1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre-purchase paper trail

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DenToyPri05, Mar 27, 2015.

1. DenToyPri05

DenToyPri05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let's say you purchased a Prius, had never owned one, and now have become an expert on the nuances of hybrid auto ownership. HV behavior, MFD consumption and energy screens, HV trickle chargers, to foam pipes in the grill, to sleeping in the back, you have experienced first hand what the differences are in hybrid vs the others.

Would you have paid more for a hybrid that was in true excellent hybrid condition? All things HV related were traceable and maintained/repaired - including a clean HV battery vent? Good record keeping on fuel history? Age of 12v? etc...

Knowing what I know now and having gone through some major headaches, I think I would...the amount of data gathering and trouble shooting has been beneficial, but I'm wondering what I'm willing to combat when I buy my next Prius. While I know so much more and know what to focus on, if I were to do it all over again, I think I'd pay more for the right traceable history (and not rely solely on Kelly Blue Book or Consumer Reports) and not the typical car fax and suggested maintenance records.

Just curious what you would do.

#1 DenToyPri05, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think i would. especially the battery health, if someone ever comes up with a way to measure it.

3. DenToyPri05

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i had it assessed at a hybrid specialty shop, but i wish i could have some device or set up that'll allow me to assess accurately on my own. seems like a big production, but worth it to find the place that can do the assessment.

#3 DenToyPri05, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what did they tell you? % of life left? average years?

5. DenToyPri05

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The12v went south and that led to hyper vigilant/hyper awareness of every sound, every smell, every dash light, every bump, every level on the gas gauge, consumption screen and energy screen.

We took a drive about 50 miles and back and the HV behavior showed symptoms of bad health (from all the forum reading I'd been doing). I was never left stranded, and I didn't want to experience that, so I had it assessed. It was at 40% and a good candidate for deep cycling. Since I purchased the Prius used, the specialty shop had no way of assessing life expectancy without former owner's driving habit history, let alone my short driving habit history, and even if that was solid information, it would still be iffy. Commuting, lengthy garaging, short and long trips, hot summers and cold winters, hypermiling and lead footedness...lots of factors, and combinaions, in how quickly or slowly an HV drains.

Added to the Toyota service recommendations I've added battery assessment, as I think all hybrid owners should do.

At least now I have a baseline for me (and for the next owner if I ever decide to sell it).