1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius+ - It's the Prius v that you wanted but can't have

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Remember how many of you were disappointed when Toyota announced the Prius v and it didn't have a 3rd row of seats? Well, Toyota is about to pour salt in those wounds by announcing the Prius+. The Prius+ is basically Europe's version of the Prius v with seating for 7. So far Toyota's only teasing the car, so no word if it'll have other magical features that the US can't seem to get like the Prius' Heads-up Display (HUD). Toyota will reveal the Prius+ at the 2011 Geneva Auto Show in early March. No word on whether Japan will also get the mack'd out version of the Prius v, but our jealous insides hopes they're stuck with a 5 passenger like us. Discuss the Prius v and the Prius+ in the PriusChat Forums Source: Toyota UK's Blog

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Europe has alot of 7 seat MPV, many with no luggage room when seating 7...
    Toyota Corolla Verso has less than 100 liters available in that layout...

Prius + wouldn't get that market share if not held 7.

(there is another thread on this, why not merge?)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it would fit the European market quite well. It'll be the first 7-pass hybrid MPV. I assume the seats would fold into the floor. Is there space for that assuming that the battery is in the same location? Or are the seats small/thin?

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They'll probably be small and thin - just enough for temporary use or kids. I'm sure they'll be removeable due to the hybrid battery. 4 passengers and loads of luggage room or 6 passengers and no luggage room.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I am (again assuming) that the 3rd row is a 2-seater and that you guys will still have the 3-person 2nd row seat found in other markets. That would save cost as they would only have to fit the 3rd row and not design another 2nd row.

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it wil have the 3r row seats

7. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    So will i, i also have them in my current Toyota Verso.

8. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    j/k wanted to pour salt in those wounds:p:p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D

9. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    with a 0-60 at 11.5 seconds, how fast do you think the v is going to get to 60 with 7 people?

and how well will it handle when it has to do a emergency maneuver with 7?

10. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

That depends on whether that 11.5 sec was achieved with full load of 5 adults ....:D

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    13s and badly?
    Its not like toyota is really punishing us by not bringing these things over. I assume their marketing folks don't think a slow 7 seater won't sell in the US at the prices they would need to charge to make a profit.

12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A slow seven seater? I'd say it was a 5+2 seater.

They change the marketing for the different area requirements. Americans want luggage, Europe wants more passenger seats.

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    More likely crash safety at the speeds which we use the vehicle weren't up to par. I want 3rd row seating, but still need SOME cargo capacity afterward - otherwise that defeats the purpose.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Probably as good or better than those underpowered TDIs that get worse MPG.

15. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is there a huge demand for 7-seat vehicles in Europe? Do Europeans tend to have five kids on average? :confused:

I'm assuming most of the people that buy a seven seater for their family will only have two full grown adults, maybe a teen or two, and the rest will be baby seats or 50 pound children. It shouldn't be much worse than a regular Prius with four adults. Now, if you load ANY small car with seven 275-pound adults (7x275=1925!), you're probably going to experience a NOTICEABLE difference in acceleration (AND BRAKING!!!!) and handling.

16. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i would say there is a great market for a 2 seater or hybrid aygo and yaris not a 7 seater thats more something for the us.

17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's a market segment taken by the mini-van in the US, except over here such cars need to be smaller (for parking, smaller city streets & fuel price). The Chrysler Voyager used to sell well here in the UK, but the latest version has rather square styling and just doesn't seem to sell anywhere near as well as it used to. That and the 3.6 v6 petrol engine was too thirsty for here and the 2.0 petrol and diesel options were underpowered.

18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got no dog in the hunt, but Americans seem to have larger space and acceleration demands than some euro markets. The government also has more stringent safety requirements that add more cost and weight. Of course in the UK you seem to pay more for everything. I believe it was doug that said not many americans ponied up more money for the extra row in the rav 4. The prius v is even a smaller car, and I doubt toyota would be more successful with it.

19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would be very interested to see facts here. Gone are the days where European or Jap cars had to be completely redesigned to meet the safety requirements of the US.

I'd have said the safety requirements over here are much much more stringent than 15 years ago and probably similar or equal to the US.

Again, does anyone have any facts or details of any significant requirements a US car has over a similar model sold in Europe?

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but they don't buy ginormous "mini" vans such as the Sienna, Odyssey and Grand Caravan.

Their people carrier is basically the size of a Mazda5 (maybe a tad bigger if at all). They would rarely carry 7 people AND 7 people's worth of luggage at the same time. Plus, parking is at a premium. I recall some members here saying they have troubles parking the Prius at home because it's too large and wouldn't fit the parking space.

2 people like this.