1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius named one of the Fifty Ugliest Cars of the Past Fifty Years

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ericbecky, Nov 2, 2009.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Enzo is ugly? Clearly, the man has no taste.

2. jeffreykb

jeffreykb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Based on appearance ONLY, I have to agree...the Prius is fugly. You might say that the Prius has a great personality. Some people will tolerate not so great personalities (frequent break downs, high maintenance, low MPG, more harmful emissions, etc.) in a vehicle.

One test might be...would you prefer the Prius if it only had a conventional powertrain (ICE only) with the lower MPG?

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is odd that the original Honda Insight didn't make it on the list but Prius did.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Brilliant! Smugly it is!

5. Engelz

Engelz Delaware member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well,..... I found a list of the 50 Worst publications to be used as Toilet paper.
    BusinessWeek was right up there in the top 10....

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a good way to look at it. In the situation you described I would say no but since it has all the other nice features I have grown to love the look, especially considering the constraints with which the engineers had to work with (people space, aerodynamics, etc.). I guess it is like an average looking girl who becomes beautiful after you get to know her other attributes. :)

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well the problem is obvious ... it needs to be stripped:
    (cue "The Stripper")

[​IMG]

Also,
    [​IMG]

Look at the jugs:
    [​IMG]

The problem is they didn't look under the skin ... into the soul of the machine.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love it when you bust out the sexy pics! :D

10. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I love the looks of the prius = )

11. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL...Prius Envy ;)

PS. I like soybeans, they're good for you :D

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bob, those pics are barely legal. They are revealing Atkinson ICE with EGR and GHR to reduce pumping loss and keep it hot!

I am adding Power Split Device between the double MGs...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well time for a cliche. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In general I hate the homogenized look of many cars. Except for badging, you can barely tell the difference between most sedans, at a glance.

I've always liked the unique look of the Prius. I guess I can understand where some people might not but to me it's form aids it's function, I like it.

In anycase, I had to laugh: "The first mass-produced hybrid must have been an exercise in technology, not design. The spoiler is supposed to make the Prius look sporty. But the car still has all the style of a soybean." ????????

Three Strikes and you are out? Three sentences, 3 or more total mistakes. About the only thing right, is The Prius is one of the first mass produced hybrids. As others have pointed out however, the photo is of generation 2. It shows a lack of understanding to say The Prius must of been an exercise in technology not design. Technology and design are inseperable with The Prius. Anybody with even a basic, fundamental understanding of Hybrids and The Prius know's the body style is a direct result of reaching a goal of aiding the technology. The final strike just continues that same flawed thinking. It's a shot at the spoiler. You can debate whether the spoiler looks sporty or not, I leave that for the individuals. BUT on The Prius? It might be one of the few cars where the spoiler isn't added primarily just for looks. The spoiler on a Prius is an important part of aerodynamics. Again design married to function.

Ugly, Beautiful? That's up to the individual. But if any departure from the homogenized looks of the average sedan and/or the average SUV lands you on the list? Then sign me up and land me on the list. IMO that's a beautiful type of ugly.

1 person likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Oh man! That ratchets up my spanners.

Answering the question, is a Prius female?
    [​IMG]
    This explains why guys like to spend so much time with our cars.

Bob Wilson

15. acdii

acdii Active Member

I don't think there is a car made today that fits in a good looking category. Most look the same, and most are ugly, especially the GM brands, top of that list are the Cadillac. They look like someone goosed them. I noticed recently that a lot of cars are now shaped like a Prius. What makes the toyotas ugly is that bump in the nose where the emblem is. Gives them a Jimmy Durante look. Smooth that nose out a bit and the cars would look much nicer.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That bump on the Camry and Yaris had me thinking of Joe Camal.

Some of those cars are cool.
    A childhood friend's family had a Brat back in the day. It came with two rear facing bucket seats mounted in the bed for the kids.
    I wanted to get a Thing in HS and cover it with reflectors.
    I had a '96 Taurus. It was the best car I've owned after the Prius. I was rear ended twice, brushed up against a telephone pole, and regularly overfilled the oil. The only problem that couldn't be traced back to a bent frame or maintance abuse was an issue with EGR system, and I could have fixed it myself in 15 minutes if I had done some research. Should have held onto that car for another year.

17. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My wife thinks the Prius is ugly, too; or, at the very least, she thought it was as of shortly before we bought ours. I had some difficulty persuading her to allow me to "go for it" when we made the purchase; its appearance being a major issue of concern as far as she was concerned.

My final point in my "so-you-think-it's-ugly-do-you?" debate with her was the following: the only time you have to see it is while you're getting in. After that, just let everybody else worry about how ugly it may-or-may-not be ....

And my final point in this post is the following: the people who probably / collectively think the Prius "truly" is one of the ugliest cars in the world are owners of gasoline / service stations ... not that they're biased or anything ....

18. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    not sure how it happened, but my post above "duplicated itself" in the "posting" process ....

19. whodat

whodat Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doesn't BusinessWeek employ a bunch of really smart financial and economic folks who managed to miss predicting the largest finanicial melt down since Long Term Capital Management? I guess they need to find something else to crow about and now they are making the soybean Prius association.

20. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why even bring these kinds of idiotic comments up? That just gives them undeserved credibility.