1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2001 heat Gauge

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by illusion4sx, Jan 30, 2015.

1. illusion4sx

illusion4sx New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2001 Prius. It started few months back where I get all kind of codes and the heat gauge shows up for like 30 seconds then the Triangle and Check Engine shows up. I used to pull over and disconnect the 12V battery but I found later on that the car would keep going fine even with all the Gauges on. I did replace the air filter. The issue almost gone away when the weather got colder. I just had to reset the battery after 40 mile or so.
    Now, the overheat light comes on and after few seconds, the car just lose power and wouldn't respond to the gas. I have to disconnect the 12V battery or sometimes I just have to turn the car off for a minuet or two and that might clear the lights for the overheat. The other day I turn the heater on to see if that would cool the car. Inside the car it was hot as hell but when I pulled over and checked the Radiator water, it was as cold. Is it possible it is the transmission that gets hot? The car now as not having enough power even just when I drive it while it is still cold. The only code I get is c1259. unplug the 12V battery and plug it back in is not clearing this code. Any clue what should I do?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It sounds as if you might be using a code scanner that isn't able to read codes from all the car's computers. C1259 is a code that will be in the brake computer only because the HV computer has told it something is wrong. A Prius-aware scanner (MiniVCI, ScanGaugeII programmed with XGAUGEs, etc.) is needed to get the codes out of the HV ECU. Or a trip to the dealer, where they already have the scanner.

You might be right about the transmission being involved, as that would lead to codes in the HV ECU (where your scanner can't see them). The engine ECU has its own codes for engine cooling problems, and any OBD-II scan tool would ought to be able to pull those.

-Chap

3. illusion4sx

illusion4sx New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    p3191 / c1253 / c1256/ c1259 / c1213 / p3120 / p0420 / p0325 are the codes I was getting. I think the P0325 was about the transmission. I have my own scanner that gives only codes for all cars. And I have another cable that connect to the computer and that does more I guess. I still take it to the mechanic and have them use their scanner and clear the codes. The only code I was getting toward the last was the p0325. But since I can't drive the car for long distance like I used to, I am not sure if that code would come up now. My questions: If I can borrow ECU from a friend .. which one should I try .. the main one or the break one? If it is really the transmission, what are the singes of it going bad? I used to go 100 mile /h while these codes where showing and go up hills. I have the car over seas so it is hard to find someone know what the hell they are doing when it comes to Hybrid. That is why I am trying to fix it on my own or at least do the diagnostic right.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I like your enthusiasm but it would help if you'd update your profile with nearest City. Sometimes we can recommend skilled shops and members nearby who might be able to help:
    Perhaps reading: Who should and should NOT buy a 2001-03 Prius | PriusChat
    (FYI, I fixed the table whose format changed with the new release.)

I wrote the first post but like 'Stone Soup', the comments complete our often repeated advice to new members. I was about to write 'new Prius owners' but I'm neither 'new' nor are our 2001-03 Prius. <GRINS>

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have you checked the inverter coolant pump yet? This sounds just like the typical symptoms for that.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

• p3191 (engine) engine didn't start
    • c1253 (brake) pump motor relay circuit malfunction
    • c1256 (brake) malfunction related to accumulator low pressure detect
    • c1259 (brake) HV ECU has reported a problem
    • c1213 (brake) communication error with HV ECU
    • p3120 (HV) transaxle malfunction
    • p0420 (engine) catalyst efficiency below threshold
    • p0325 (engine) knock sensor circuit malfunction
    For the P3120 (probably your first order of business), you want a scanner that can show you the 3-digit "INF codes". There are 24 possibilities that go with code P3120, and eight of them have to do with temperature detection.

You'll find all this information (and what it means, and how to follow it up) in volume 1 of the service manual, available at techinfo.toyota.com.

-Chap

7. illusion4sx

illusion4sx New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was told by someone that is not the issue because I just changed this one few months back. I was told there is another coolant pump that controls the water flow in the radiator.. any clue what is the exact name or where is it located so I can ask a mechanic to check it out? No sure how they will check it but I am going to assume they should at least know that part. The car from US but right now I have it in Jordan ... yep close to all the fight and stuff. I have to be sure it is running perfect if I need to escape to the US embassy :)

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a belt-driven engine water pump just as on older cars, and there is also an electric pump but its only purpose is to keep fluid circulating through the heater if you have the heat on while the engine is stopped.

There are codes for the engine overheating, and you did not list any of them. You did list a transaxle code, but that code has 24 possible subcodes to indicate what is going on. If it were my car, I think my next step would be to have those subcodes read.

-Chap

9. illusion4sx

illusion4sx New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Chap. Do you have the direct link to the list of the sub codes please?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm not sure I can give a usable deep link into techinfo.toyota.com, but once you're signed in, just look for the 2001 service manual diagnostics volume (corresponds to Volume 1 of the printed set), look for the DTC chart in the HV transaxle section, and there they are. That chart also gives the page numbers for the necessary troubleshooting procedures for each code.

Cheers,
    -Chap

11. illusion4sx

illusion4sx New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did show it to an experience mechanic and he suggested to change the thermostat to start with. That would make the Engine hot since it is a common thing with the prius I guess. It opens sometimes but some other times it get stuck. I hope this will resolve the old issue (the knocking sensor). I will keep you posted.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would probably move that lower on the list of suspects, just because you've given a list of codes that you have, and you don't have any of the ones that indicate engine overheat. But if you want to be sure, you can plug your scantool back in and select realtime data, and watch the engine coolant temperature. The thermostat is supposed to regulate it at around 82 to 85 C (180 to 185 F if your scantool reads Fahrenheit). The electric fans are supposed to kick in if the temperature reaches 90 or 95 C.

If the fans aren't starting and the scanned temperature isn't going any higher than it's supposed to, you probably don't have a thermostat problem, so that could be worth checking before you skin any knuckles on a thermostat job.

-Chap

bwilson4web likes this.
  13. illusion4sx

illusion4sx New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I paid for a mechanic to change the thermostat ... $7 .. not bad.. ha? I love these third word countries .. cheap labor. I drove the car around the area and the temp light didn't come up so far. I have to drive it long distance to see if that knock Sensor code will show up. I will keep you guys posted if anyone is reading this thread.

usnavystgc and bwilson4web like this.
  14. illusion4sx

illusion4sx New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So, the thermostat change didn't help. So the temp gauge turned on and I had my scanner plugged in and didn't give me any errors. I did reset the computer but it did turn the temp light for a second then back here it goes. At one point while driving long distance despite the temp light on, the CHECK Engine, The triangle of death came on. I reset the computer and all went away except the temp light stayed on. I checked the water in the Radiator and it was warm so it is not over heating. I just installed another used ECM or the car computer. We will see what happen when I drive a long distance and keep you guys posted.

15. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can we see a picture it this temp light?

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

A week ago you posted a list of codes that the car computers have given you. There weren't any codes about the engine overheating. There was a P3120 code, which needs to be followed up by reading the INF codes that go with it, as eight of the 24 possibilities have to do with monitoring transmission temperature.

You've also essentially confirmed that you didn't have any engine overheating codes to begin with, by seeing that an engine thermostat didn't solve the problem and your engine coolant temperature isn't very hot.

If your car could yell at you about that P3120 transmission code, it probably would right about now.

-Chap

17. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What if the "heat gauge" isn't the temperature light?....

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe the picture will reveal that. I'd still investigate the P3120 though.

-Chap

19. illusion4sx

illusion4sx New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes.. that is the temperature light that goes off. I am not sure if I posted that Chap but in this retard country, they don't check for subcode because they have no parts. That is what a hybrid shop told me. For the P3120 to show, I have to drive 30 miles and that is not possible since it is a small city. the thing is, the temperature light goes off every 5 miles or so and when that goes off, the car almost lose power and the only way to drive after that is to reset the battery. So if I try to keep the code P3120 on the dashboard, I will not be able to drive the car to the hybrid mecahnic to tell me the subcode. Does this make sense? So i have to resolve the temperature light first then I have to go back for that P3120 code.

20. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This sounds so much like a bad inverter coolant pump.