1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in a rear end collision. Could this damage the dashboard display?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by CindyC, Nov 16, 2014.

1. CindyC

CindyC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello. I was rear ended 2 weeks ago. The damage to the right side of the bumper was ver minimal. I had the car repaired. The body shop reconditioned the bumper so it looks like brand new. My question is the day I picked up the car, the dashboard display wasn't working on the left side. The speedometer And gas gauge is all dark. The right side that has the mileage is fine. Could this accident have damaged a computer or sensor or something that is in the back? These hybrids have all aorts of stuff back there I've heard. Thank you!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is possible that their might be something blocking the projection like a piece of paper. Is there anything on the dash that might do this? Off the top of my head I can't remember which side of the display is projected.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  3. CindyC

CindyC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks. Yes, I checked this and there is nothing on the dash. I read this in another thread and went and checked. I wish it would have been this easy!

4. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Also check the illumination brightness control.
    The 12 volt battery is in the RH rear quarter but I've seen a quarter panel smashed hard enough to break the 12v battery into three pieces and no electrical problem after the battery and RR turn signal assembly were replaced

5. CindyC

CindyC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks. I checked the illumination display and that isn't it either. I will be contacting the repair shop and the other drivers insurance company again. At least I haven't signed off on the accident. I hope I don't need to get an attorney.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could have dislodged a loose wire or solder joint behind the display i suppose.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't be surprised if you have a dead 12 volt battery soon. The little guy in the back hatch. Body shops are known to leave the doors open while working on the car or leaving the overhead map lights on killing the little 12 volt battery then jumping the car and giving it back to you.

You can check battery health by parking at night somewhere dark and with engine off turn on the headlights. The power the car back up with the lights on and watch the headlight brightness and see if headlights dim when you boot the car up. Shouldn't dim at all.

That and another tell tale sign is all of a sudden you have really bad mileage.