1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2014 standard OEM wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CapeAnn, Feb 26, 2014.

1. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was checking inflation on the 2014 a few days ago and noticed two things:

1. The car came standard with wheel locks. The tire jack has the dedicated key attached to it. Cool.

2. The wheels are kinda blackish/greyish, and cute in a ugly way. This begs the question - who would want to steal these alloy wheels? And is this the reason they stick on those plastic wheel covers?

Personally, I like stuff like this because it's a bit of Japanese design quirkiness.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'm sure the wheel locks were not "free". Check your MSRP sticker, probably cost you $59. So you basically paid for a lock for something that nobody would ever steal.

Edit: My mistake, they cost you $67

Alloy Wheel Locks (PIO) - $67
    Front and rear wheels:

3. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL! I'll have to look for the MSRP…it's somewhere. I think the only freebie I got were the Massachusetts "Honeydew" jelly-filled donuts at the dealership. Cholesterol to go. :D

hybridbear likes this.
  4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These Dealers lay awake at night thinking of ways to screw the customer.

hybridbear likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wheel locks are not necessarily a dealer installed item, with an extra charge. Our 2010 came with them. D.O. for our previous car (not Toyo).

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was at my Dealer today and noticed a new Prius with 17" wheels and tires. Looked at the factory window sticker and gasped at the price. $3,000 dollar, dealer added item.

7. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are some things that are free via Toyota - and that's the great advice here on Prius World (chat)! :D

I do remember that during the bargaining process asking for locks, but bargaining them out so I could get mats and a silly cargo net. So, I have a feeling they came standard on the 2014. Spock from Star Trek would find this addition "illogical" with the exception of the Blue shift knob. I think there's some carbon fiber in that knob somewhere? :D

8. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When buying, I said the same thing about why anyone would steal these fairly plain 15" wheels. I think the dealer put them on everything. Rather than pick a fight over them in particular I just focused on the overall car price without concern for add ons like that. They never tried to push them as some value added item.