. Anyone have any insight. Thanks =)

Edit: it looks like it is normal from what I've read about most cars. A thread for corolla mentioned the side that didn't move was probably rusted tight. I grabbed and tried to move everything and nothing was loose.

Edit #2:

Ok so I got an idea when someone else posted putting lug nuts on the disc and putting tape and tapping. I didn't go that far, but I noticed the brakes use 2 metal clips. One at the top of the pads and one at the bottom. I think there might be more under. The top was was really loose and made the sound when I moved it. When I used a flathead to shift the pad up it tightened the clip and it wouldn't move, but once the brake grabs the disc it will shift down a couple millimeters. I just bent a protruding part of the metal clip in between it and the caliper and it is tight now. It's probably been doing that for the last $195k miles. It was driving me nuts. It's pouring rain so I'll wait to test it out later, but just in case someone searches for noise coming from a wheel hopefully this will help.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Possible source of front right jingle noise, disc loose? - FIXED I think!!

Yes thats common. It did have some grease on it between the clip and the contact area so it didn't sing. Looks like its dried up which usually means the lube on the sliders is dried up to.
    Problem with that is sooner or later the pads don't come back off the disc after you let your foot off the brake. This is evidenced from smoke pouring out of the wheel followed by flames.

You can check if its starting to hang by feeling the wheel after a drive. The wheel gets really really hot very fast. Usually you will feel it in the steering wheel pulling on one side but sometimes its so gradual you may not notice. Thats where the smoke part comes in.

3. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok that's good to know. The left side and the right side seemed bone dry, but only one clip wasn't snug. The disc seemed like new as far as wear n tear goes. Didn't look resurfaced, it just looked perfectly smooth so hopefully the pads are wearing fine for now. I'll check the rims after I drive it to make sure. Thanks for the heads up.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your welcome. What's the maintenance on the car?
    Those arn't the original brakes are they?

5. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just bought it with 193k miles and I pulled up all the records from toyota/owner site and they had oil changes, brakes, plugs at recommended times without fail. I didn't look for brakes, but they look like they have no wear yet so they must be recent. I had the battery swapped out with one out of an 08 with 64k miles so hopefully I'll be ok for a while. Guy out here did a great job quickly for $750.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Oh good they probably replaced the brakes. Hopefully the calipers too. Keep an eye on the front rims now & again. Especially if you ever get a whiff of a burning smell.
    I hbought a used car once and within 200 miles of ownership before I could get to the brakes a caliper stuck. By the time I smelled something burning there was smoke pouring out of the hood. It was the tire burning the wheel had gotten so hot. I was lucky it didn't actually catch fire but another mile and it would have.
    I bet its a major cause of car fires on the road.

7. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok I will for sure thanks