1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. James_Matthews

James_Matthews New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I left my windows down overnight in my 2004 Prius. Unfortunately it rained really hard. I live in Florida, so when it rains it REALLY rains. When I woke up the trunk spare tire compartment was completely full of water. I drained the spare tire compartment and towel dried everything wet. I started it and it was fine. I drove it around and parked it. Two days of not driving it later, I tried to start it and the dash lit like a Christmas tree. It would not go into gear. I received the following error codes:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After messing with it for a bit I could put it into drive and drove it around my neighborhood. Both the electric and standard motors sounded fine. I brought it back and parked it. I tried drying it out more with dehumidifiers and letting the Florida sun bake it. I unplugged the 12v battery and let it sit for four days to dry and whatnot. Today I started it again, the dash lights were the same but diagnostics brought back nothing. It will not go into gear.

What do?

2. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would guess that you should get a mini-VCI or go to a toyota dealer and have your codes read.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How does rain water travel all the way back to your spare tire? Isn't that area covered by the hatch and the interior trunk liner? Your picture looks like you left the hatch open and it got rained on.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got a leak in the hatch of one of my prii that I haven't been able to resolve, and yes water makes it all the way to the front floor. Acceleration makes water travel to the back of a vehicle and braking causes water to move forwards. My solution was to remove the front seats, rear seat bottom cushion, navigation unit, jbl unit, carpeting. there are 4 front "pads" under the carpet that are similar but thicker than the padding under household carpet. I popped off ALL the rubber drain plugs in the car (3 in each footwell), 2 under rear seat cushion, 1 spare tire, 2 left and 2 right (its under the 12v battery unfortunately) in the hatch if I recall.

I'm highly allergic to mold so rather than take the risk of drying out and reusing the pads I just cut up rubber commercial kitchen floor mat to use, the kind with the holes in them. I left the drain plugs out, put everything back together, and good as new. I was worried that removing the drain plugs would cause excessive road noise in the car but haven't gotten any. The commercial rubber mats work and feel perfect under my feet. Webasto has an add-on feature to their sunroofs that detects rain and closes their sunroofs automatically, why can't auto manufacturers' copy that?

I'm really sorry and it pains me to tell OP this, but not having done this the day after the rain storm may have caused some damage that may require professional and expensive diagnoses and repair. When buying a used car, you can usually tell if it has had an accident repaired, but flood damaged vehicles are much harder to tell and can give you a whole lot of trouble in the future, this is why it is important to get a vehicle history report when buying a used car. At the least your nav unit, jbl amp, and maybe subwoofer are ruined, and obviously you are having other issues. Unfortunately the rear seat backs do very little to prevent water from traveling between rear seats and cargo area. And what's back there? the big expensive hybrid battery. Hopefully someone who knows more will speak up soon, there are at least one guy on priuschat who specializes in repairing salvaged prius who may be able to help.

But at least you have photo evidence to make a flood claim, just leave out the part about leaving the windows down, tell your insurance company you were parked in a low-lying parking lot or something similar. If it were me I would figure out a way to make it drive w/o any codes popping for an hour, that would give me enough time to trade it in on another vehicle. I know passing the problem onto someone else sounds like a horrible thing to do, but you would be ripping off a dealer who are by most accounts crooks anyways. You would not be ripping off a private citizen. On the other hand, your big expensive hybrid battery may have been on its way out due to its age and mileage (you didn't tell us your mileage). If this is the case, you could always have a local hybrid expert (check craigslist) replace the battery. Replacing something that needed to be replaced soon anyways never bothers people as much as replacing something that's still fairly new.

Best of luck, I hope you get this resolved easily and cheaply.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bummer dude, sorry. :( you may wanna pop the battery cover and see if there's moisture in there. i did this in my '72 mob, went to bed drunk and left the top down.:eek:

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow. Yes we have been getting torrential rains lately almost everyday.

The codes you posted are rubbish. There just manufacturing codes for the mfd.
    You will not be able to retrieve any codes via the dash.

The 12 volt battery is in the trunk and may have gotten damaged. Don't know how handy you are but you need to get a volt meter and measure the front jump point for the 12 volt battery under the hood and report the voltage back here. Its in the black plastic fuse box on the right under the hood. Flip up the red cover. Thats the 12 volt battery jump point.

If your not handy its tow to the dealer time. Whatever you do do not try to jump start this car.

7. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Time to put some holes in the floor.

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a similar (or worse) flooding problem from Pensacola several months ago. The OP should be able to search and find that thread. It ended with a success, but I forgot the exact steps.