1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C / Yaris / Honda Jazz

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by rogan, Nov 13, 2014.

1. rogan

rogan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at a new car for mum. She's 77yrs, and still fit and able. She currently driving a 14yr old Corolla.

She's test driven the new Yaris and likes it, but wants to test the C before making any decision. I've included the Honda Jazz (might be called a Fit overseas) as it looks to be the best of the other brands in the budget.

She lives in the inner suburbs so 50kmh driving stop/start with short runs on the motorway. She's doing about 10,000km/year and will be keeping the car until she trades it for a mobility scooter.

My big question is what's the C like to get in and out of for someone who's getting on and bound to lose some mobility. Any oldies on here with a C that could give any thoughts.

thanks

2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i always thought the C and yaris had about the same exact seat and height set up. if that is the case, then both would be the same in getting in and out.

3. mark schofield

mark schofield Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have the C2. The drivers seat not only goes backward and foreward but also up and down. I'm 6'6", wife is 5'2". Both in the 70s. No problems.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd have her drive the Fit/Jazz, and then the "C" before doing the coin toss.

With her driving patterns any of the three will be about as good as the others in terms of frugality.
    Yes...the C will more expensive out of the gate, but it will pay for itself in the 15 years between now and the mobility scooter.
    The Jazz/Fit will be more opulently appointed than the C for the same money, but it will be slightly more expensive to operate year over year.

It all boils down to which one Mum likes....and thus I'd have her drive each at least once....maybe twice.
    Look at it as a nice chance to get some lunch dates with your Mum and enjoy the process.

5. skayaks

skayaks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    She no longer drives, but my Mom (89 years, and about 5'8" or 1.73m) gets in and out of the C passenger seat without trouble.

6. rogan

rogan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone. Good info right there

Yep, she can have whatever she wants. When she makes up her mind then we'll ask for the demo model for a couple of days. If they don't do that I'll rent one off Avis or whoever

7. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have owned a 2010 Honda Fit and a 2012 and 2014 Toyota Prius C. At the age of 63, there is no difference in the exit and entry of any of these vehicles. I have driven a 2015 Honda Fit and the entry and exit is no different than the 2010 Fit hat I owned. If you want to avoid gas stations, buy the Prius C. If you want the most storage space in a small vehicle, buy the Fit.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely a personal preference thing.

We own a Honda Fit/Jazz:
    • Fuel pedal is too sensitive (I think kids like it that way.)
    • Visibility is excellent
    • The seat encourages good posture
    No experience with the Yaris

9. rogan

rogan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a quick look at a Prius C and have found a dealer who has the Yaris and the Prius C in the same colour so mum can compare side by side.

Price wise, the base model C, Yaris SX and Jazz RS cvt are all the same. The high spec C (called 's-tech') is considerably more expensive and doesn't add a lot of useful kit - bigger wheels, bigger spoiler and leather interior.

Links:
    Toyota - Yaris Hatch SX Specifications
    Toyota - Prius c
    Jazz RS CVT - Honda New Zealand

Funny how I'm agonising over the details, yet I couldn't care which car she buys as long as I see the same glee I saw when she picked up her Corolla 14 tears ago.

10. NuttyKat

NuttyKat Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have both a Prius C and a Honda Fit. Getting into and out of both cars is the same ease for me and both are fun, responsive cars to drive. Your mom will have more cargo flexibility with the Fit and the magic seats, but the C will provide much better gas mileage, as dick_larimore stated. I know in the US, the 2015 Fit is a new generation with improved gas mileage and standard options it does not include on the base models of previous years.

Either way, I think she will be smiling. Let us know which she chooses.

11. rogan

rogan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting day. Met mum at local garden centre and jumped into her car then off up the road towards the Toyota stealership. Just before we got there i directed her into Honda to look at the Jazz. Mum had no idea we were going to look at anything but Toyotas so this was immediately met with complaints of wanting to stay with Toyota and not being interested in other brands. So told her this was probably the best of the non-Toyotas and she could use it as a benchmark.

So lets just say her approach was fairly negative. Had a good look at it and a test drive and the Jazz is now a serious contender. The Yaris and the C are out, but the Corolla is in the frame now.

Basically the interior space and the magic seats were a game changer. Mum thinks she needs load space and good space for passengers. I cant remember the last time she needed to haul anything big and since she cant medically lift heavy things i get called in with the kia grand sedona when theres anything big to move. But if she thinks she needs it then so be it.

The Jazz is a phenomenal package (in my humble opinion) . The interior finish feels alot classier than the same pricepoint Yaris & C. It has more fruit, although we have no need for things like satnav. I'd read alot about the magic seats and expected to be dissappointed, but they're that good, maybe better. Im 6'2 and could fit in the front passenger seat with seat as far back as possible. I then jumped into the seat behind and my knees weren't touching. On the drivers side i didn't need the front seat as far back and there was massive space for the back seat passenger.

A big surprise was under the bonnet. Most cars have covers everywhere and you can't reach around the engine. The Jazz had no covers and you could easily reach between engine and firewall, with good access to headlight bulbs and the like.

The only 2 complaints were the thing is a bit fast, it's decptively quick and easy to accidentally get over the speed limit. Secondly the reverse camera is fish eye as opposed to wide angle. I think you'd get used to it, but it's completely different to all the reverse cameras I've used.

One interesting thing, the New Zealand waiting list for the Jazz RS in most colours is 2 to 3 months. Fortunately the blue mum likes is in stock, but she's in no rush to buy and i'm not expecting her to buy before xmas.

After driving it, mum has decided the yaris /C are too small, so now the decision has become easier, but also more complicated. My money is on the Jazz.

Got back into her car and was pleasantly surprised the it still felt good. The old Corolla is holding up well and is still a nice drive. Mum still loves it.

Most importantly, went back to the garden centre, into the cafe, and had a nice relaxing afternoon tea. Good result

12. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I think any of the cars discussed would be a good car for your mom. However, having been an AARP member for 32 years, I cannot stress enough the importance of ease of entry and exit. We lose flexibility as we age, so I suggest that she get the car that is the easiest for her to get into and and out of. In a few more years this may become far more important than color or hauling capabilities.

13. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that the new Jazz? As in the 3rd generation? It looks nice from what I've seen on the 'net. The new H-RV is based on it too

We're not due to get it until 2015 here in Ireland.

14. rogan

rogan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, and all 3 look to be similar in entry / exit. Overall height: Jazz is tallest, Yaris next then C, with about about 3 inches separating the Jazz from the C. Door opening angle appears same. The Jazz and C have keyless entry and start, the Yaris doesn't. But mum isn't valuing entry/exit yet, and we're buying what she wants, which may or may not be what she needs!

Yep, 3rd gen.

Tony D likes this.
  15. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Fit and Prius C are good the Yaris not so much because of driving while selecting stations etc. Owned all three tho I can't fault reliability of all of them. However, a better alternative may be the Nissan Leaf SL all electric car which I also own for Mon to Friday gofer. Outstanding, roomy, drives well but fidgeting not great either. The ability to drive into garage plug in and go about house duties is superb. And electricity costs a lot less than even $3 gas; reliability is also outstanding. And a lease is cheap. If you drive less than 65 miles per day, can't beat it.

SageBrush likes this.
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent advice for the US, but OP is in NZ

17. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Fit and Prius C are good the Yaris not so much because of driving while selecting stations etc. Owned all three tho I can't fault reliability of all of them. The Prius C is best on mpg.
    However, a better alternative may be the Nissan Leaf SL all electric car which I also own for Mon to Friday gofer duty. Outstanding, roomy, drives well but fidgeting not great either. The ability to drive into garage plug in and go about house duties is superb. And electricity costs a lot less than even $3 gas; reliability is also outstanding. And a lease is cheap. If you drive less than 65 miles per day, can't beat it.
    Better, no maintenance needed other than checking tire pressures but a 240v charging station is almost required but there are designated providers for the Bosch one.
    My Prissy has been relegated to weekend duty - and that is great. Lot lerss miles.

18. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Fit and Prius C are good the Yaris not so much because of driving while selecting stations etc. Owned all three tho I can't fault reliability of all of them. The Prius C is best on mpg.
    However, a better alternative may be the Nissan Leaf SL all electric car which I also own for Mon to Friday gofer duty. Outstanding, roomy, drives well but fidgeting not great either. The ability to drive into garage plug in and go about house duties is superb. And electricity costs a lot less than even $3 gas; reliability is also outstanding. And a lease is cheap. If you drive less than 65 miles per day, can't beat it.
    Better, no maintenance needed other than checking tire pressures but a 240v charging station is almost required but there are designated providers for the Bosch one.
    My Prissy has been relegated to weekend duty - and that is great. Lot less miles.

19. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My Prissy has been relegated to weekend duty - and that is great. Lot less miles.

20. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two