1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C 4 Negotiation

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by cvg2005, Nov 25, 2014.

1. cvg2005

cvg2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in the market for, you guessed it, a Prius C 4. I have been to 3 dealerships so far, mostly to ask questions and test drive, and today I was ready to buy. Or so I thought. I went through my USAA car buying service to get a guaranteed price. They quoted me 22,170 (not including tax and title) for the color I want with the moonroof. I called the dealership yesterday to ask about getting the color I wanted, and specified that I didn't want any additional optional features (like side moldings or 16" wheels) because I wanted them to match my USAA quote. Of course they said they can get the exact car I want, and that price is guaranteed. Yay!

Went in today, test drove and sat down to do paperwork. They brought me the specs of the car, and of course there are $1700 worth of "extras" on it. That's the bigger alloy wheels, some carpets and the body side molding. Then they tell me that the 22,170 includes $1000 cash back only if I pay cash, and since I am financing it I don't qualify. I had called to ask about that exact thing, and of course on the phone they told me they would match the price anyway. Fine. Not the case now that I'm in the dealership.

So bottom line they offered me 23,855 (not including tax and title) and said it was the best they could do. MSRP is 25,870. I walked away and said I would need to think about it, given that I was mislead about two very specific things that I had stipulated before coming in. Do I do this deal? Essentially I would be paying $1700 for extra things I don't care about. Along those lines, how much is color worth? I really want that blue and as we get closer to the end of 2014 I am sure it will be harder to find.

Would appreciate any feedback or opinions. This is my first car buying experience, and I don't want to be taken advantage of but I also want to know if I am being naive in thinking I can do any better than what they're offering. Thanks!

2. hieronymous

hieronymous Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    They are taking you for a sucker; if you bought would you trust them in the future for repairs and servicing costs?
    You want a guaranteed price - stick with it and keep looking. It costs nothing.
    If you buy you will have higher financing costs, and $1700 less In your pocket, on top of the 20% depreciation as soon as you drive off the dealer lot.
    Of course you can get the deal you want; just be patient and it will come along. Be assured you are doing the right thing!

GT-I9300 ?

3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    NO, NO, NO.
    It is typical dealership BS but it is not right.
    Don't stand for it.
    They made you a promise and they should stick to it........TO THE PENNY.
    In this case, that means that they give you the "extras" for free.
    Be strong; don't give in.

4. bob violette

bob violette New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just recently purchased my c4. did all the leg work on the computer. Started at Edmunds and was able to get it right at 22k. I suggest going that route...