1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Handling

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Californian21, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Californian21

Californian21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just want to start by saying I KNOW the Prius isn't meant to be fun to drive and I KNOW that I'm giving up a manual and stiff suspension for space, reliability, and great mpg. With that out of the way what would be the best was to cut down body roll in a 3rd gen Prius? Sway bars, suspension, what would you guys recommend?

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  2. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought a rear sway bar for mine. From what I read here the trd rear sway bar gives the most bang for the buck when trying to improve the hanling characteristics of these cars.

3. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got:
    • TRD rear sway bar
    • Cusco front sway bar
    • TRD springs
    • Cusco front strut tower brace
    • UltraRacing rear strut tower brace
    • 18" G-Sport wheels

The handling is awesome! I can take things at 90 that used to be scary at 70. I'd say I saw the biggest benefit from the upgraded sway bars and springs.

For a little extra punch I added the APEXi throttle controller. My average MPG over the last couple of thousand miles has been around 37.5.

Joele3, Burna J and Starbrand like this.
  4. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you have 15 " wheel/tires move up to 16" wheels/ performance tires going to 17 ,18 your going to feel the imperfections of the road and added stress on suspension, 2nd if you need more frt and rear sway bars mild setup tanbe frt, trd rear , extreme cusco frt and rear

5. Michael Mann

Michael Mann Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In my opinion the best bang for buck from personal experience in order is as follows.

Rear Sway Bar
    16 - 17" Wheels
    Springs
    Mid Under Brace
    Front Under Brace
    Front Sway Bar
    Front Stut Tower Bar

Attached Files:

6. gbrowndsl

gbrowndsl New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just installed the rear sway on my PIP and its a nice improvement but now its simply on par with my old Honda civic hybrid handling wise. I plan on installing coil overs next with the minimal drop. My shocks have 60k on them, if brand new I would probably go TRD springs and be done with it.

7. 2012PiP

2012PiP New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also have PiP and am looking at rear sway bars. Haven't seen anything specific for PiP so which brand did you get? I am leaning toward Tanabe's.