1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Aftermarket Stereo

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Wharfe, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info DJM. Still on the fence about an amp. It goes pretty darn loud with just the head unit. I think the added work & expense to put in an amp might be a little much. I don't need to deafen myself anymore! Still not ruling it out, though. The audio guy in me would definitely like the clarity of a proper amp. Just not sure I want to go through the process!

Pitt, can't speak much for Nav head units though I'd say the Alpine one is probably a safe bet, though it's $1200! The only Double DIN they make. I wanted an Alpine HU but just wanted a basic one so they didn't make anything for my case, I went with Clarion instead.

Also Alpine makes those booster things for their head units which are supposed to easily plug right in, another good case for Alpine.

Like DJM said, any Double DIN head unit will fit. Just waiting on the dash kit. My local car audio place actually sent me away saying they don't "make anything" for my car so the best they could do was hook a booster up to the factory head unit. LOL!

I've got the SWI-JACK waiting for more info on which wires to connect it to in the C.

2. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]
    light blue and pink... just like i mentioned.

pin 21 and 22 of the 28-pin connector.

2 people like this.
  3. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks very much Squall. That's a big help. Suppose you don't know which resistor to connect where?

4. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the wire from the pac-swi.. which should be white.. is connected to both the light blue and pink wires of the vehicle.. with the resistor in between the pink wire (pin 22).. pretty sure.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pittmonster

Pittmonster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I noticed the navi that comes in these cars are 6.1 inch screen. The double din receiver im lookin at is actually 7 inch Pioneer AVHP8400. I was told on here that any double din will fit .Will this one fit as well even though the screen is bigger. Do u think just running some alpines off the deck will be powerful enough and clear enough. This is my delivery car so if not much of a difference ill avoid amp

6. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Please post link to the adapter that worked. Thanks.

7. DJMaudio

DJMaudio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes... Any double din will fit.
    Also running alpine type R speakers off of head unit power will sound pretty good. BUT... Running alpine type R speakers off of an Amp sounds 150% better. Any real decent speaker needs to be amplified to show what it's truly capable of. When I get my C (its been on order and should be in the last week of May) I'm going to install Hertz High Energy components in front and Coax in back. I'm going to power them with an Arc Audio XDI805 amplifier. The 5th channel will power a recessed subwoofer that I'm going to put in the tire well with a custom fiberglass enclosure. For a head unit I'm going with either the DNX6990HD or DNX9990HD. It is going to rock!:rockon:

For anyone changing their head unit out to an Alpine... Alpine makes a pretty sweet little power pack amplifier that is super easy to install (KTP-445). It only works with Alpine head units though. It adds a good amount of power for an awesome price. It's never going to be as good as a real external amplifier, but it is a great solution for a lot of people.

Scosche has already posted a wiring harness (TAOTB) as well as antenna adaptor (LSAAB). Many people on this forum have already had success with the PAC-SWI's... We are really just waiting on a dash kit.

My sources at Scosche and Metra say that it is 100% in the works.

Can't wait to get my C!

8. DJMaudio

DJMaudio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just noticed that the thread posted blue smile faces for the letter "B" in my previous responce

9. Pittmonster

Pittmonster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Lookin to get a good stereo and never touch it again. Was thinkin Alpine SPR-60 or JL Audio C3-650. I want a good all around speaker and want to avoid putting a sub in so decent bass response .Will the step up to the jl audio components be night and day difference in quality. Thanks for all the input . Gettin my c in a couple weeks.Im pumped. Got a old manual honda insight still sippin ;]

10. kevkranker

kevkranker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The KTP-445U is now available for any head unit. :rockon:

11. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again, Squall. I will report my results!

Pittmonster, If it's double DIN it will fit. Amp or not comes down to your personal choice. I like to crank mine really loud, that's part of the reason I am a little hungry for more power, but the 20w x 4 does go quite loud. I'd put an amp in but I think it's too much trouble and I will leave it.

actiondonkey, the METRA 40-LX11 seen here is what I used to hook up the factory antenna to the Clarion head unit.

Also I was going to mention what kevkranker said, The Alpine KTP unit is now available for any head unit. Seems great, a compact amp. That would fit in the C dash I think. Although its power output is double the Clarion, that will only yield about 3dB more loudness, which isn't much. Though I believe the clarity would improve having a better amp. It's only cheap, and I was glad to see it, almost bought it, but again I think I am going to leave everything as is.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm selling high end stereo equipment in the Private sale forum. I realize you c guys do not venture beyond the c forums much so I wanted to give you a crack at the items before they go on Craigslist. :)

Ramon Fernandez and Surrylic like this.
  13. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Squall, how did you manage to get your hands on that wiring diagram for the C?

Edit.. nevermind, I found the site.

14. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    And thanks to Squall, the SWI-JACK is installed and working in the C.. just like you said. The Pink & Blue wire are together on the harness, just tapped in there, both to the white of the SWI with 560 ohm resistor in line from the pink, programming was fairly easy.

Wish it was slightly more responsive, need to give the buttons somewhat of a more firm push it seems, but it does work indeed.

Good stuff!

15. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    with the steering wheel adapter.. there's always going to be a slight lag as the signal needs to pass thru the adapter before it reaches the stereo.

i have access to wiring diagrams at work... and repair manuals... and well... pretty much everything.. lol.

16. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Agree 100%. I just dropped in my new JVC and the difference is huge. I'm still putting in the new speakers w/h amp hookup tomorrow but non-audiophiles might just stop at a new head.

17. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI anyone looking for wiring diagrams like Squall posted, http://techinfo.toyota.com has it all. Costs a little money but you can get 2 days access for $15. Not bad. Great help and its great that anyone can access it.

18. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Update that I don't like the Clarion CX501 much so I've got a new JVC unit on order. Color, touch screen. Should be much cooler :cool:

19. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    IMPORTANT UPDATE!!

My drivers side speaker has been flaking out, I noticed it was happening during rain or after car washes, but suspected it was a loose wire...NOPE.. The speaker is soaking wet. Even some small rust spots already! I thought this might become an issue.. and it has.

Why is there so much water getting in the doors?

Anyways I originally had some deep foam baffles which made things sound terrible so I cut the backs off them (plus they were a bit too deep)... What I should have done is cut the back in such a way to create a shield for the speaker. Oops. Live and learn.

So I am going to order these shallow ones now and cut out the bottoms only so that the top will act as a shield and hopefully keep the speaker dry. I also hope that it sounds just as good having only small cutouts in the baffle vs. having the entire back cut off.. without the back off there was no bass at all.

So.. save yourself time, trouble, and the risk of ruining speakers .. put something in to protect them from water.

Surrylic likes this.
  20. Pittmonster

Pittmonster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    What did toyota say about this? Anybody else experiencing Wharfes prob? I dont want to buy good speakers if the car gonna leak.