1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Price of Loaded Prius vs. Loaded Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cary1952, Jun 3, 2006.

1. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have been waiting for several months to find out what a loaded Camry hybrid would cost that is comparable to the Loaded Prius. As of now on the Toyota.com link there is only the cost of the basic hybrid.
    However, today I went on kbb.com and found the options listed for the Camry hybrid. I have a #8 Prius and the sticker on it was $29.466. A loaded Camry hybrid comparibly equipped (with Leather, nav, spoiler) priced out at $32, 666. This included a moonroof, but did not have HID lights, or a backup camera. Since I do not have XMS radio, i did not count that either. 18 inch wheels are an option for the Camry for additional $1922.00 If you purchased every available option and accessory you could top out a hybrid Camry for over $35,000. Considering everything, my $29,466 Prius seems like a bargain! Gotta Love it!

Cary in S.D.

2. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The other thing you'll hopefully be most likely to notice is significantly better MPG's in the Prius, than the Camry Hybrid. The dealer where I purchased my Prius did have a Camry Hybrid available briefly this week, sticker was right at $31,000. Can't remember exactly all the options. When it comes to MPG, the Prius simply can't be beat.

3. jmccord

jmccord New Member

Isn't the tax credit better on the Prius as well?

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ Jun 3 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]265146[/snapback]</div>
    And no HOV lane access for the Camry!

5. ThunderJon

ThunderJon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jun 3 2006, 09:37 AM) [snapback]265171[/snapback]</div>
    And don't discount the great cargo capacity/versatility!!!

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, for me, the hatchback and fully folding seats is the deal breaker. Granted, I like the look of the new camries and I'm sure they are much more luxurious, but when I had my regal and needed to begin home some stuff from the home store, I was always worried about damaging the interior. Now I carry drop clothes in the back-side compartment and carry stuff all the time.

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cary1952 @ Jun 3 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]265123[/snapback]</div>
    Your number on the Prius package #8 is correct but the price you got on the TCH is WAY too high.
    TCH ( Leather, Navi, Heated seats, JBL + BT, SunRoof and spoiler ) is right around $30600. I'm delivering one of each today. :D Outside of some accessories there's nothing more to be added.

This brings another point into question.....

Whither the Prius? ( separate post )

8. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeadPhish @ Jun 3 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]265229[/snapback]</div>

$26480 vehicle, $470 conv. package, 249 liight package, 699 prof. package, 940 moonroof, 1200 nav, 1300 leather, 299 Pref. accessories, 259 tinted glass, 179 mud guards, 159 door sill. This is what I would buy. Total Cost is...........$32, 234.

You are delivering a cheaper one! Actually with wheels, remote start and every available option, I could build one for over $35,000.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I drove a (conventional) Camry once. Compared to my Prius, I didn't much care for the Camry. I'm sure it's a great car, as long as you've never driven a Prius.

10. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 3 2006, 06:33 PM) [snapback]265352[/snapback]</div>
    I drove a Camry (conventional) rental for a few weeks last year. I sure liked the OEM sound, seats, and handling better than the Prius. Did miss the Prius's steering controls, SKS, and other features.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    but I drive both weekly. We have an 02 Camry XLE and a Prius. I love the Camry's seats and its JBL audio is waay better than the Prius'

12. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

I designed a site for just this task: http://www.truedelta.com/prices.php

I think I've had full pricing for the Camry Hybrid for at least a month, maybe two.

Plug in the features you want, the program does the rest, even adjusting for features that aren't shared.

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just checked out your True Delta, the pricing information is incorrect. When I option a 2007 ES to the UL Level it comes out as being $2500 more than the price from Lexus.

Comparing vehicles "apples to apples" by not using packages is worthless when its impossible to buy the vehicles the way they're compared. I don't see the point.

14. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jun 5 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]266222[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I just updated my data for the ES. What I had in there was based on preliminary data. One thing missing was prerequisites, what you must order together, as this information wasn't available earlier. These are always so much more difficult for Toyota and Lexus models than any others.

Option package availability for Toyota and Lexus models often varies by region. I don't try to sort this one out. I wish I knew why they were the only manufacturer to do this on such a widespread basis.

Partly but not entirely for this reason, it appears that the number of option combinations you can get is much smaller than the prerequisites I find listed on other sites would allow. (These prerequisites aren't explicitly stated on the Lexus site, unlike the Toyota site.) For example, it looks like you must get the ML audio/Nav package with the UL package, even though any site on the Internet says you only need the Nav. And why not just make Nav part of the package?

I use packages, you just don't have to select the packages, the program does that. Price differences are provided before and after adjustments for feature differences.

The adjustment for feature differences was initially created to assist with vehicle reviews. I was sick of lazy reviewers comparing a heavily loaded car with a relatively stripped one and complaining about the price of the former.

Theoretically, the owner derives a benefit from additional features, and the price adjustment tries to reflect this. But the pre-adjustment comparison is also there.

Essentially, I'm trying to answer the questions of this sort: "So, how much more does Toyota charge for the Lexus ES compared to the Camry?" If you don't adjust for features, you're going to get an inflated number.

Again, thanks for the tip. Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

15. r53

r53 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cary1952 @ Jun 3 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]265299[/snapback]</div>
    50 State Emissions (FE)
    - Comfort & Convenience Package Includes: Heated Front Seats and Outside Mirrors. (CQ)
    - Moonroof Package includes: Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sliding Sunshade, Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Dimmer Control & Rear Personal Reading Lights (SR)
    - Sport Leather-Trimmed Seats & Door Trim w/Integrated Armrests & Dual Front & Rear Map Pockets[15] (LA)
    - Voice-Activated DVD Navigation System[13] w/JBL® AM/FM 4-Disc In-Dash CD Changer w/Satellite Radio Capability[7], MP3/WMA Playback Capability, Aux Audio Jack, Hands-Free Phone Capability Via Bluetooth®[8] Wireless Technology, 8 Speakers in 6 Locations and FM Diversity Reception (NV)

Accessories don't count. Based your discussion on packages.

Configured at 30390 at www.toyota.com

16. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(r534me @ Aug 8 2006, 02:18 AM) [snapback]299524[/snapback]</div>
    and by the way, you can't get remote start on the Hybrid, only the gas camrys.

17. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 3 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]265352[/snapback]</div>
    As one of the few on this site to have both hybrids, with them both almost fully loaded, the Camry is a far better car to drive, IMHO.

It's quieter. It's more comfortable on longer drives. It has a way better stock stereo sound then the Prius.

The Prius wins the MPG war, but since I put Status rims on the Prius, it's not far behind, the HyCam, when it comes to MPG.

The Prius has better steering wheel buttons (the layout is better). I do love the fact that the HyCam has the map disc in the dash.

More headroom in the Prius. More seat adjustments in the HyCam. More storage spaces in the Prius. Better CD storage space (for those of us with CD'S and their cases), in the HyCam.

Oh, and the '07 HyCam has the override, that allows you to even making phone calls with the dial, which is better then the Prius (at least the '06 and up versions; my '05 has the override)

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the Camry has the JBL as standard lol. I know the JBL audio in the Camry is much better than the Prius. Our Camry is the 02 model and with 6 speakers, it sounds much better.