1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in Lake Tahoe winter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lavawalker, Nov 2, 2014.

1. lavawalker

lavawalker New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the market for a new car and the Prius looks like it will be perfect for me. Great info in the forums here and I'd love to join the community. I've found some great deals on 2008/2009 used Priusii however I live where the snow piles up. My question is, has anyone had experience driving in cold weather and slick roads with a Prius? Granted, it won't be -20 like in Minnesota but it will be freezing temperatures since I don't have a garage to store it in at night especially. I will lose MPG because of the cold from what I've read. If the biggest concern -- I would imagine -- is slick roads during the winter, would it be smart to buy a Prius in your experience? Tahoe has a great plow crew so the snow doesn't pile up too high on the roads. I don't mind driving more careful and have people tailgate me if that's the case :)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I had to deal with Lake Tahoe snow all winter, I personally would drive an AWD or 4WD vehicle. However if you are comfortable driving a front-wheel drive vehicle in the snow, then a Prius would be OK if you use good winter tires during that season.

You will lose substantial mpg in the winter, but this is no different from other vehicles also being less efficient in below-freezing temps. Good luck with your choice.

3. lavawalker

lavawalker New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Patrick. If I use common sense than it should be ok

4. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Word of warning.
    I had a 2008 touring that was impossible to drive in snow!!! Traction control would make forward progress very very slow. Or impossible! It may have been a problem with that 2008 but,I traded for a 2010 which has a much more lenient traction control. It is great in snow and ice!!

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We drive our 2005 all winter in CO (elev. 7,200 ft), except in deep powder. Packed snow/plowed snow is fine. We just keep our M+S all-season tires on. Of course, you need to pay attention to conditions and drive conservatively.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Patrick.

If you decide on a Prius you'll want to avoid 2004-2005 models because of the aggressive traction control. Please use real snow tires in the winter. You'll have a much easier time with them and it is much much safer. Simply buy and extra set of wheels for winter tires. You can also go one size larger to help increase ground clearance.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love My Prius, but if it were me, I would look for a Subaru, can't beat it for snow driving....

8. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I put a set of Michelin X-Ice snow tires on my 2007 usually sometime around December, for the Michigan winter. I have never gotten stuck or had a problem. The traction control leaves some to be desired, but all in all with snow tires, the thing is a tank!

F8L likes this.
  9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I visit Tahoe and Reno 2-4 times in the Winter from Sacto. With a 2005 Prius. The only real snow/ice I drove on was at Boreal, I had no traction problems at all. I typically test the ground conditions each winter in a open area. I could never get the car to. Slip, spin or skid. Always had the stock tires on it. The real PIA In that area is the chain control, it is the only geographical area that I am aware of where at the slightest hint of snow, one must install chains if your driving over Castle Peak. Maybe there is good cause and Caltrans knows what it is doing. I have driven many winters in Wisconsin, and Greenland and Europe without snow tires or chains. And never any problem. In Alaska they drive 50 MPH. PLUS on snow and ice impacted ridge highways. And think nothing of it. (Fairbanks) I'm a bit more cautious tho. The main problem is people can't apply common sense in Winter driving when they never had it in Summer driving.

lar.smith42 and PriusGuy32 like this.
  10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your real world input, Andy. My 2005 had quite a few issues on snow and ice with the stock and aftermarket tires so I err on the side of caution when giving advice. It would be terrible if someone took u necessary chances and got hurt. :)

Andyprius1 likes this.
  11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As can be seen by my avatar the UK can have it's share of snow. I have also driven in Norway and Sweden in the snow in the Prius and have never been stuck. Although I agree it would be nice to be able to turn the traction control off under certain conditions I can state it has never been a real problem. Having driven a Range Rover in the same countries and conditions the Prius does extremely well against that high benchmark providing you have the right tyres.

John (Britprius)

Andyprius1 likes this.
  12. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tires make all the difference! I have the Hankook H727s on. They're all-season, but have excellent snow capabilities. Traction control very rarely activates any more. As long as the snow isn't really deep, I much prefer to drive the Prius than my 4wd truck. The Pri feels more surefooted and the systems (defrosters, etc) work much better.

The starting ability of the Prius in the cold is also impressive. While regular cars slow-crank and complain, the Prius barely seems to notice.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  13. Supd

Supd New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I lived in tahoe for several winters with my prius, have all season ecopia tires and spikes spiders for when chain controls are on. the roads get plowed quickly and you learn which roads to drive on, prius + spikes spider is as good as awd. B mode is perfect for descending mountain passes in storms.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  14. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The tires are 100% of the difference. Obviously if the snow is too deep you can't go. But if the roads are plowed or packed snow it's fine. The traction control does mean you'll have to adapt if your preferred technique when having trouble is the old "spin spin spin" trick (I see people do this up the hill in my alley. There are better ways.). There is a way to disable the traction control so you can spin the tires but it is not recommended and can damage the motors (4-digit repair bill). I'd go with a bucket of sand and a shovel first, but with good winter tires don't expect problems.

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius is our mountain goat that we use to drive into blizzards. If you can drive, the Prius will follow.

16. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I say it in every thread re the Prius in snow ...... tyres, tyres, tyres, or tires, tires, tires for the US audience! A decent set of winter tyres coupled with common sense will get you a long way. We have a Honda CRV (with M+S tyres) for when it gets too bad.

F8L likes this.