1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Navigation changing route from speed to distance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by onlynark, Mar 11, 2007.

1. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hey Guys, We just got the 2007 prius with all the options except leather. So it has the Nav system on it. Anyways, I read through pretty much the entire nav system manual and I couldnt find the option for switching the nav from setting the route by fastest speed to shortest distance. Is that possible to do on the prius nav?

2. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nark @ Mar 11 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]403967[/snapback]</div>
    After you input the destination, there is a button on the bottom left of the screen that says 3 routes. Pushing that button shows the routes on a map and allows you to pick from two quick alternatives or the shortest route.

3. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrfaris @ Mar 11 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]403971[/snapback]</div>

Great, I found it. Thanks a lot. I dont understand why they couldnt put this in the manual.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Lexus has the same nav unit, but they get a web tutorial... Lexus Navigation

5. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 12 2007, 01:39 AM) [snapback]404098[/snapback]</div>

thanks for the info guys.

kinda offtopic, but I was wondering if its possible to watch movies on the console display. That would be pretty cool. Let me know guys

6. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you buy the right interface, you might be able to, but not as you get it from the dealer. Use the Search function to uncover lots of answers.

7. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrfaris @ Mar 11 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]403971[/snapback]</div>
    To complicate your life (or to better it - depending on how you look at it...) in this car, you dictate the speed you drive at for the purposes of calculating the 2 quick alternatives.

search for related topics... and it is also described in your manual.

Enjoy - I think this is one of the best NAV systems out there (for installed units that is).

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Bill is right on the online NAV DVD - Lexus; however, there's one that's a little more suited to the Prius NAV from the standpoint of dash layout and buttons. Basically, the Toyota NAV systems are the same, but this one is a little better for the Prius. This runs better if you have a high-speed computer connection:

http://www.toyota-eshowroom.com/consumer/T...toyota_nav.html

9. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    John, at first I thought the preset speeds (in the Setup screen) would simply complicate life as the Nav calculated arrival time based on those speeds and not actual speed.

But then I realized the Nav will constantly recalculate arrival time based on how far the destination is. So if, for example, you set a preset speed of 50mph, the Nav starts calculating based on that speed. Later, after you've been doing 75mph, the Nav realizes you're closer to the destination than it expected. It recalculates (still using 50mph), but the new calculated time is closer to reality.

As you get closer faster, the recalculations improve, because at some point, you're close enough that 50 vs 75mph doesn't make a significant difference in arrival time.

Lexus vs. Prius

Yesterday, my wife and I were walking and a woman in a Lexus stopped to ask directions. I didn't know where the street was, and I would have sent her completely wrong based on my guess.

Then she said she had Nav but couldn't enter the street name (Kendall Lane). She couldn't add the "Lane" suffix. I realized hers was the same as the Prius, so I talked her through it.

It was fun being able to say "Press this, press that, enter this..." without having to stop and understand her Nav system!

Press Destination. Press Address. Press on the street name and enter K E N D. Press City; choose Cambria. Press on the name Kendall Ln. She entered the house number, though the street is only one block long. Now press Replace and press Guide. Off she went.

10. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Mar 12 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]404269[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the URL, Charles. This appears to be almost identical to the Lexus tutorial. I had looked for this and hadn't found it, finding the Lexus one first. I would prefer to refer people to this URL so I'll use it in the future.

11. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Mar 12 2007, 05:08 PM) [snapback]404488[/snapback]</div>
    Rick, what you said is true. There are a couple of things you should consider:

1- The speed you set in the Nav system (say for Major Highway), represents the average speed it takes you to drive on that road, taking into account traffic, stop lights, speeding, etc... so, its a composite and has nothing to do with the speed limit signs. The same logic applies to the other two settings: Residential and Freeway.

In my case, I have a major road (e.g., Imperial Hwy in Los Angeles) that I happen to travel on for several miles frequently. As I enter that highway, I note the estimated time of arrival to my ultimate destination (which is many miles away after I leave Imperial Hwy). If at the end of my 4 or 5 mile trip on this road the arrival time is significantly different than when I entered the road, then this means that my speed setting for Major Highway is too low or too high. Of course, you want to base your decision based on a "typical" drive on that road - not some "optimal" drive (like at 2 in the morning). In addition, you would consider your personal preference as to whether you like the estimated time of arrival to be somewhat conservative or a little optimistic.

In summary, you can never get the setting exactly right - unless you change it every time you get on the road for the specific conditions of traffic... which is not practical. Rather, you want a setting that gives you a "reasonable and typical" time of arrival to your final destination.

The above exercise can be accomplished separately for each of the other 2 settings.

2- My second point is that the relative values you use for each of the three settings have an impact as to how the route is selected. The key here is regardless what values you picked in step 1... how each of the settings relates to the other has a strong influence in route selection by the computer for quick 1 or quick 2.

As a specific example, lets say for Residential you put 20 MPH, for Highway you put 35 MPH and for Freeway you put 70 MPH... in that scenario, the computer will start recommending routes which go out of their way to get to a freeway (including far longer routes than necessary), just so you can get to a road that you can travel faster on. So, if you start noticing that the computer is overemphasizing freeways, then you can either lower the speed setting for Freeway, OR you can raise the speed setting for Highway and/or Residential.

For your reference - every road within the navigation system database is assigned to one of the above three categories. Based on that assignment, time to destination is continuously calculated (basically, what Rick said).

12. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 13 2007, 02:42 AM) [snapback]404745[/snapback]</div>
    There is some question regarding to what extent the user entered speed info affects the quick1 and quick2 route identification.
    Previous routing discussion
    I haven't read the manual discussion that is referred to but it makes sense that the database would contain more detailed information on road conditions. The residential, main street or freeway entries just provide a way to adjust arrival time for individual user driving traits.

13. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrfaris @ Mar 13 2007, 08:20 AM) [snapback]404859[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have a manual near me right now - but I am pretty sure it works as I have described - I spent a lot of time playing around this part... If someone could quote the relevant part of the manual pertaining this discussion, it would be very appreciated.

14. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 13 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]404904[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I can't find the citation Sho-Bud referred to either. However, I have to believe that the speed information contained in the database is more detailed than 3 simple categories. Otherwise how could the system differentiate between major interstates with 70+ speeds and windy mountain highways with 45-55 average speeds. The NAVTEQ site talks about speed restrictions included in their database. I guess I'll have to spend some time in the car and run a few tests.