1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Light not illuminating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PRIUS GIRL3130, Oct 14, 2014.

1. PRIUS GIRL3130

PRIUS GIRL3130 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope I can get some help here with my 2008 Prius. I will try and explain the problem (if it is a problem) as best I can. I may say something totally stupid (at least the Prius Guru's might think so) But please be nice! :p

A couple of days ago went to get in my car it would not start. All the power lights and dash lights came on but it would not start. My husband got on this site or another and figured out it was the 12 volt battery. I went to the auto parts store got a new one and he installed it.

It did start up at that point but my parking and power light indicators did not illuminate. He tells me to drive it around for 10/15 minutes see if it charges the battery more. I drive it (at night) and notice that the lights on the doors (widow buttons) were blinking and the power and park lights still did not illuminate ( well obviously not the park light). I get back to the house turn the car off and then back on and the that seem to fix most of the problems. The only thing I am concerned about is that my power button never illuminates to green (I am fairly certain it is suppose to).

The car seems to be driving fine. I just am trying to prevent anything going a miss because of something I ignored.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Lisa

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved from the Prius v maintenance forum to the Gen II maintenance forum.

3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    While it may not be a factor.....anymore......a new battery should always be fully charged with an external charger before being put into service.

Now is not too late to do that but it might not help with the light problem.

The green light is a "READY" light and there might be some fault codes left over from the dead battery that are still telling the system that it is NOT 100% ready.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take it to auto zone and have them check for codes. agree with easy ^ test your battery voltage.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius 2G has four possible operating modes:

1. IG-OFF: the car is powered off. The POWER button LED is dark.
    2. ACC-ON: from IG-OFF, push the POWER button once without depressing the brake pedal. The MFD will turn on, you can play the stereo, most dashboard lights will remain off. The POWER button LED will appear green.
    3. IG-ON: from ACC-ON, push the POWER button again, without depressing the brake pedal. Now all dashboard warning lights will turn on and the POWER button LED will appear red. You can raise and lower the power windows. Since all vehicle electronics are powered up but the hybrid system is not charging the 12V bus, this mode places a high drain on the 12V battery. Do not leave the car in this mode for any length of time.
    4. READY: from any of the other three modes, press the POWER button once with the brake pedal depressed. The "READY" icon appears on the dashboard. Now the car can be driven. The POWER button LED is dark.

I agree that the 12V battery should be fully-charged overnight before it is put into service.

#5 Patrick Wong, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. PRIUS GIRL3130

PRIUS GIRL3130 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank to all of you for the replies! I have only had this vehicle for about 6 months and sad to say I am guilty of not paying attention to all the bells an whistles that should or shouldn't be on or off (well... except for the gas gauge)! I was thinking that the green light on the power button should be illuminated when driving and if I am reading this correctly it is not. So I probably do not have a problem at all. I will however go ahead and take it to Auto Zone and have them pull any codes. Thanks again for the help and for being nice!:love: