1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius hatchback tent?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by seakykr, Oct 4, 2006.

1. seakykr

seakykr Ugly Betty is her name.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Um, I put down the seats and had a nice nap in my new Prius this evening, just to see if it could double as a camper for me on long road trips. I loved it! I had the starry sky as my ceiling looking up through the rear window. Then I opened the hatchback and thought how wonderful it would be if someone developed a tent that would attach to the back while the hatchback is open. Imagine the Prius below:

[​IMG]

... with a tent like those developed for the Honda Element and Pontiac Aztec:

[​IMG]

I'd bet the Prius's hatchaback when lifted is nearly as high as the Element's! It's pretty darn high.

And here's the Pontiac Aztec approach:

[​IMG]

Somebody please develop such an innovative shelter for the lovely Prius. :)

filipinoof07 likes this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At Hybridfest, someone slept in their Prius. I can't remember who it was but I saw a picture.

People here have posted about sleeping in their Prius (as well as a few other things). If you have an air mattress I can believe that would only make the nap a little more comfortable.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sleeping in the Prius is great. It beats having to put up a tent and then put it away when you leave. I'm 5'8" and my legs kinda hang off the edge if i stretch out, but that is easily fixed by using something to prop 'em up. I like having a 'skylight'. Seeing the moon and stars as I drift to unconciousness is awesome:)

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought there was a post about this a few weeks ago. Even included a pic with a Prius and a tent. I cant find the post. :(

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    :lol: :lol: Totally COOL!!! I'd love to have one of those if there were a tent to fit my '06.....

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just have to think there's gotta be someone on this forum that knows someone who's in an industry that could manufacture some of these. I'm certain we could get a group order together for 25-50 of those things if someone would commit to making them for a reasonable price (?$200).

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Oct 4 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]327906[/snapback]</div>
    You mean something like this?

Napier Dome Tent

[​IMG]

On sale for $165.95. free shipping

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 4 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]328255[/snapback]</div>
    That would be perfect...I'd like one for our Highlander Hybrid too...but, alas, they don't list one for either the Prius or the HiHy. BTW, Firefox folks, you'll need an Internet Explorer Tab to get the dropdown thing to work.

9. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, but do they have it for the toyota prius??? I see the matrix listed but what about the Prius?!?! AHHH!!!!! :eek:

10. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 4 2006, 10:19 PM) [snapback]328255[/snapback]</div>
    That’s REALLY cool. An awesome idea. ;)

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The pull down tabs work fine in Mozilla.

There are three tent models. Original Truck Tent, Truck Tent III, the SUV/Minivan Tent and the Sportz Dome-to-Go, a tent that fits hatchbacks and mini-SUVs. So the Prius would take the Sportz Dome-to-Go.

BTW I'd rather get a really light teardrop trailer.

[​IMG]

Fits a queen size mattress.

And one of these:

[​IMG]

Add a portapotty with tent and a coleman stove and I'm set.

Wire the prius with an inverter to run a small refrigerator and voilá, camping in style.

12. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Put me down for a tent too.

I was looking at that because I love camping. Then I saw someone post "Teardrop Trailers" here. One was being pulled by a Prius. All a Teardrop is, is a sleeping area and a hatch back for the kitchen.

That is when it hit me...The Prius is a seeping area when the seats are down and the hatch back would be a great place for a removable slide or fold out kitchen. No trailer needed.

This would be a Teardrop Mod.

Now I just have to find away to make the center console fold in half with a cushion on top, level with the two seats. That would almost make out to a queen size bed. For privacy all you need is a full set of sun shades all around. For entertainment we need to figure out how to convert the MFD in the 2006 to accept DVD's and a quick mod on the speakers so you can flip a switch and have Dolby surround sound. Finally you would have to figure out how to put a coffee maker in the dash or a custom top glove box expresso machine. :lol:

The Prius already has reading lights and the AC can run all night if you have to camp in Texas like me and the low for the night is 92 deg F. I am working on adding three cameras right now. One for the front and two for the side mirrors. At night you could use them to check for Bears. :huh: (What was that?)

To be honest I prefer just hiking 10 miles away from the nearest road with everything I need in my pack. But a mod like this would be cool to have too. I do find it amazing however to find so many people like me here at priuschat....Try to be kind, have a sense of humor, don't take yourself to seriously, walk gently on the earth, and be helpful. I really feel like this it a great place to be.

13. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 4 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]328285[/snapback]</div>
    Hey! Who you calling "sensitive?" :D

14. seakykr

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow dude that's exaclty the kind of thing I was thinking of. I just might have to get one! It's even better (roomier) than what the Honda Element and Pontiac Aztec have going for them.

I also wanted to alert those interested to these handy alternatives:

http://www.loftyshelters.com/

Can't wait to go camping with my Prius!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 4 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]328255[/snapback]</div>

15. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like the Napier but really just want something that "curtains" around the back of the Prius (with the hatchback open). Just a wrap-around screen or rainfly to keep the skeeters out and let the air in. I stay dry if it rains, and no tent required. Anyone else interested in that idea, or got input on it?

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm partial to the dome....let's me have a sleeping area while keeping all my 'stuff' handy but out of the way.

17. seakykr

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree it would also me nice to have something less elaborate than the dome tent, something customized more for the Prius's back end. There's a good amount of room back there, epecially with the hatchback open, even without adding a full dome tent.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cagemo @ Oct 4 2006, 11:54 PM) [snapback]328359[/snapback]</div>

18. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seakykr @ Oct 5 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]328693[/snapback]</div>
    Something like this?
    http://www.tentsontrucks.com/cgi-bin/store...amp;log_pid=yes

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Sportz tent for my 4x4 truck and it is simply awesome!
    [​IMG]

IMO somewthing similar would be great. i don't really care for the dome tent outside of teh car because if you really look at it, how much different is it from a regular old tent? Like someone stated above, a simple mesh cover to keep the bugs out would be pretty cool with a rain cover. I'm pretty tall (6'3") and slept in the back of my Prius last Halloween but I was pretty damn drunk and probably could have been comfortable in the rocky landscaping where I first tried sleeping. <_<

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cagemo @ Oct 5 2006, 01:54 AM) [snapback]328359[/snapback]</div>
    Do you know anyone that sews? Something the simply slips over the hatch and falls down the sides and to the bumper but is fitted isn't that hard. It could be made of nylon with mesh windows for breathing. If they're a good or feel challenged they can add a zipper and roll down windows. Attach a roll around the bottom filled with shot or even a LOT of beans from the grocery store to weigh it down and you could slip it over the hatch and the weight would keep it in place. (Hint: work it up in muslin first.)

Then it's simply pop the hatch and slip the 'cover' over and arrange the "shotsleeve" around the sides and across the bumper. Uh....look at some of the canvas and mesh portable dog crates for ideas for the windows and zipper openings if you decide to get fancy.

I like the Dome because I like the extra room to either sleep in or as space if I sleep in the Prius.