1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Tranmission/Transaxle/HSD Oil Change

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusCpilot, Apr 1, 2013.

1. dangarlepp

dangarlepp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just changed my ATF in my C. I drained exactly 3 quarts out. When I filled it, it took 3 and 3/4 quarts before it flowed out the fill hole. Should I have only put 3 quarts in or did I do it right by filling until it flowed out the fill hole.
    Thanks
    Dan

2. dangarlepp

dangarlepp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Never mind, I see I did it right from the post above.

3. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just did the change it was so easy! Thank you Toyota for making the car so user friendly to maintain!

I added a Gold Plug magnet on the drain and torqued to 29lbs.

I need to get the Mityvac Plus which can also do fluid dispensing or the MV6400 which also does dispensing but with more features.

With the Mityvac it can be done in a hour.

Also, make sure the car is level so raise the rear up. This is need so that the fill hole is level. You won't get the correct amount in other wise because it will leak. I used the jack point near the center behind the pumper. I drive up ramps in the front.

4. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    can we get some pictures? hopefully of the ATF oil product to order, pictures of where the hole and drains are, so non-mechanic savvy guys like me can do this??? <3

Stevie likes this.
  5. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The ATF is Toyota WS.

Sorry but no pictures. Maybe next time Im under I can take some?

6. Stephen Wall

Stephen Wall New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    PriusC ATF fill plug on passengers side. Drain plug on drivers side at bottom. Per service/repair manual, torque on both is 37 ft lbs. There is no plate to remove to access. Tried to post pictures but I'm not "approved" for that yet. My original WS ATF drained at 26,262 miles is basically the color of thawed raw liver & attempting to look through a small amount of it spread thin in a zip loc bag looks the same & is non--transparent.
    Color doesn't tell the whole story, but it's interesting.

7. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

No, you are wrong about this. The tranny will be more than fine at 100,000 before a flush.

Only the uninformed would think of flushing it at 30,000, or 60,000. It's a huge waste of $$.

Stevie likes this.
  8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your definition of huge is slightly different than mine... $20 every 60k miles isn't huge to me.

mertechperformance likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I darken my dentist's doorstep, now THAT'S a huge waste of money. Transaxle fluid change? Not so much. And, it isn't a flush, pretty much the lot comes out.

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Really...that's like saying Defender "will be more than fine" to secure your Server, because using anything else is "a huge waste of $$". Good luck with that one too.

gsmckee likes this.
  11. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't need luck. All I need is facts, and input from real Toyota engineers. My tranny will be more than fine at 100,000 without a flush. As was the case for my two 2007 Yaris, my 4 Honda Civics, my CR-V, and several other cars.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dan Lovell,

Fact be known, you could change the oil/filter 3 times and the front tires twice and your Prius will likely make it to 100,000 miles (barely) doing nothing else. I'll give you this, it's a guarantee your car will last until your next purchase. :rolleyes:

You have 12 posts and it appears you just want to argue in most of them. Do your self a favor (or not...I could personally care less) and learn a little from the wealth of knowledge provided by seasoned owners on this forum, who just might know a little more about this car than your self. However if you just want to talk about how "smart" you are, http://priuschat.com/f/freds-house-of-politics.70/ is the place for you. Just message a Moderator and your in.

Sincerely,

The Mechanic.

orenji likes this.
  13. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with that.
    But in this case, I mostly agree with what he said too.

I get a little nervous letting things go for 100K miles before being serviced, that includes plugs, coolant and tranny oil. I get nervous around 60K miles and do the plugs and drain and refill the other serviceable fluids.....including the brakes if that hasn't been done. I NEVER "flush" anything that isn't showing symptoms of trouble. Never. (Except brakes, of course, which pretty much requires a "flush" to get the fluid changed.)

Some people get nervous a little sooner than I do............but asserting that those things "need" to be done aroung 30K miles is just OCD and totally unnecessary........except maybe for making you feel better.

Every time you mess with something that doesn't need it there is a chance of mucking something up in the process.

mertechperformance likes this.
  14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do a search, the analysis has already been done for WS in Prius transmissions. The consensus here is first at 30,000 miles then every 60,000 there after, though I consider this minimum.

But what do I know...being just some dumb lowly mechanic that maintains almost 700 $50,000,000 aircraft for a living. ;)

PS - For those that "don't know", the Prius transmission is not flushed, it's drain and fill like a gear box.

gsmckee likes this.
  15. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The consensus "here" would seem to conflict with the consensus among the Toyota engineers.
    While I don't totally dismiss either, guess which I put the most stock in ????

And there you go again, trying to tell us that the Prius is an airplane. :rolleyes:

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are good for a laugh. Have a nice day. ;)

17. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm going to change my oil every 30k. It was very easy. I bought a ATF pump from Mityvac so it will be even easier.

That's why I bought my Prius C new. I know most people don't care about changing anything but engine oil and even that they don't do sometimes.

orenji and frodoz737 like this.
  18. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is obvious you are a Toyota parrot. Please allow us that have different opinions discuss them without your shoving yours down our threads. Your experiences are only one part of the story.

Please go back and read this entire site for another month, then come back and join in the ...conversation... without being so smug and overbearing. That is a combination that, as a Prius driver, you should not want to emulate.

Tyler S likes this.
  19. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mr. Incredible, why are you so into ordering others around? Why so controlling?

I may be new to Prius but I'm not new to cars, transmissions, motors. So there is no reason for me to keep my mouth shut just because I have 12 posts.

I've owned 4 Toyotas and have never changed the AT fluid before 100,000 miles per the manual, and none of these cars experienced AT failure after 200,000 miles.

Those with objective scientific minds would understand. It seems you're not one of those.

20. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I guess for some it might be a peace of mind issue as well. Yes, I can see where it would be ideal to change it sooner, to maintain the transmission. If others are okay with not changing it or waiting till after 100K miles, okay. Just like with anything else. I am going to get mine changed at my next service at 35K. I just think prevention is better than a cure. I will just feel more relaxed that it has been drained and filled. If you feel it is not needed, I respect your decision. At the end of the day, it is MY CAR, MY MONEY, and TIME, and I will spend it however I wish maintaining my car.