1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Headlight not properly balanced?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by joeuser, May 22, 2014.

1. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

While testing my new LED turn bulbs, I realized that my HEADlights are not properly aligned.
    Basically, the first thing I noticed is that the reflector cover just in front of the bulbs (inside the headlight assembly, picture attached) is crooked. It is causing the headlight to disperse in a slightly crooked angle.
    Is this something that I can look to adjust/fix by myself or is my headlight assembly itself hosed?

View attachment 65151

This contraption right in front of the bulb is crooked in both headlights. Is this something I can adjust?

Thanks,
    j

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In North America, Light that escapes the left blinds oncoming traffic. Light that escapes to the right illuminates wildlife by the side of the road.

How sure are you that you want to fix this?

3. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fairly sure I want to fix this. My problem is that the light is crooked when I have the headlights on while in the dark and I can tell that they aren't even. I thought it was because of the the positioning of those protective reflectors. Is it something else?

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What does the light pattern look like at night against a wall?

Be aware that the pattern is not necessarily symmetric, left to right. The pattern to the left is kept low to avoid blinding oncoming drivers, while the pattern on the right may rise higher to illuminate traffic signs. And these patterns are reversed in countries that drive on the other side of the road.