1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Tranmission/Transaxle/HSD Oil Change

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusCpilot, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You have no idea...

The I Will Have Order is a joke from the Harry Potter movies. You get it, or you don't.

The question would be more of why YOU are so into ordering people to do exactly what the Toyota mother ship is telling them to do. You realize, maybe, by now, that not everybody is ready to sit back and leave maintenace to the lowest common denominator crowd.

You've had a bunch of cars. Ok. How many miles did they have on them under your care? 100k each? 200k? 50k? 25? Do you even change your own fluids, Bro? Do you even have a toolbox? Doesn't much sound like it.

Puhleez. Objective scientific mind? Bullying, schedule-observing, there's-only-one way, do-as-I-say brow beater is more like what we are hearing from you.

Listen carefully if you want to get along with the other people on this forum. Don't be a prick about things. There is more than one way of doing every maintenance item, and not everybody cares what the manual says. I change oil at 5k mile intervals for the reasons I choose. I can justify them in my own home. If you want to wait and do it per the schedule, I'm ok with that. I will not tell you in polite words that you are stupid and WRONG. You take out the trash right handed, I take out the trash left handed. It's all good. If you want to make everybody do things your way, you are in for a lot of grief and ignoring.

I used to be like you. I'm all better now. I let people do things their ways, maybe...MAYBE I'll have an opportunity to show them how I do something and they learn a new way. Maybe that way suits them, maybe it doesn't. But it's ok.

They way you have spoken to the rest of us here shows that you have not read all the threads about changing oil, changing transmission fluids, or probably anything else. Having a lot of cars doesn't make you the expert on anything, it only shows that you go through cars quickly. If you want to be listened to and respected here, read all the many threads here and come back after you see how we treat each other. Granted, I'm a little more outspoken with you now, but we don't come across people acting so high and mightly very often.

gsmckee and mertechperformance like this.
  2. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ironically I don't change my engine oil at 5k or even 10k. I am doing it at 12k based on my oil lap report.

Using the Toyota 0w-20 with K&N/ M1 filter, I'm showing good results too 12k.

Mo G likes this.
  3. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mr. I, I have tools and do my own fluid changes, but I'm objective because I only do them when required. I'm not one of those that changes a fluid for no other reason than to feel good. This reason is irrational and a waste of time and money. Just my advice to others.

4. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Dan your right about waste time and money but in this case the fluids have been tested in lap. You can search for numerous posts on the data.

The fluid breaks down over time due to heat cycles and wear metals.

You will easily get out of warranty and even more with the factory fill.

To get to 200k+ mile and far beyond is another story.

5. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Following research I changed my ATF at circa 60k miles. It looked like shite at that point and the mechanic agreed that it was the right thing to do. Whether it was a waste of €50 or so, I don't know, but it has given me piece of mind for the next 60k

6. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It's a choice. It's not right or wrong. Whether it is wasteful is an opinion, and frankly, not under your control.

And those that change fluids early most certainly do not deserve the scorn and contempt you appear to have for them. Lighten up, Francis.

Tony D likes this.
  7. citroenjohn

citroenjohn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The French have a saying (I know the spelling is wrong) Vive la differance. I think it fully covers the varied opinions on how to maintain our C's. One thing we can all agree on is that it is a wonderful car that serves its intended purposes with aplomb.

HappyPaul and Tony D like this.
  8. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What do you use as the change indicator? TBN?

How much iron per 1k mi are you getting? Could you show UOA?

Do you get a UOA every time, or have you done one or two for a trend and then just change at an approximate mileage?

9. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I looked at the wear and TBN and also Blackstone Labs recommendation.

This was done during my first oil change so wear metals will even be less.

I plan on doing another down the road at around 40k miles.

Attached Files:

10. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Scorn? Contempt? No, none of that from me. LOL

How long have you had this victim's conscieousness?

Believe it or not, it's ok to have alternative views. No need to feel jabbed or told off.

It's called discussion, the exchange of opinions. Discourse even.

It's what educated grownups do :) lol

My vote is just follow the dictates of the manual, take with a grain of salt verbal advise from Toyota service staff, and mechanics in general.

Follow the manual and you'll most often be fine at 300,000 miles.

11. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for that.

I did a UOA at the first change at 1500mi. My numbers were very similar to yours.

I've done changes 0n the 5k miles and have the 25k coming up. I haven't done any other UOAs, though I will do it on this one coming up.

The iron, aluminum, and copper appeared a bit large, but not alarmingly so. Halve them for a 5k mile change and the aluminum looks ok, the iron about right, and the copper still a bit high.

The silicon, though, while coming down is still high. I would think my changes would have flushed that out. Not that it's a problem. My LS1 was a copper shedder first class, but by the time I got it the copper was already gone.

Nope. I don't see any issues doing 10k mile intervals. I just don't want to. I still have 2000mi before my next change. I'd better get busy...

12. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Dan, I've done what I felt needed doing. You were a jerk, and got called out. We'll see whether you continue being a jerk or have learned that not everybody feels your need to follow the manual to a T and don't need to be called names for it.

Enjoy your car. It is, after all, just another car.

13. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mr. I, you called me names, hello?!

And you speak for all the other posters too?!

You did what you felt was needed?!

You're a funny guy, wow!

Have a nice day, Mr. I!!

14. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And you are NOT a funny guy.
    Even through the keyboard your attitude comes across loud and clear.
    He certainly does speak for me too........although I've expressed it directly.

gsmckee likes this.
  15. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jaysus! Some people are VERY passionate about oil!

mertechperformance and Mo G like this.
  16. thetakara

thetakara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Hey now! Don't bring science into this. Science is based on the scientific method.

Maintenance intervals are just all based on personal preference or experiences with other cars. Manufacturer sets general guidelines to keep things running okay. It's up to you if you want to do things more often for peace of mind or draw things out to save money or feel it's unnecessary. Drawing things out could POSSIBLY shorten part life, but it's just the risk. To each their own.

With that being said, one group's experiences don't make fact. Knowing "plenty of people with problem x" doesn't make it a problem or fact.

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For those trying to following this thread through all the egos and attitudes, read the data supplied through analysis of samples taken by members on this site and determine for yourself what "your" priorities are with "your" vehicle. Some folks just gas and go, others follow the Toyota's "minimum" recommendations, others do more to protect and extend their investments. Whether you just buy a new vehicle every 2 to 4 years, or keep your vehicles 10 to 20+ years, the choice is yours...and so are the results.

18. maddog61

maddog61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have pics of prius c fill and drain plug location

19. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The drain is in front of the passenger side front wheel.

[​IMG]

The fill is right here,

C oil fill.JPG

Mo G likes this.
  20. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the pics. Seems pretty straight forward. How many quarts do you put in?