1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Family Sales - December 2012

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The addition of the new Prius family members has done exactly what Toyota wanted by bringing in new buyers to the Prius pool and increasing Prius Family sales by 73% in 2012. Overall Prius sales increased from 136,463 in 2011 to 236,659 in 2012 - an increase of over 100,000 units!

DecemberPriusSaleschart.png
    The Gen 3 Prius "Liftback" still leads in Prius Family sales with 12,536, with the Prius c taking 2nd place with 3,151 units, then the Prius v comes in with 2,992. The only member of the Prius stable to decrease sales from November to December was the Plug-in Prius, coming in last with 1,361.

2013 should be an interesting year for number nerds like me to watch as the Prius family matures into a normal vehicle lineup instead of the "upstart" role it had taken in 2012. Prius liftback sales are down considerably compared to before the addition of the 3 other family members, so we'll have to see if that is a permanent trend or not.

walter Lee likes this.
  2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Interesting in how Prius Chat is helping TMS in gauging the market.
    I'm seeing into the future.... Prius Chat Motor Trend.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a little disappointed with the PiP and v numbers. Prius v is delivering FE, 42.1 MPG over 1.64 million miles tracked.

What can CR-V getcha? 26.5 mpg. Tough competition 'cause one can get CR-V AWD for $24.9k sticker, $23.6k for 2wd, 185 HP, lots of tech.

Over $27.4k start for Prius v, ouch, still 134 HP.

Automakers have improved conventional fuel economy a couple or few MPGs in many 2012 models... They'll never catch PiP 78 mpg fuelly average.

Still need more mojo in 4th Gen liftback

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As one who came from a CRV to a v, the MPG difference in real terms in my driving was even more pronounced. I got the v for the fun factor of driving something different. I appreciate not having to fuel up after every trip to the grandkids. Or only twice instead of four times on a recent 300 miles up, 100 miles there and 300 back trip. I don't expect the payoff in $ in five years like some nor consider that as important but if gas goes expensive again (and it will within the life of the car)...

Having driven 85 HP Porsches, 134 seems enough to me.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    100,000? yikes!:eek:

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It should not worry Toyota if Prius v or Prius PHV sale cannibalize Prius Liftback sales. Those models are more expensive, so in theory Toyota makes more per sale.

The Prius c is a tougher call, if all it does is steal sales from the Liftback, Toyota is losing money. Toyota hopes those sales are from buyers who would not consider the Liftback.

7. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My experience tells me the closer a vehicle fits the lifestyle of a driver - barring some accident of epic proportions - the greater the likelihood he/she will buy the vehicle and keep it. Sofar - from what I can see - the Liftback and the c have no competition for their class type. The Prius v must compete with Ford's C-Max hybrid - even though
    they are not exactly alike. I think the Prius v will eventually be the more popular of the two - but it atleast for the short term - I think the C-Max hybrid will provide some stiff competition. With the plug-in market is still forming the PIP has the hardest marketing path - and I see the entire plug-in and BEV markets struggling unless gas prices shoot up pass $5 per gallon...

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good numbers for liftback sales December. I think the most important thing in 4th gen liftback is to hold the price! Those midsize sedans will be starting at low $20ks for quite some time, the liftback Two is up over $24k now, 25 ish sticker.

Is there any talk that Toyota will produce some 4th gen liftbacks in US?
    We need a little bit more car at the same price or maybe a few hundred less to compete with the midsize sedans.

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota sent that rumor out in april along with the information they were looking for North American suppliers. Abe is pushing for a weak yen though, and Toyota has changed their minds before. I would say its a strong possibility, but not a done deal.

Its also likely that the next gen phv gets more range - rumored to be around 20 miles in December, making it more competitive.

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would be shocked if there isn't an announcement regarding US Prius production when the Gen4 is revealed in Detroit 2015.

But I also think that a 20 mile PHV range is a pie-in-the-sky number. Maybe 17 or 18.

11. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, it is "off" because the site is hard coded to 93MPGe for the electric miles.

the MPGcs is adversly affect because of the high ratio of very short cs miles that are somewhat equivalent to the Prius's first mile or two of warmup mpg.

fuelly took the Volt off of their listings because too many people were recording over 200 MPG and they treated that as a data entry error. I am lobbying to get PlugIns supported on fuelly.

mpg ceiling | Fuelly Forum

drinnovation likes this.
  14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Volt seems like a neat car. Gives one a true EV driving experience and no worries if they don't quite make it to the next plug.

15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That true EV driving experience is, IMHO, what is going to help expand the plug-in market much more rapidly than the initial adoption of the hybrid market. It is simply incredible.

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never been in an EV yet, except to drive Leaf around the indoor track at SF auto show. Next weekend is Silicon Valley auto show. Time to test drive more EV's :)

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's what test drives at dealerships are for. If your apprehensive about sales calls/pressure, give 'em false info! LOL

18. Chris R

Chris R New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Honda Insight is in the same price range as the Prius C, but sales numbers are abysmal. In comparison, the C has been selling briskly. Seems like there were a lot of people on the sidelines waiting for something like the C to come out. I doubt they were all potential liftback customers. I have no proof, obviously. Just a theory.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius c/Aqua/Yaris hybrid is both defence and offense. It defends against a strong Yen, improvements in conventional vehicles and a provides NiMH use in case of a competitive shift to lithium in more expensive models. But it allows for expansion in Europe and other small-car economies, as well as providing an appropriate car for those who don't yet or no longer need the size of the Prius in the USA. It's also ready for higher gas prices, which would naturally continue the trend of downsizing, and the re-urbanization process which will increase the demand in small cars.