1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

power outlet pulsing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zhawk316, Jan 25, 2014.

1. zhawk316

zhawk316 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got my 2008 gen 2 prius and I tried to charge my phone using the cigarette outlet in the center console. it works but the power seems to pulse. the light on the charger goes dim and bright like it is pulsing and my phone keeps saying power disconnected. has anyone had this problem?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The power outlets in the Prius seem to be a little bit deeper than standard. See if you can push the adapter in further into the power outlet so the tip at the end, in the center, can make good contact with the terminal in the outlet.

SCH-I535

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also try pulling the adapter out then rotate it say 30 degrees and plug it all the way back in. See if that helps.

As xliderider said, the hole is a little deeper than some of the others. My charger gets flaky at times too, a simple push in on the adapter solves the problem. Got a lot of stuff in the center console along with the adapter...

Congrats on the new to you Prius and "Welcome to Prius Chat"!

4. zhawk316

zhawk316 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i tried pushing in farther and that didn't seem to make any difference. also the person that owned it before me installed a audio input using a lexus/toyata adaptor. could that be affecting how much power I am getting to the outlet?

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is this a generic power adapter? Look at the power ratings on the power adapter label and compare it to the one on your OEM wall charger.

Many modern smartphones require pretty high charging current, some in the 800 miliamps range or close to 1 amp or 1000 miliamps. Some generic power adapters are rated 5v DC output, but much lower than the typical smartphone charging requirements.

SCH-I535

6. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very interesting. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, and my phone seems to charge slower when I have it plugged into the transformer coming from the outlet adapter (as opposed to charging it at home). Perhaps the transformer has a maximum draw of less milliamps than the phone can draw?

I recently bought a 12v to 5v step-down DC adapter which I plan to use to power my Garmin GPS and possibly a dash cam in the future. I believe it can draw up to 3 amps. I plan to hook it up to a combination auxiliary audio input and USB port. Perhaps I'll try to compare the two and see if the 3 amp transformer charges the phone any faster.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, if your USB adapter can supply up to 3A, then it will charge as fast as your wall charger at home. Use of a regular usb cable would be a plus as well with the step down adapter with USB port.

SCH-I535