1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius dead battery

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Whited3, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Whited3

Whited3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was at a dealership ready to buy a 2002 Prius with 120k miles on it. When I checked out the car the car wouldn't start. I told one of the salesman and he said it just needed a jump. After he jumped it the car would go on for a few seconds and turn off. On the display there was a blinking warning, like the picture below. The salesman said that he only needed to charge the battery for a few hours and it would be fine. As I didn't have time for that I told him I would come back in a few days, He said to call ahead of time and he would get it charged up for me. Is this a red flag? does this car truly only need a charge because it's been sitting in a dealership for a while or could this be a continual problem and a reason to not buy the car. (Note this is a used car place not a toyota dealership.)
    [​IMG]

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes this is a red flag, why would you think it's not a red flag? the car doesn't start....and once started, doesn't stay on. it could be a number of issues, not just a battery thing.

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius has two batteries. A Traction High Voltage battery and a 12 volt battery that boots the computers and runs the accessories. The car might just have a failed 12v. Once they get fully discharged the 12v takes a few hours to gain back it's charge and it may never be the same again. I would only buy this car if the dealer will replace the 12volt battery.

Whited3 likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The MFD is displaying the hybrid vehicle warning icon. This means that the hybrid drivetrain has a serious problem. Replacing the 12V battery is the least of this car's issues. Find a better Prius to purchase.

bwilson4web and JimboPalmer like this.
  5. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We bought a 2002 that had a bad 12v from sitting around too long. The car would intermittently not start. But it never died once started, and didn't have any trouble codes.

I bet the 12v is bad and something else is going on too. Unless they replace the 12v and have a good warranty, I'd keep shopping.