1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2001 Exhaust issues, not sure where to post.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Drag31, May 17, 2014.

1. Drag31

Drag31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    First off I wanna say, I'm sad I didn't know about Priuschat sooner.
    I got my first prius (though be it used) about 3 months ago and I love it, it's the best car I've ever owned.
    I come to you fine people with a problem, I was driving home today and my prius become suddenly very loud as if the muffler had come off. I stopped the car hoping it was something simple I could see, but I couldn't see a thing. Until i got home set up some boards and drove up onto them- I took this photo (without climbing under bc the thing is up on some boards).
    [​IMG]
    I've little to no knowledge of cars- but I can follow directions very well.
    Can anyone identify the part by name and or part number?
    Anyone know a ballpark of what the replacement will cost?
    Is there any short cut i can take such as a liquid weld product or having the part professionally welded back into place?
    Where should I be posting this?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, you've come to the right place for all things Prius related. Looks like you need some parts, or at least someone who's a dab-hand with a welding torch (or both). I feel sure someone will chime in with some recommendations for sources for parts, or with the name of a tame Prius mechanic local to you (where are you? BTW - it might be helpful if you were to post your location) - in the mean time, good luck, and welcome to PriusChat! - Wil

3. Drag31

Drag31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

Thanks for the warm welcome!
    I'm located in southern IL, Carmi area (middle of no where land)

4. texaslorraine

texaslorraine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

5. texaslorraine

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Texaslorraine here....I needed to replace my cat converter and O2 sensors...went to Auto Zone and they had a Walker converter, reasonably priced and a schematic of the under side of my Prius 2003, with the exhaust replacement parts available for less than $150. My muffler guy (small town) cut off the old and replaced the Cat conv and sensors for 100 bucks. This is verses the dealership (large town) wanting $1900. My gas mileage is still not it was when I bought her 11 yrs ago but still decent at 37 - 40 mpg. this depends on my driving fast or normal or AC on. Ethanol killed my gas mileage years ago. Anyway the alarm lights on the dash are gone. halleluya! Thank you Prius Chat and Youtube, and a mechanic book set a friend gave me. Good Luck.

6. texaslorraine

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

7. texaslorraine

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go to Gen II 2004-2009 Main forum, and under that you will see Gen I stuff in small print.

8. Drag31

Drag31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The car is in great shape other than a few small issues.
    The front drivers side bearing needs changed.
    Any way- I took the car to a few guys, one was very willing to help for a reasonable price.
    He did a weld job on it then coated it in some liquid weld to protect the welding from the rust.
    [​IMG]
    It's been almost two weeks and it's still holding up with no issues and it's not triggering any check engine lights.
    While I doubt such a patch job would fly in some states it's going to do just fine in Southern IL were some people drive around without exhaust at all.