1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius PHV Plug-In Updates?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cashcorn, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a previous owner of a Lexus ES, I want to see what the next Lexus ES 300h is going to offer. But right now, a plug-in would be great for me, live in central Florida, work one way is 6.1 miles from home.

For now, I am planning on the Prius PHV unless the Lexus ES 300h came out with some good numbers, 38mpg combined or more.

2. o2cool

o2cool o2cool

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My dealer in Palo Alto had a Plug-In for test drives today. Pretty much like a 2011 Prius. The hatchback deck is raised 2 inches for the battery, so you do lose a little cargo room. No room for a spare tire, either. So, you get an emergency tire repair kit, instead. Can plug into 110 volt (3 hr recharge) or 220 volt (1.5 hr recharge). Salesman expects to deliver 45 (now on their wait list) between Jan and Jun 2012. Can't wait.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sweet! That's ideal for a Prius PHV.

4. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What does that mean?

5. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What they are showing are cars that were part of a demonstration program, he meant like a 2010 Prius body, etc.

We do NOT know what the final options or packages will be. It is assumed they will add the light blue as a color (that is what is on most of the demo models) as that color is on the Prius V that will be out this late summer.

Most people theorize that there will be no sun roof due to the weight of it- they will be trying to get the most MPG from this car for EPA purposes.

6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that it is unlikely that the solar panel option will make it to the Prius PHV because of weight, but I am really hoping the panoramic resin roof will be an option on the PHV.

7. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So they are going to sell off the "used demo" PHVs???

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They may sell them, but I suspect they will use them as test mules for testing components of next generation Prius, like future Lithium batteries.

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think they will sell them.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I seriously doubt they'd sell them. There could be liability issues along w/specialized parts that might be specific to the demonstrators, making it not worth it for Toyota to keep them running around in the field.

Also, competitors could use them to get insight into Toyota's iterative processes (e.g. comparing shipping 3rd gen to demonstrator to shipping PHV). Having them floating around already is enough of a risk.

I agree about some being possibly used as test mules.
    Exactly!

I saw one at Redmond Town Center as part of their Prius v roadshow so I finally got to see first hand the changes that Danny and others had described here (like when he talked about it during a podcast ep long ago). I saw the higher rear cargo floor and got the whole "bulging w/batteries" comment he made along w/extra ventilation for the batteries and lack of EV button. But yes, it otherwise looks pretty much like a 3rd gen Prius inside and out.

Very lucky that some folks in the Bay Area were able to test drive the PHV Prius demonstrator. Too bad I'm not back in the Bay Area yet. :( I'll be moving back there next month.

1 person likes this.
  11. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would have to agree because these demo cars are not production cars but prototypes.

Incidently, does anybody know whether all 600 of them are the same. I was thinking that Toyota may have these prototypes with different batteries or different specifications in order for them to decide which battery performs better and finalize with that one. It's just a thought!

12. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought there were only 150 put out?

13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are right, it is 150 in the US/Canada. I meant to say 600 in different parts of the world.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No source to quote here, but one distributer told me on the Q.T. that some of the proof of concepts were leased, with lease terms written in that they could not sell them for at least a given time ... but that language within the lease terms did permit it at some point, FWIW.

15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I hear ya. There's 8 Volts at 6 dealerships within a 50 mile radius here. Wife works with a guy whose son works strictly on the Volt. Makes it hard to say no but gawd laying out the initial price.
    :eek:

I can afford it, but that's not what I usually budget for a car. WAY HIGHER than I usually budget. Maybe I should take one for a test drive anyways.

16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, anytime someone mentions that there are unsold Chevy Volts in dealers, I am asking how is that possible since the plant has shut down, retooling for 2012 model year after selling 2,184 Volts for 2011. Are you sure that there are unsold Volts?

17. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually there's 19 of them in about 100 miles. But it figures that there's none at the dealerships I'd shop at. There's also demo ones but you can tell those because they have VOLT printed on their sides in huge letters. Not my color scheme.
    ;)

Still its tweaking my nerd gland. But damn that price.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any idea why the Volts are sitting? Orphans? Are they waiting for their buyers to come pick them up? No takers? They're being marked up too high? Or, are marked as "used" by unscrupulous dealers?

19. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like I said, I don't shop at the dealerships that have them for sale. The price is a little high for the crowd around here competing directly with Cadillac SUVs, Camaros, and the Ford/Lincoln offerings. To these people a SUV is a bargain compared to the Volt. Two of them are in the lot a little down the road from the Toyota dealer. And I haven't shopped for a Chevy in years and years. But if I were to get a Chevy, the Volt would probably be it. They are there in the lot of the couple I checked, the rear end is unmistakable.

20. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will go in September to take a look when the Volt hit Florida showrooms.
    But, working 6.1 miles from home, the PHV's 13 or so miles in EV is more than adequate for me and more importantly, is the prospect that it may be rated higher in HV mode due to EV regen. I would not care about more EV miles if it is rated at 55mpg or more combined after EV depletion. I am only wishing at this point!