1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Computers (ECU's)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kenmac, Dec 11, 2004.

1. kenmac

kenmac New Member

Hi folks,
    I saw somewhere a list showing the ECU's and their purpose, but now I can't find that info anywhere.
    Can someone post that info, or point to a relevant link/thread.

There doesn't appear to be many references to them as a group, on the various info sheets, even in John's excellent sheets - no mention of computers!
    This is surprising, considering their importance in controlling everything in the Prius!

kenmac

2. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    This link only listed the various ECUs:

message#64167

I'm also interested in the detail functions of the various ECUs.

Vincent

3. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How Many Computers in a Prius

I tried searching this question and found the above old and lengthy answer. Is there a simple computer count with brief description of each?

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I was told by the Prius tech when we bought the car that in the Canadian model (no nav) that the count was 14. Now don't ask me to name all of them. :blink:

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  6. Vincent

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    hdrygas - Thanks

For future Prius Computer searches, I did a "cut and paste" of your 11/17/05 Acronyms and Abbreviations posting of the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) section that describes the following 14 (15 with Navigation) computer control units in the car:

1. HV ECU High Voltage ECU This is the brains of the HSD receiving and sending signals from all parts of the HSD turning driver request (shift, accelerator, break) into action by parts of the HSD system.

2. ECM Engine Module controls the ICE (spark, fuel injection, valve timing etc) delivering the proper amount of power to the system under direction of the HV ECU and informs HV ECU of ICE state.

3. Transmission ECU after receiving On signal from HV ECU monitors the Parking Switch (button) and when pressed it locks the hybrid trans axle and locks when brake is pressed and car is placed in D, R, N

4. Skid Control ECU Controls regenerative brake effect by MG2 and the hydraulic system to mimic a conventional hydraulic system as well as functions of Brake Assist, ABS (Antilock Brake System) and VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)

5. ECB ECU = Electronically Controlled Brake integrated into the Skid control ECU to calculate required brake force based on peddle effort and force.

6. EPS ECU = Electronic Power Steering ECU controls the power assist to steering column calculated from input from the Skid Control ECU and various sensors

7. Battery ECU monitors the SOC (State Of Charge) and battery temperature communicates with the HV ECU and controls the HV battery cooling fan.

8. Power Source Control ECU Controls the push button start system receives signals from switches and ECUs communicates to the HV ECU power on power off

9. Air Conditioning ECU calculates the compressor speed based on input from sensors using a nonlinear fuzzy logic system controls blower speed

10. Meter ECU Transmits vehicle speed signal, receives information if smart key is in vehicle and sound the warning sound in car on request of other ECUs (the source of the annoying beeps)

11. Body ECU receives door lock and unlock request and monitors if smart key is in vehicle transmits this to Smart ECU over a serial connection.

12. Transponder ECU Controls the HV immobilizer by recognizing the key ID code also works with Smart ECU in cars equipped with SKS. Transmits an HV stat authorization to the HV ECU

13. Smart ECU Checks ID code received from wireless transponders in the car and transmits the code to the Transponder ECU

14. Navigation ECU provides navigational features as well as Voice recognition and Bluetooth connection.

15. Gateway ECU provides communication between the 3 LANs (Local Area Network)

SFO likes this.
  7. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi hdrygas,

Does the NCF actually define HV as High Voltage and not as Hybrid Vehicle? I 've seen other Toyota literatures reference it as Hybrid Vehicle. For eg. Slide 12 of this presentation from Dave Hermance,

http://www.epri.com/event_attachments/2093...wEfficiency.pdf

Anyone know what is the definition of HV ECU in the Service Manuals or the Repair Manuals?

The other Vincent

8. Vincent

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    vincent1449p

Hi other Vincent; what are you driving? My 06 (below) should be arriving during December.

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The Repair Manual calls it the "Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU", at least on the first page I looked.

10. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Thanks, KMO. :)

HV is usually used in engineering to denote High Voltage but in this context, Toyota refers it as Hybrid Vehicle. (also in HV Battery as Hybrid Vehicle Battery.) I don't know why NCF is different.

Hi Vincent,

I'm driving a Classic '03 in Singapore. Another 37 days will be her 3rd annivesary.

Congrats on your new purchase!

Vincent

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I stand corrected. Thanks I fixed it in the Knowledge Base. Sometimes my fingers like my mouth lead their own lives separate from my brain that is not engaged at the time.

12. DR Watcher

DR Watcher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It looks like this thread died about 14 years ago, but the subject line is still valid. If anyone is interested, I have an ECU for sale. It is brand new and was supplied as part of a Toyota recall. However, because they were very slow in getting the part to me, I had already bought another one. Here is the link: ECU for Toyota Prius 2010 plugin inverter / converter | eBay

I will ship to anywhere in the continental US or Dominican Republic.

bisco likes this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You would probably get a better response by posting in the Private Sales forum.