1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Center Console Re-Cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ThomasI, Oct 28, 2014.

1. ThomasI

ThomasI New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought my 2005 Prius last week, I'm already absolutely in love with it. Since I'm so excited about it, I want to make it the best machine possible. The first thing that I notice about the car is the center console, elsewhere the car is clean but the upholstery of the center console is GROSS. I've looked on here and saw the cover that you can buy for it, but in the end I would like to strip off this old fabric cover and put on a nice fancy black leather one. Is there any step by step "guide" for doing this modification? And where do you suggest buying the leather? Thanks!

2. thegoldenhand

thegoldenhand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Really easy to do. There's 2 screws holding the cover to the hinges. Remove that. Then remove the screws on the cover to free up the piece with the fabric (the upper part). Once you got it off, the fabric is just glued to the trim and it's got a little foam on top as cushion. Go to a fabric store like Joann's or Michael's to get the fabric of your choice. You will also need to get a new foam (a thin one) along with some tacky spray glue. What I did with mine was I used the old fabric as pattern in cutting the new fabric. Lay out the new foam first and let the glue dry. Then start working on your fabric cover one side one corner at a time. Take your time to stretch the edged out. If you've covered your notebook or books in gradeschool before or have wrapped gifts, then you should have the skill to work that new fabric into the cover. Pay close attention to the folds and creases. Then put back the screws and mount it back to the console hinge. Goodluck!

Tips - The thinner the form the better as it does not create unnecessary creases. The thinner the fabric the better too. Something that it easier to shape. Don't go for those thick leathers.

Don Shouse and Data Daedalus like this.