1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Brake Recall – A Little More Information

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prius Team, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Lucky2beme

Lucky2beme 1st Time Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, thank you for your reply.
    So SOMEONE is listening! :confused:

I got a post recommending I call 800-331-4331 so I spent 73 minutes waiting to officially report my cruise control problem.
    Von was a very polite young man who took down the complaint. Because there was no record of my having reported the problem before.
    He could not bring himself to say that it was a problem that my dealership did not report my complaint last Aug when I first reported it to them. It is not his department that did not reply to my emails; but he did apologize that I had a problem and that I had not received a reply verifying that I reported it.
    Every company has left hand/right hand issues. But dealerships and Toyota need to get it down NOW. Von made a comment that he may not have access to complaints made to a dealership...I am sure he was trying to protect/defend my local dealership, but, where transparency is most critical is where Toyota needs to see clearly into customer complaints made at the dealerships...because I can tell you that the dealerships will not be eager to relay any complaints they are not required to report...and even then...
    I never thought I would own a new car. I wasn't willing to pay the "lot drive off fee". But when my Mom passed I was given the gift of a once in a life-time opportunity to own the new car of my dreams. I wanted to be "The first one on my block" to own the amazing 2010 Prius Hybrid with solar roof, Nav system and Smartkey.
    I don't expect Toyota to care as much as I do.
    But I expect them to care.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    btw ... it'll be easier on the eyes if you nix the tootie fruity text.
    ;)

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps you might describe the cruise control problem?

Bob Wilson

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's hard to read with all of the colors.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Out of curiosity, have you explored a Lemon Law remedy? 4 Failed repair attempts and you get your money back (less deduction for use up to the point of the 1st failed repair attempt). Might be something to consider. Also, in California, your legal representation is covered by the manufacturer from the get-go.

6. Lucky2beme

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A half dozen times since I bought the car in June, when I press the cruise control button the light appears on the display showing it is on. But when I push down to set, the "Set" light does not come on and it does not maintain speed. ( I am going well over the 35 MPH min.)
    In the past, once I turn off the car it would resume function when I started again. The last time, however, I had to stop and turn it off again before it resumed it's function. I use my cruise control A LOT!
    No operator error here.;)

7. Lucky2beme

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So far I can't even get an acknowledgment that I reported a problem!!!
    My dealership said they would have to keep the car to see the error!!!!

Unless they are going to give me a loaner Prius while they drive it around for a month or so, that's not going to happen.

I just wanted to report it in case others are having the same problem, and they had a fix! :D But there I am being optimistic again!
    I would go for a lemon dealership, though. We have bought 2 other cars from them, but this is our first new car. I guess I expected more?!?:confused:

8. Lucky2beme

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So Sorry!
    I find color is a great way to create emphasis and separate subjects!
    I find men don't like it as well as the women I chat with! ;)

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Intermittent, the most difficult problem to diagnose. Have you found any way to replicate it at will?

The minimum cruise control speed is 23 mph but 24 mph works better if there are hills and bumps about. But this is a nit, not related to the problem.

You have to stop the car and turn off "READY"?

Does turning the cruise control "ON/OFF" have any effect without having to "turn off the car?"

Once I get above 24 mph, I'm always on cruise control. I don't like the bother of having to fiddle with the accelerator to keep within the speed limit.

Bob Wilson

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Another question for you Lucky, to go along with Bob's questions.

When the cruise control is working and is set can you decrease the speed in 1 MPH increments by tapping the stock down and does this work right every time. Looking for evidence that there may be a bad set/decrease switch.

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Well, keeping the car overnight or two is one thing. A month is bullsh*t. Although, 30 days total time in the shop gets you to a Lemon Law resolution; so....

...snip...

Sounds like time for a new/different dealer. There is nothing that says you have to take your car to the dealer who sold it to you.... It just has to be a Toyota dealer.

12. Lucky2beme

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I have to completely power the car off.
    Of course I tried turning the cruise control off & on many times during the same trip without any change.

No identifiable conditions. Usually freeway once on road to highway. But I have tried varying speeds with not success once it has failed.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Doug, does complaining formally mean calling your help desk & describing the problem to the dimbo that answers the phone or logging the situation with the Federal government or both?

Since December I have yet to speak with a competent Toyota or Safety Connect employee (or subcontractor) whose job is to answer the phone or respond to a call.

14. Lucky2beme

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't tried that feature, but my husband says he uses it regularly and it functions fine.

We are driving to Vegas this weekend. Maybe it will fail for us on the trip! :cool: But I don't know of any way to effect it's onset.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "Can not replicate the problem" sounds like the Toyota dealer hired Mr. Goodwrench. Are your service trips logged at http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/index.html? At least you should have a paper trail from the service writers on your trips to the dealer.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Paragraphs work well to separate subjects, and are the preferred method in most manuals of style.

Color can work for emphasis, but over-emphasis causes a loss of emphasis. To emphasize something it needs to stand out from the background. If the background is just as loud and obnoxious, the emphasis is lost.

Tom

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You've just described the problem with "Bell the Hybrid." When every box on the road goes "ping," no one can tell how many or where the boxes are coming from or going to:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

19. Lucky2beme

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Doug,

I called to schedule my 10,000 mile oil change, and have my ECU adjustment. The lady doing the scheduling, Diane told me it is their policy that they can not report or fix any problem that they can't duplicate. She said she has no way to report my cruise control failure to Toyota, unless they can see it fail!!!
    She kept telling me that this was their policy!!!
    Michele Lynch who is the Customer Care Manager she referred me to was not available and did not call me back when I left her a phone message yesterday.
    This is the continuing disconnect I get with Toyota.
    So I should drive out of my local dealer in my home town to find a dealer who does know how to contact Toyota? I STILL have received NO CONTACT FROM TOYOTA about my reported cruise control failure. NONE! My official 50 min phone call report did not give me the courtesy of an email or any other kind of written response acknowledging the problem or any promise of resolving it!
    Come on people...

20. Lucky2beme

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting that I get as many comments about the colors I use than the issues with my toyota.
    I guess that you have your priorities! ;)
    The manual for style should also cover customer complaints being acknowledged by the manufacturer!
    I guess my loud and obnoxious style is not getting me any more help than your patronizing judgment toward my writing style.