1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Aftermarket Stereo

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Wharfe, Apr 20, 2012.

1. freeze13

freeze13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Being new here , i was reading some post about aftermarket audio system , my question is : is there a how-to remove the factory head unit on the prius c ? thanks in advance.

2. Lockdown Security

Lockdown Security Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Everyone

Just wanted to add the Axxess brand ASWC steering wheel control module is easier to install and program than the PAC SWI modules. No resistor required either, and it auto programs, wire it up, plug it in to the radio, turn the key to ACC and the module is programmed.

As for a kit, use a Metra 99-9999 universal single/double din panel, needs a little trimming to fit but it works great as an interim kit until an actual kit gets released. If anyone needs one pre-trimmed we can help you out.

3. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    They didn't say anything. From what I can tell it's just how things are. The doors are sealed as in there's no water getting in the car, but water does get in between the outside metal on the door and the inside piece. It's not a problem really except it gets on speakers, so cover them up!

4. Pittmonster

Pittmonster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Has anyone tried the Axxess brand ASWC steering wheel control module. Do all of the steering wheel buttons work properly? Where do i get wire harness? Model number please? And is the metra 99-9999 the only temp rig. Cant deal with lousy stereo and cant be sloppy .Thanks. Wharfe, What are you gonna do to protect speakers ill probably match what your doin to protect my speakers

5. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Remove the plastic piece on the dash that surrounds the head unit (It also has the emergency flasher button, and the spot for Push Start whether you have it or not) .. That whole piece pulls off quite easily. I did it with my hands. You may need something to pry a corner off to get started.

Then when that's off you'll see 4 big screws facing you, 2 on each side of the head unit. Undo those and the whole thing will pull right out, then you just disconnect the wiring harnesses and it's out.

You'll need the brackets on the side of the head unit for mounting a new one. The screws holding them to the HU were extremely tight. I got most of them off with a drill but had to actually drill one of them out it was so tight!

6. freeze13

freeze13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks Wharfe , i will try that over the week end . i'll keep you post on how toufgh the screws were...

7. Pittmonster

Pittmonster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Well. I decided to go with a jl 700/5 amp its 80x4 rms and 300x1 rms. Wonder if ill need a cap. I have hat imagine 6.5 speakers up front alpine spr-60 in rear and 10 jl w3. hopin all fits ok. All being shipped as we speak. Do all aftermarket decks need the antenna part from metra or just the clarion?

8. Lockdown Security

Lockdown Security Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    The Metra 99-9999 has to be modified to fit, it is essentially a 12 X 12 piece of ABS plastic with gridplate on the backside, and a pre-cut double din opening in the middle. It makes life WAY easier due to the double din opening already being cut. You have to grind the edges to fit *behind* the OEM radio trim.

When done it's not perfect, but it's much better than leaving the gap between the aftermarket radio size and the OEM radio size.

Theoretically you could trim the 99-9999 to perfectly fit flush with the OEM radio trim panel, but that would take a lot of work to get perfect, so it's way easier to leave it behind the OEM radio trim (this means it doesn't sit flush with the face of the OEM radio trim).

Hard to explain thorugh type, easier to see in the below photo (not resized so apologies for the hugeness of it). Look at the edges around the radio trim, you can see the 99-9999 sits *behind* the OEM trim.

[​IMG]

9. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like it. I just switched out the Clarion for a JVC and it had the same connector, so I still had to use the adapter.

Also gave in and ordered that new Alpine universal KTP-445U amp. I've been contemplating it for a long time, finally figured I'd just do it!

10. Pittmonster

Pittmonster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Well I installed my stereo today now I have a warning that says hybrid system problem park vehicle immediately . I don't get it . I got out and looked at the back seat and my power cap was inactive as well . Tried hookin stereo up direct same error. Unplugged stereo ... Same deal . Even reset battery . The Power cap works... maybe a bad surge. ? Had the cap and amp grounded together in a distribution block. Maybe that was it should've grounded amp and cap separate? Anyway will dealer have to reset something cause I'm not sure what happened.

11. Pittmonster

Pittmonster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Update on my scenario did some reading and found out that the 12 volt battery was drained down a lot and charged it up and now all is fine thank god lol

12. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Pittmonster, glad you sorted that issue out! Hope it doesn't happen again. Do you have the remote wire connected to the amp so it's shutting off?

Another update on my system, installed the Alpine KTP-445U.. Awesome! It's a tight fit in the dash with that, the SWI-JACK and all the wires.. but it's all in there.. and it all works. Sounds great. And I didn't have to go through the trouble of installing a big amp in the car and running wires to it. Now I am content with the setup!

13. gas sipper

gas sipper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i'm pretty new to stereo installations only installed one before and took me hours does anyone know what harness i should buy for the head unit? thanks!

14. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    The same harness has been used in Toyota since 1987, so there's only one Toyota harness to pick from!

15. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wharfe, I have a question for you. I found a brand new Alpine KTP-445 (without U) for $56 with taxes and it seems like a good deal. I also found in internet that this unit with some rewiring should be compatible with most of the HUs too. I want to put it together with my original HU and a set of PolkAudio components in the front and coaxial at the back. Does this thing drain a lot of power from your battery? Can you see any difference with your MPG?

16. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I have noticed. It's a tiny thing, so no added weight, and the power draw seems to be minimal!

17. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. The last question. Is it should be powered directly from the battery, or you got the power from some other location? I don't have the amp in my hands yet, but in the box it looks like the power wire is tiny.

18. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't power it from the battery. That's one reason I didn't go with a bigger amp, too much messing around running new wires, etc. The idea of the 445 seemed to be simplicity, wires right in behind the head unit. That's what I did. Tapped the power wire on the harness side (Not on the car side - as not to damage anything attached to the car) and it's been fine. The cars power wire is pretty tiny but it's fused and I haven't had any issues, and I crank mine loud.

19. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks a lot for all your help!

20. MrUPSer

MrUPSer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Today I ordered KTP-445U. Im going to install that to the factory HU, and connect SPR60 & SPR60C. Any tips on installing Power pack. Thats where I'm most nervous about installing.