1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Valet Key

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by vdefender, Feb 19, 2013.

1. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What is the Valet key for?? Traditionally, the valet key is for the ignition only, and doesn't allow access to the locked glove box, or the trunk. But the prius c is a hatch back and the glove box doesn't lock. Is there anything on the car that doesn't function when using the valet key?

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  3. prioki

prioki Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm confused. Both of the keys I got are exactly the same and fully functional. My husband carries the second one on his keychain. I do take it off when I valet so I don't have to give them my house keys.

ztanos likes this.
  4. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have three keys. Two black with built in lock/unlock buttons. And a third which is grey and has no lock/unlock buttons

RocMills likes this.
  5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's weird. I received exactly what Prioki received. Which was exactly what the thread I linked to was saying all its members received. Hmm... But then both Prioki and I have a c4.

6. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a C 2. The manual for the C2 shows three keys, two with fobs, and one valet. It labels it as a valet but doesn't say what the difference is!

RocMills likes this.
  7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I can't imagine there's a difference. Does the unlock button on the fob unlock all the doors? Maybe it will slow them down a little. o_O

8. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well the two master keys, with built in fob, operate the same, and have the same shape. The grey 'valet' key I got has no buttons, and the tip of the key is shaped just a bit different. Which is normal because that would prevent it from opening the trunk for instance. But I don't have a trunk! Lol

I guess when I get home from work I'll take the valet key and see if it works for driving and opening the door. Lol

RocMills likes this.
  9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It would have to work for both... otherwise it's just a hunk of metal.

10. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Right. My main thought was, maybe it's not a key for my car and the dealer got it mixed up. But if it does work that's great because I'm going to put an aftermarket alarm on and use my valet key because its smaller and doesn't have the factory lock/unlock which would be useless with an aftermarket alarm

ztanos likes this.
  11. PFlat

PFlat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We bought 2 c2's 3 weeks ago. Each came with ONE fob-key and one valet key. Weird.

12. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There definitely something wrong here. How are we all getting different keys? Check your manuals and see what it says for keys. My manual says 2 fobs and one valet.

13. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our C1 came with two key/transmitters and one valet.

vdefender likes this.
  14. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have the Canadian equivalent of the US C 4. I only received 2 fobs and no valet key

15. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Woah, a bit of confusion in this thread.

If you have a One or Two (ie. no SKS), you are supposed to receive a total of three keys - two "Master" keys with the built-in remote fob and one "Valet" key without the remote. There's a slight difference in appearance for the Valet keys between the One and the Two, because the latter has an immobiliser.

If you have a Three or Four (ie. you have SKS), you just get the two fobs.

In the US manual this information is on Page 44.

I've got no idea why Toyota gives a Valet key when it's a hatch with no lock on the glove box.

vdefender likes this.
  16. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My Prius C 2 came with two fob keys and one valet key. all keys will manually open all locks on the Pruis C. the only difference between the keys is that the 2 fob keys have a battery controlled transmitter which allows the user to open the door locks remotely from a distance. two clicks within 2 seconds on the fob keys will open and close all door locks on the car, One click on the buttons only unlocks or locks the driver side door. One interesting thing to know. I removed the transmitting electronic device fron the fob key (including the electronic circuit board AND battery for a test. Note: The key with the electronics removed still worked perfectly in the Priuns C 2 ignition switch. That is to say, "I got a READY light. Bottom line... If the battery becomes dead with time or use the fob keys will still start and operate the Prius C 2, The only function of the battery in the fob keys is to remotely open and close the doors!

Klaatu likes this.
  17. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My C2 and my mother-in-law's C2 both came with two regular keys and one valet key as many others have described.

18. norahs

norahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have a C3 and received 2 smart keys/fobs. Each one has a little button that says "push" on it and the bottom key portion pulls out. The dealer told me that this pull out portion is for valet. I've never quite figured out how that would work... I would just hand them the key portion and take the fob with the lock/unlock buttons? What difference would it make

19. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Oops... your dealer was completely wrong. The pull-out mechanical key on the SKS fob is ONLY a back-up if the SKS is not functioning and all it will do is open the driver's door. It has no other function. To start the car in this situation, you need to press the brake pedal and hold the fob's Toyota logo to the Start button until the car detects it through induction (and displays the usual symbol on the MFD), then push Start.

There is no Valet key with SKS and if you don't give them the whole fob, they won't be able to start the car.

vernon birdman likes this.
  20. norahs

norahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

thanks! psh.. dealers. hehe