1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possibly buying a 2009 Prius with 18,000 miles, are the batteries good if not used all the time

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Rick Kremer, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Rick Kremer

Rick Kremer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Prius People.
    I have a really unique opportunity to purchase from an elderly person their 2009 Prius with only 18,000 miles. Literally driven to the grocery store and back. Wondering if I should be concerned about the age of the batteries.

My question to you all is should I be concerned about the hybrid batteries b/c they really haven't been used all that much and the warranty will run out in 2 years?

I called the local Toyota dealer and they claimed the fact that the car hadn't been driven much is not a problem and the batteries are good for way past 8 years...

Any 2006 owners out there that have had to replace the batteries, or am i being too paranoid?

Thanks for your input.
    Rick,
    South Florida

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you're referring to the large HV battery, don't worry about it. It's warranted for 8 years/100K miles in most states and 10 years/150K miles in CA and CARB states. I have an 06 w/70K miles and am still on the original HV battery. Also see Lifespan/Operating costs - Prius Wiki.

I changed my 12 volt battery almost 2 years ago as it was getting marginal. I wouldn't count on the original 12 volt lasting longer than 4-6 years. The 12 volt on that 09 might be a bit marginal as it might not be getting charged sufficiently by the short drives. The charging system for the 12 volt on the Prius is lame and IIRC, won't charge it at over 4 amps.

You should be able to download the warranty booklet by selecting 09 Prius in the upper right of Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Service Manuals.

3. Rick Kremer

Rick Kremer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your reply back. The more I read about these cars it seems that they run for longer than most cars. Thanks for putting my concerns at ease. BTW Florida has 8/100,000 years. The 8 years will expire way before I get close to 100,000 miles.

4. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buy it and enjoy your new ride, you will love it.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ....that sounds like a great opportunity to me...I am approaching 120000 with no sign of batt problem yet.
    You will want to change out transaxle fluid right away if not already done as you will read here it should be changed out earlier than the manual says, especially the first refill.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a '08, 36K, runs like a top. Although it does not like the cold, but then neither do I! We were made for each other!
    An '09, with 18K, That is a golden nugget waiting for the right person, timing is everything!
    What version II, III, IV, V, or Touring?
    I have a V.
    If the car has the JBL audio system MAP, HID and Fog lights, you probably have a V or better. The touring has 6 spoke wheels, and a larger rear spoiler, also a little better suspension!

Just go buy it now, tell us the price.!!!

7. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow!! Thats super low miles. One thing I noticed when I was Prius shopping was they all had a lot of miles on them. Its so much easier to rack up miles on the Prius since its so cheap to operate :) Just wait, you'll see what Im talking about!

Good Luck with your purchase and dont forget to post some pictures when you get it!

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Buy Mortimer buy!