1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius, Prius C... or XV Crosstrek?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by minnyprius, Oct 29, 2014.

1. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello everyone! Now, I've hesitated to post this question, but perhaps enough of you will find this interesting enough to comment.

I live in Minneapolis. We get wintery weather, on average, from November through April, meaning 5 months of the year with possible snow and/or ice on the roads.

Ideally, I want a vehicle that's reliable, and cheap to own. Prius obviously fits that bill.
    Prius C is less expensive, and more the size I like. Prius feels too big, but seems more refined.

I've never owned a car with AWD, but I'm very tempted to do that this time around.
    However, is the added cost of ownership to get a Subaru XV Crosstrek worth it?

Some people have said that the Prius is terrible on snowy/icy surfaces due to the over-protective traction control. Other people say it's just fine.

I currently drive a smart fortwo. But believe it or not, with Blizzak tires on it in the winter, it's been great. Over the 6.5 years I've had it, only 2 days have I chosen to stay home instead of risk getting stuck somewhere. But, it would be awesome if I owned a car that I would feel comfortable enough to visit family in the U.P. of Michigan in the winter time.

Any Prius owners who have also owned a Subaru before? Would you do it again?

How about build quality? Which car would be quieter and have less rattles, etc?

Anyway... Hopefully some of you will find this contemplation interesting enough to comment. I'm horribly torn. Thanks so much for reading!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I tend to point out that children will out grow a c, but since children would outgrow a fortwo on the way home from the hospital, that is moot.
    My 2001 Subaru Forester got 24 MPG. So my similar sized v is almost twice as economical. How many days a year are you feeling limited mobility? (you can rent SUVs at car rental places)

The Gen 2 Prius (2004 - 2009) was over protective, no current Prius is as touchy.

I owned a Subaru (and a AWD Toyota) when I lived in Elko NV, at 5000 feet and worked at 6500 feet, where it snows 10 months of the year.
    Then as now, I wanted a big open box of a car to put stuff in. My Subaru needed new head gaskets at 12 years, ($2700, about the same cost and time as a new hybrid battery) not too uncommon. If I lived in mountainous snow again, I would drive a Subaru again.
    What year Subarus had head gasket problems - Car Talk

Some fuelly (real world) MPG.

My Subaru 2001 Subaru Forester Mileage
    My first Prius 2009 Toyota Prius Mileage
    My current v 2012 Toyota Prius V Mileage

Cars you are interested in
    Smart Fortwo Mileage | Fuelly
    Subaru XV Crosstrek Mileage | Fuelly
    Toyota Prius C Mileage | Fuelly

#2 JimboPalmer, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  3. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Current Prii traction control isn't nearly as intrusive, and a set of 4 good snow tires makes them a very fine winter car. You'll probably run out of ground clearance (deep snow) before you run out of traction.

The only time I've ever had the TC really impede things for me was trying to back over a low berm to park on the edge of a muddy field. (at a Christmas tree farm). The guy wanted me to park in the field which was covered in wet, muddy grass and I told him I'd get stuck, so he had me back in from the edge of the field. Because I had no momentum and was on a slipper surface, the throttle basically just went dead. I had to pull farther forward, then get a little momentum going backward so that TC didn't shut me down when I hit and spun briefly on the low berm.

In every day driving, with plenty of icy, snowy northern New England driving, it's never been an issue. Again though, for we northerners, 4 quality winter tires makes a world of difference. I have to drive up a hill to get home everyday and even in the nastiest weather, the TC has never stopped me. I'll see the TC light blink to tell me it's working when the snow is deep, but never the dead stop that many experienced with the Gen2.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    didn't we already go around and around on this in the past?

sincerely yours,

mickie

5. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok, if a Northern New Englander says it works fine, I'm sold. We can delete this thread now. Thanks!

Sporin likes this.
  6. skayaks

skayaks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    minnyprius said: "Ideally, I want a vehicle that's reliable, and cheap to own. Prius obviously fits that bill.
    Prius C is less expensive, and more the size I like. Prius feels too big, but seems more refined."

My thought process too. One year ago I traded a used-up '99 Honda CR-V (AWD) for a C(2). We still have two AWD/4WD vehicles in our garage but I wanted at least one car that returned great mileage. The C has done that, and is way better in the snow than I hoped. I'll still take one of the AWD cars if it's really nasty out but that's due more to babying the new car than capability. With four Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snows the C was confidence inspiring last winter. Knock wood, the C has been trouble-free and may be the least expensive car to drive.

Sorry, no Subaru experience here. My wife would prefer not to have another, but friends' more recent experience with theirs has been better.
    I have considered a Crosstrek for my daughter in Vermont, but after experiencing 50+ mpg it will be hard to settle for 28.
    The C is an econo-box and likely can't compete with the Subaru on creature comforts as more money went into the drivetrain. Good luck with your choice.

minnyprius likes this.
  7. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius c before I got the liftback drove fine in that 2014 winter we had in Wisconsin using 4 Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires. So long as the streets were plowed, it handled fine. I did have some trouble on slush, but I think that's true for any car, and snow deeper than 4 inches gave me trouble. Fortunately for that though, I could take an alternate route if I suspected a road I took to work wasn't plowed.

I'm a firm believer that snow tires trumps all wheel drive without snow tires. Plus AWD is an extra thing you may have to fix down the road, and your mpg is going to suffer year round compared to a hybrid. That's not to say you should drive recklessly in snow/ice conditions though.

As far as gas, I averaged about 56-58 mpg in the summer doing 33% suburb driving (slightly higher mph, 40-45 typically), and 66% freeway. In winter it dropped to about 42-44, which is still higher than non-hybrids. If I drove it "normally", aka fast, then subtract 3-4 mpg from those averages.

The c doesn't handle bumps very well, so you'll feel and hear every single one you run over. The liftback, being heavier and having a slightly longer wheelbase, absorbs said bumps a little better. But if you work in the city where parking space may be limited, the c is vastly easier to park due to its smaller size. Both cars also don't have much soundproofing/dampening, so they tend to be a little louder, though the liftback is slightly quieter on the freeway. The c whines when you need speed fast or are going uphill on a noticeable incline.

The biggest thing is, what do you plan to do with your vehicle? If you're just using it for a daily commute, the c would be fine. If you haul a lot of stuff regularly or a bigger family, the SUV might not be a bad choice, especially if your work commute isn't far. You can also camp out in the prius liftback if you so want; other posters here have done it, and you can search that if that's your thing. You could always just rent an SUV for the family trip excursion in the UP, or visit them when there's no snow/ice to worry about.

I'd suggest test driving them and seeing what you feel about them. These are just my experiences, but you know what they say, your mileage may vary.

minnyprius likes this.
  8. winglik

winglik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a Subaru 2013 Impreza (same as the XV)for about 2 years for about 30k miles. That car was awesome, you got more confidence on any weather, especially during those crazy winter weather. Last winter was horrible. but no issue with the Impreza on stock all season tires, event the stock tires sucks. The MPG for the Subaru is good for an AWD car, but not great compare to the Prius,. I commute about 60 miles daily with 60% highway driving, I got an average of 27MPG on the Subaru. after switched to the Prius this summer, I get 51MPG on the same route. Since I drive over 400 miles per week, I decide to go with the Prius to save some $$$ on gas.

To answer you questions.

Size:
    Prius isn't much bigger than the Subaru, no issue for me to park in tight NYC parking spots. But Prius has more usable space. Prius gives you that bigger feeling due to it's bigger pillar and that back hatch design, it creates some blind spots when backing up or change lane. Subaru is much better, you have better visibility with their new design.

Driving:
    Subaru is way better car to drive. with the boxer engine siting low, you have way better handling and cornering capability. AWD is always a plus for rain and snow condition. Seat position is better on the Subaru as well. I still not get used the Prius. I also don't like the Toyota Braking. I have more confidence with the Subaru. Prius' brake skips if the road is bumpy because the car use the re-gen braking first, at that moment if you hit a bump, you can feel the car skip a bit before the car switch to mechanical braking. With the bigger blind spot, the Prius is more a point A to point B car with care!

For wet and Winter driving, Subaru will do fine even with the crappy stock all season tires, you might need new tires after 2-3 years. I got stuck once due to my stupidity that I drove in to a gas station with the snow higher than the car's bottom, but I got out without much trouble, but with but the XV has 9" clearance, that should be fine. As for the Prius, I haven't drive it in the winter, but I already got a spare set of winter tires for the winter. So I should be fine with the nasty weather comes. Just remember to turn off the traction control when needed.

Comfort and build quality,
    Both car is great. no issue with any rattles. but read Subaru users complained about interior rattles in some early built model. Subaru is much safer but Prius is more comfortable and less noise compare to the Subaru. During highway driving, Subaru will get more road noise and also wind noise will pickup for over 70MPH, I added more sound damping to the doors and hatch of the Subaru, but doesn't do much. Seats is more comfortable in the Prius, but not the seat positioning.

As a owner of both cars. Prius is better for MPG, interior space and comfort. Subaru is better for driving confident, driving style. safety and more FUN! but since right now I just need it for commute, I choose Prius (unfortunately the XV Hybird is over priced and sucks in MPG). But it's all depend what you need. Winter in NY is not always crappy, so the Prius should be fine, but Minneapolis the XV might be a smarter choice. If you want to know more about the Imprez/XV, go to NASIOC or the XV form.

#8 winglik, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  9. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are so many Prii up here, you can look in any parking lot in the area and count a dozen. People get around in winter just fine, and I suspect you will, too.

Same here. AWD really only helps you get going. Snow tires help you get going, help you turn, and (most importantly imo) help you stop.

10. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see that you live in Winterland as I do, and my biggest concern with the Prius is the low ground clearance. I'm not too reliant on traction control on icy surfaces; I regard the best protection for that is an ice-tire. I've driven my Prius in subzero temperatures already, and I don't foresee any major problems mechanically. I like that it warms up so quickly and is easier to start in cold weather than most vehicles.

Aside from the winter considerations, I've found the Prius to be the best hybrid on the market all-around, balancing all the features. The fuel economy is the best by far in it's class and that's the big one for me. The ride comfort, the reliability and the cargo space are also the icing on the cake.

I've heard that the Gen 4 Prius will have an all-wheel drive option, extended EV range and improved fuel economy. That might be worth waiting for.

11. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    4 Proper winter tires on a Front Wheel Drive car is often better than an all wheel drive car with all season tires.

Tires and driver skill (and understanding of physics :)) are more important than the drive hardware in the car.

Check out this video from icy Canada where they did a real world test;
    Wheels.ca Redesign - Video Gallery - Large - for Taboola lightbox

12. ilikethempgs

ilikethempgs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought my Prius this summer after 10+ years driving a Quattro stick Audi. I'm getting ready to buy snow tires right now.

The Prius is great. 50mpg, JBL, Bluetooth, 50mpg, lots of great cargo space, 50mpgs....

Turbo Audi in the snow with stick? You can't beat it. Of course the seats were better in the Audi. Apples and oranges. 23mpg in the winter compared to what- maybe 40mpg this winter?

I'm saving a ton at the pump and mechanic :) plus Audi's new cars are getting huge and tough to find a stick.

Prius is great!!!!

13. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do expect your average MPG to drop some in winter. Unless you are one of those martyrs who doesn't turn on the heat in the car ;) .

Gas engine runs more often to keep itself, and you, warmer. Higher rolling resistance of snow tires, more friction on the road surface on snow, etc. I average about 47 in the summer and 43 in the winter. You may do better if you live in a flatter area.

14. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Short trips have the worst mileage in winter, a 5 mile commute with cold engine will be brutal MPG wise on any car. Depending on where you live, grill blocking and/or EBH (Engine Block Heater) can make a huge improvement.

15. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, it's going to be rough this winter, my wife only drives 4 miles each way to the bus stop instead of the 20 miles each way commute she used to do. That said, even in the low 40's (per tank mpg) the Prius is still very efficient and nearly paid off. :) My 4Runner (V6) got 17mpg over the last tank, almost all local travel, so that 43 on the Prius looks pretty solid. :)

16. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for all of your feedback!
    I agree, snow tires are amazing! They helped me drive my easy-bake-oven throughout the winters (it's REAR-wheel drive, mind you) without issue. Granted I've never experienced AWD, so I'm curious. But a few of you have mentioned snow tires on 2-wheel-drive vehicles works better than AWD with all-seasons. So, I think you've kept me following my brain on the Prius. And yes, I'm hoping to hold out until there are enough details about the new generation coming out. I'll either pony up the extra money to get that one, or save more on a used 3rd gen.

thanks everyone! I truly appreciate your help!

Ashlem likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's also rear-engined so it helps with extra weight on the rear wheels :)