1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius homepage has been redesigned; NiMH batteries again?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by chughes123, Feb 11, 2013.

1. chughes123

chughes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Only the PiP uses lithium ion. The lift back has and continues to use NiMh. What made you believe the lift back had or will be using LiIon and that it was a typo?

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Given the current problems with Lithium Ion batteries on the Boeing 787, Toyota has stayed the tried and true Nichel Metal Hydride battery system on most all Prius models except the PIP, were weight would be an issue due to the large number of cells required.

When used in the proper manner and charged and discharged correctly, the NIMH batteries have a long service life. Weight saving on the smaller size of the hybrid batery would be less of a factor than the larger batter on a PIP or pure electric vehicle.

5. chughes123

chughes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I thought all 3rd gen Pri had Lithium ion batteries, except for the C and V. Whoops, guess I am wrong. I remember reading all these articles on the internet in 2009 that the new regular 2010 3rd gen Prius would have a Lithium ion traction battery but now everything points to NiMH. Hmm, so no Prius models in the US use Lithium batteries except for the plug-in.

Why the 2010 Toyota Prius Doesn't Have a Lithium-Ion Battery