1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius has grown up, but in the hybrid world, is bigger better?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WHEN the Toyota Prius was launched as the first hybrid to properly make an impact on the mainstream market, the world was ready for it. And it sold in droves. Its low carbon emissions and promises of high fuel economy sparked a world-wide revolution in motoring.

Its popularity hasn't waned over the years, either, which has led to its the first big spin-off for the Prius brand - a seven-seater MPV aimed at growing families, the Prius+.

Prius has grown up, but in the hybrid world, is bigger better? | Ashbourne News Telegraph | Drive

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i would like to see a toyota aygo sized HSD..and after that a plugin aygo ;-)

3. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It works the way it is, lots of room great MPG [that's why you buy one] Prius gets better that sticker on MPG everyone else's like Kia/Ford/GM can't hit the highway sticker number. Got to ask why? and how they not getting the nice person in trouble?

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Yaris is pretty much the same size. I'd have prefered if they'd actually released the IQ EV but with a 120 mile range.

Parking has become harder for me lately in the tourist season and I've been borrowing the gf's IQ. It's such a relief just to nip in onto the end of those half spaces left by inconsiderate parkers.

I do think Toyota are onto a winner introducing hybrids to most of their range, though they could try and bring the price down a little. The new Auris wagon hybrid could be a good seller. Bigger than the Prius for luggage, better economy and looks like a normal car.

5. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  7. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ahh Nice looking .................

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Not everyone gets over EPA mileage based on Fuelly numbers. The numbers vary widely.

9. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bigger isn't necessarily better or worse in the hybrid world as far as the Prius family goes. The older Accord hybrid and all the truck/SUV hybrids GM and Chrysler churned out were all horrible, but that's because those giant models showed no effort to reduce weight or increase aerodynamics over their counterparts and returned MPGs that just made the vehicles not worth the extra money. I love all the space in my '06 Prius Liftback, but I don't need the V nor will I ever drive an iQ hybrid.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, two-mode didn't provide much improvement to the highway numbers, but did really boost the city numbers. 3 mpg doesn't seem like a lot, but it's a 16% improvement over the ICE model.

The first Accord hybrid was the flagship of the line, and out performed the V6 in acceleration and fuel economy. It was Honda's statement that hybrid didn't have to be a no fun fuel miser. In other words, it was the first power hybrid. Unfortunately, the only people willing to pay the hybrid price at the time wanted the fuel miser.

11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a IQ hybrid would be nice to
    but a yaris is bigger then a aygo also bigger in price! :p

12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But the Aygo is built in France in an alliance with Peugeot and Citroen (who also rebadge the car) and appears to have inherited French car reliability traits and the rear hatch leaks like a sinking ship (google it). It's a Peugeot 107 with a Toyota badge and some Toyota switchgear. It's not a car worthy of the Toyota badge imho and should be dropped from the range sooner than later.

But then it is just my personal opinion :)

13. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Prius Market share and Market segments have expanded.

If Toyota's efforts to make the HSD smaller, lighter, and cheaper continues to be successfully then the next logical HSD member in the Prius Family is likely to be a two seater or one seat (?urban?) full hybrid using three or two wheels instead of four - essentially a full hybrid motorcycle capable of achieving +100 mpg. Both Toyota and Honda have prototypes in the works...

14. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mm your right there.. leaks i read and tge multimode automatic transmission is a big troublesome thing
    also french desigh or is that japan?
    still like the car ,, nice smal cheapish..

lets toyota build a new one;-)