1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius+ - It's the Prius v that you wanted but can't have

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by thbjr, Feb 4, 2011.

1. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Originally posted by Danny on the home page w/pic (source):
    Come on man (Toyota) :mad:. There are others in the world that would like seating for 7 as well as HUD. There are also those outside the US marked that would like some of the features in the MY10/11 V's advanced technology package.
    I simply don't get why a company spends all that money on R&D and then only sells to 'select' markets.

2. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well had to be either a mini van or a 3rd row sooner or later. back end looks like could be double doors maybe? entry point?

**edit** took another look, definitely a hatch setup. but the "squareness" of it, what little you can see is making it look more like an SUV.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yippeee :)

The Prius+ sounds good to me. All the benefits of the Prius with loads of boot space with the option of 7 seats.

Just waiting for the plugin Prius next year and then I'll be stuck which one to have. Oh well, decisions decisions.

5. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree the third row of seats is a big plus (no pun intended)
    Hope it gets to Israel
    There are a lot of big families here. :)

6. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but if it gets 40mpg US then that's only 57mpg imperial vs. gen 3's 72. I guess you can charge more for ferying 6 people around, but if the price for a PHV or a P+ is similar, you'll have to do some tough maths!

7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yaris HSD - *that* is going to be really interesting - fuel consumption around 3L/100km anyone?? :D

8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    PS: it might well be that the V will get the 3rd row of seats - it is not even out yet on the market and you are already speculating. Maybe they didn't want to sell it like that in the US and after all the customer feedback they might change their minds for the US - there is *no* reason not to offer the 3rd of seats only in EU - unless the + is something a bit different (which I doubt highly...).

9. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And what about a Plugin Yaris....? Well i guess that would be a "1L" car, except unlike VW it would be real...:rolleyes:

10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

why would it get US mileage? :).

Looking at the difference between CT200h in US and EU, you will not get much worse numbers with Prius+ under EU cycle, compared to normal Prius in EU cycle.

12. LakePrius

LakePrius Special member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

In cases where the new car would require extensive new sales and service training, and the stocking of lots of new parts - you'd maybe expect sales to be limited to markets where they think they'll have lots of sales.

But with the +, it looks like about 80+ % of the parts are the same, and certainly the sales process and the service process isn't going to be significantly different then the III, so I agree - why not sell the 7 seater in the US?

13. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I can see it will be more of a 5 seater with 2 extra seats for smaller / more agile passengers. The extra 2 seats will take up the luggage space. So you can have 5 passengers and some luggage, or 7 seats and no luggage. A bit like a VW touran? Would the USA go for such a vehicle?

1 person likes this.
  14. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Guys, both vehicles are still not officially released in EU and US - I would not go further on the topic of 7 seats or not, until we get both models "live" at dealers - don't you think?

15. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    (source)
    So yes, it would sell.:D

16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :eek:
    agile?!?!? I'll say, more like budding gymnasts. Yeah I'm not exactly enthralled with the idea of 7 passengers in a vehicle that size. My wife drives our Venza, which is the biggest car I've ever purchased. I appreciate the room even with 4 or 5 people in it. Still can haul 3 or 4 people from the hockey team with their gear and not have to pull the seat up to my chest. I can't even imagine the Venza as a 7 passenger vehicle. Oh yeah its called a Highlander.

But even that has almost no storage when the back seat is up.

17. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wonder if the 3rd row seats face forward or backward...

18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm 5'6", and the tallest person in my entire family. My Mom is 4'10" and I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. My wife is 5'1". Pretty much all of us would fit back there easily, and certainly my kids and their friends would fit back there easily for the next 10-12 years or so, even with booster seats.

19. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I believe the family size is getting smaller not bigger. And most of the people I know who have a minivan, not all certainly, get minivans not for their seating but the room. In fact I only know, personally, of a couple of families with more than 2 kids. And the weird thing is they either have a 4Runner or a couple of cars. My brother-in-law, whose kids are all grown, had a Dodge Caravan, graduated to a Kia Sedona, and promptly took out the middle seats to provide more room for his fishing gear (and ice chest ;) ).

So the idea the Prius v will provide more room instead of seats is probably the driving factor behind that particular model along with the likes of the Venza. Now if I had of known that the Prius v was coming out this year, I may have persuaded my wife to wait just another year. But only if it came in Sunset Bronze Mica like the Venza.
    :)

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

normal forward seats... but Doug has answered this in another thread, they are not offering it in the USA since Rav4 (bigger car than Prius+) got less than 5% uptake on 7 seat version.