1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius allows a Summer vacation for 2 under $2,500, but where?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JMD, Jan 22, 2013.

1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The 2012 Gen III Prius has been a great investment. The savings of $200 per month for gasoline is building a Vacation saving account. The account will have a projected $2,500 this summer. Can anyone suggest a good destination for 2 adults. Nothing in the Southwest since we have exhausted California, AZ and NV. Looking for some ideas. Open to Domestic or Foreign travel. Prefer 7 days but will take 5 nights for lodging and transportation. Food can be excluded. Thoughts?

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Oregon coast is nice, as is pretty much anywhere in BC. You could drive there and back, but that would take up most of the holiday.

Do you have specific preferences for what you like to see and do? Are you interested in..say, museums...mountains...architecture?

JMD likes this.
  3. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like Culture but just chilling out and relaxing is key. Great food and drink of course. Enjoy doing day time stuff like exploring with some night life but not overboard.

4. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are you saying Portland in Oregon or someplace else?

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Portland's not bad, as cities go, but I was thinking more of the dunes area, and the beaches. Highway 101 hugs the coast, and is a far more scenic drive than I5.

When I go on vacation, I prefer to get out of the city, not go to another one. But of course, we all have our own tastes, which is why I asked. A week of hiking or sailing may not be what you had in mind.

OceanEyes and Adam Leibovitch like this.
  6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A non-CA idea: an old-school Northern Michigan resort.

fireside inn grand lake

Some friends told us about this place and my girlfriend and I went last summer. It is truly relaxing. However, it is certainly NOT luxurious as the cabins are pretty rustic (old, but with electricity, indoor plumbing and running water). Breakfast (made to order) & dinner (single entree) are included, plentiful, and tasty. They ring the bell atop the tower at 9:00 and 5:00 for meals. Grand Lake is large and calm, with canoes & kayaks included. There are a number of good places for day trips like Alpena, Cheboygan, & Mackinac Island.

Some other pros (or others consider cons):

- Some cell phones don't work
    - No TVs
    - No real night life..

8. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My fiancee and I are hopefully going to be honeymooning in Vancouver BC. I think we're looking at ~$2000 for a decent hotel/rental car/plane tickets. All told we'll probably come in at under $2500.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  10. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The best kept New England secret is 10 miles from my home. Family activities for those with kids... Stuff for couples.... Good restaurants, movies on the beach, ocean, good fishing, beaches...now that I work here I earned my "local" status.

My other favorite place is Newport, RI.... Lots of great beaches, sailing and history.... Been going there since I was a toddler and it is a fun place... Quiet if you need quiet and nightlife if you like that kind of stuff.... The Cliff Walk was a fun challenge... No guard rails and a narrow path looping behind the mansions... Nothing like a six mile walk skirting the ocean on a summer day.

Now if you are limited to the west coast, camping from Mt. Shasta to Vancouver to Banff/Lake Louise through Montana and back to San Jose was my best experience... Lots of hiking and the Butchard Gardens are breathtaking.

Hope you find a fun place for you and your spouse!

11. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take at least a day trip to Victoria while you're there if you can swing it.

OceanEyes likes this.
  13. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hawaii? Maui, Big Island or Kaui are my favorites.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that's good advice. Especially on a nice day, the trip itself is very pleasant and scenic, and there are plenty of fun things to do and see in Victoria. BC Ferries also serves the Gulf Islands (the BC equivalent of the San Juans) and other places further North. There's an overnight ferry - not exactly a cruise ship, but a higher than average class of boat and service - between Port Hardy and Prince Rupert that traverses the beautiful inside passage. There are far more possibilities than you'll ever explore in a week, but with some research and making choices, you're bound to have a good time. Plus, it is a honeymoon, so you might not even venture beyond your room. ;)

OceanEyes likes this.
  15. Paul79UF

Paul79UF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We just moved from Florida to SoCal, so we're just beginning to explore the area.

How about a South Florida trip? You can check out the beaches, alligators, the keys, boating, snorkeling, party in South Beach.

OceanEyes likes this.