1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Price check: 2011 vs 2012 Prius 4

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Morningmoon, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Morningmoon

Morningmoon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey,

So I have the choice between buying a 2011 Prius 4 for around $23,000 (with 40k miles) or a 2012 for around $20,000 (with 50k miles). The only difference is that the 2011 has the solar moon roof package. Even still, it is about $3000 over blue book in excellent condition. My question is twofold: do these prices seem reasonable? And to what extent do you guys think it is worth it to pay $3,000 more for a moon roof and 10k miles less? I'm looking at it like it is an extra year or so of driving time. I've never had a Prius, though, so I would live your opinion. Also- any perspective on whether I should be paying over blue book for either car? My father is suggesting I hold tight and don't pay above blue book, but the dealer is telling me that the Prius 4 is in higher demand so it is above BB. Thoughts? Much appreciated!

2. PartsNinja

PartsNinja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Morningmoon. I just bought my Prius 4 last month and I got the solar moon roof package with mine. If you live in a state that gets warmer like it can here in Georgia, it is very nice to have. The fans keep the car from turning into an oven. I am glad I got it even though it just kind of came with the car. If you live up north, it is probably not a big deal and the sunroof is not very mileage friendly anyway. Opening it up is like opening a parachute on the highway!
    My opinion is that the mileage on the odometer is not a big deal on a Prius. They are built well, they last, and for the most part the previous owners take good care of them compared to some other Toyota models. This is my first Prius and I love the car. I sold my Camry even though this was supposed to be the second car. Now it is all I drive.
    I know car prices are all local. But I wouldn't let them bully you into paying more than you are ready to. I shopped for nearly a year before I finally found mine at the price I liked. I agree with your dad.

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You can get a brand new Prius Three for less than that the San Francisco area.

4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A dealer will tell you anything. For the prices you are talking about I would buy new.

irrational and Merkey like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ripoff alert!!! ^agreed^, negotiate a new one. in your area, they are selling for cheap!

Merkey likes this.
  6. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2011 package 4 with solar roof and 27k miles was 17 grand when I purchased 14 months ago. Depending on region, these quotes seem high.

7. Morningmoon

Morningmoon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow- thanks. I ended up buying the 2012 for 20k. I'm not going to dig around now to see if I got ripped off. I'm happy and in love with my car!!!

irrational likes this.
  8. prius121212

prius121212 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless it had 50 miles, yea you got ripped off.

Okinawa likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a good attitude. it's fruitless to look back, as many do here. enjoy your new car and the amazing mileage. all the best!(y)

irrational and Morningmoon like this.
  10. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think the 12 over the 11 was a good choice, enjoy the ride and the savings.