1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pricing a Prius on Kelly Blue Book KBB

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by HolyCow, May 17, 2014.

1. HolyCow

HolyCow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know this may seem trivial but how do you know when to select Hatchback 4D or Standard Hatchback 4D on Kelly Blue Books Website? The difference in price is substantial to making the right deal.

I'm in the market for a 2009 Prius. I found some information that I thought was solid but I'm not so sure anymore. According to Automobile Magazine website, the key differences in Base Hatchback and Standard Hatchback are the Keyless Entry and Folding Rear Seats that come on the Standard and not the Base.

The difference is about $800 in price. How would I figure out by inspecting the car if a 2009 Prius is Standard or Base Hatchback?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. HolyCow

HolyCow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The problem is pricing it out on KBB. Picking Standard Hatchback yields an Excellent Condition price of $13,225 and picking the Hatchback (without Standard in the title) yields an Excellent Condition price of $13,843 all options equal. It's confusing me since the values from thereon down are affected and crucial in making a fair deal.

I spoke with the seller of the 2009 you linked me to in San Diego. He made sure to point me to the "Hatchback 4D" option on KBB which yields a higher market value. He was insistent that - that was what he had. However, what's not to say he's got the "Standard Hatchback 4D" option instead? This would bump $800 off the market value posted on KBB which gives me more room.

P.S.

In the Standard Hatchback 4d option you get to pick packages. In the Hatchback 4d option you don't have the option of picking packages, only options. It's confusing. If he indeed has a package 2 and he didn't pick out options himself, his car would have a KBB Excellent Market Value of $13,225.

P.S.S.

I wonder, in 2008 if you went into Toyota to buy a 2009 Prius, how would they present their cars? Would they explain the Packages available from 1 - 6? If you just wanted a basic Prius and didn't care about options, would they give you a Package 2 without you knowing it?

For some reason, this minute detail in KBB pricing is making a substantial difference in pricing even though all options are equal.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have to base it on "hatchback". That will give you to price it with the packages 2 and above. You would still have to check off all the options to get an accurate price.

"standard hatchback" is the standard package 1

5. HolyCow

HolyCow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, sir.

I got it backwards, the "Hatchback 4d" is where you can pick packages. It makes sense now.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That car could possibly be a package 3.

Many owners don't have a clue on what package they have. So you would have to look at it yourself to determine. It should be a minimum package 2, possibly a 3.

7. HolyCow

HolyCow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No 6-disc CD changer or Bluetooth. It has a regular CD player, might not even be MP3. No alarm. Not sure on Homelink.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    at $13999, he's spot on with the kbb value at "very good condition". anything you negotiate off would be below kbb value.

keep in mind most cars are in the "good condition" category