1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c's battery should store 3x energy

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by highroller, Apr 10, 2014.

1. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Prius c's battery is lacking. It should be able to store 3x more energy. My Prius c runs out of battery to quick, and I am using eco mode. I wonder what are the mAh of other hybrids'batteries comparing to Prius c.

Brad K likes this.
  2. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If it held more it would also take more power to charge it back up, and, since battery max capacity isn't very relevant in max mpg calculations for a hybrid, there simply wasn't much reason to include a larger battery.

Also note that Toyota uses a little bit older battery technology then they could otherwise be using. By doing so they decrease cost while increasing reliability and safety. They do lose a little on efficiency and weight, but since Prii are the highest gas mileage cars on the road I think we can overlook that part.

In essence, since you've learned the low battery capacity of your car, learn to maximize it's use by minimizing high battery output situations. Abuse the fact that your engine doesn't have to be running the whole time, but don't abuse the battery. Use P&G when possible, keep the battery at a high charge so higher power demand situations will pull from the ICE and battery (the whole hybrid system bit) rather than running crazy RPMs on the ICE. Even in extremely low speed situations you can P&G off the battery rather than push for constant output. Try lower output from the battery as well, instead of hovering your power output at the halfway mark on the HSI try using at only 1/4, you'll use half the power and get a lot more than that in output.

minkus, firstrival and xpcman like this.
  3. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Sometimes I know that there is at least 2x battery worth of charge on some downhill roads, but my battery max out before that.

Nexus 7 ?

4. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

In that case a little extra capacity would help you. On the other hand, around here, I haven't ran into a hill long enough to completely top off my battery. So there is a point where the engineers have to come up with a strict cut off number that is good enough for 'most' situations. More battery, after all, would increase both cost and weight, while reducing interior space...at least with the existing battery type, otherwise they could use a newer battery technology, not taking up as much room or weight, but definitely causing a greater increase in cost.

minkus likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think the "Prius Family" has any problems with the whole HSD system, including the battery used in each respective vehicle.- It works very well.

However, I would also say...going forward I think the area of potential greatest gain in efficiency for hybrids probably comes from advances in battery technology and perhaps stronger electric motors as a result.

Which isn't to say I think there is anything wrong with the product today, just that I do think that is an area that will improve in future incarnations.

F8L and coyote303 like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't understand the thread title. do you think toyota should put in a battery 3 times the size of the current one for the same money? or do you think there is technology toyota should take advantage of that would enable the current battery to hold 3 times the energy for the same money? or do you think toyota should accomplish this task one way or the other and charge 3 times the current battery cost?

cwerdna likes this.
  7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The C likely IS working the way it was designed.
    Most owners get REALLY good mileage.
    Some don't and it's overwhelmingly because they drive with a lead foot.
    That can apply not only to MPG but to battery power usage too.

So, highroller, what kind of gas mileage ARE you getting ??

I pretty much agree with bisco.......for a change. :)

Case #3:
    You just LIKE the C better. :)

JGriffin, Rob.au and ftl like this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    (I have never sat in a c, let alone driven one. My baker drives the only c I have seen in MS)

The c DOES have a smaller battery than other Prius, (144 volt vs 201 volt) as it fits under the rear seat vs under the hatch. I can only see two cases for buying a c, you need to fit in a small parking space, or you can't afford a Prius Liftback. A larger battery would defeat both.

Toyota advertizes that it is a city car, so low speeds and frequent regenerative braking should help keep the battery charged. We do not know your location or usage so we are just speculating until you elaborate.

Both my Gen 2 Prius and my v would fill the battery with a 600 foot vertical drop, how does the c do?

9. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I am getting 70mpg at 53mph in highway when distance is 50 miles. In city, 36 to 75 mpg in city when distance is between 2 to 7 miles. I exclude cases where it is mostly downhill at 99.9mpg.

Nexus 7 ?

Brad K likes this.
  10. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So, if the battery WAS 3X larger, what difference do you think you would see ?
    Are those MPG numbers based on the display or actual calculation ?

While some people have to question EVERYTHING (OCD!), I think one should just trust the engineers most of the time.

11. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Those mpg number is from the dash board display at the end of the trips.
    There are times when ice kicks in at low speed, so I know battery must be close to empty. If battery has higher capacity, it will stay off ice.

Nexus 7 ?

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is almost always less efficient to run on battery than on engine power. All the battery power is from gasoline, it is pretty rare that it makes sense to run the engine to charge the battery, then run on the battery, then run the engine to charge the battery. The computers find those times when it does make sense.

13. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    No, holding more charge isn't the same as engine charging more often. It can come from Regen too.

Nexus 7 ?

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Regen is power from gasoline unless you are pushing your Prius up to speed.

Greg75 likes this.
  15. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Yes, but it is indirect.

Nexus 7 ?

16. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Your perception of the design of a conventional hybrid is not quite right.
    They are primarily an gasoline powered vehicle with a battery to "help" when the power requirements are too much for the tiny engine.
    The times when it can run on the battery alone are tiny and kind of a side-effect of the basic design.
    Now......plugin hybrids are a bit different and what you say is mostly true for them.

The engine will come on for various reasons, probably the least of which is the battery being low.

ztanos likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think what you want is a pic, plug in c, and i can't say that i blame you!(y)

18. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What would you be willing to give up to get a PiC ?
    The back seat or the "trunk" ?? :)

19. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Case #4: Its rated for better city mileage than a liftback.

Mark323 and Rob.au like this.
  20. c4

c4 Active Member

I don't think the battery necessarily needs to be 3x capacity, but if there was anything to improve, it would potentially be the 100A regen limit: ignoring hills where most definitely a higher battery capacity would be great for capturing all that extra energy, I find that even on flat roads, unless you start braking half a mile out from the stop (and pissing off the 50 cars behind you), you generally cannot brake rapidly enough from a more reasonable "traffic friendly" distance without some degree of friction brakes- ie, the regen current peaks at 90-something amps, and that's as fast as the car will decelerate unless you add more brake pedal, which then engages the friction brakes, so you are throwing away a significant portion of potentially recoverable energy.. They almost need some sort of ultracap that can absorb a big initial spike of braking energy like the Mazda SkyActiv system..