1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Recall

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Prius NZ, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Prius NZ

Prius NZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Below is a copy of the letter from Toyota NZ regarding my enquiry about whether my Prius i-Tech was part of the announced recall:
    -------------------------------------------'--'---------------------------

11 April 2014

Thank you for your email to Toyota New Zealand in regards to your Toyota Prius, registration xxxxxx.

We are able to confirm that your vehicle is currently involved in the Prius Motor Generator ECU and Power Management ECU Control Reflash Special Service Campaign.

The inverter assembly is part of the hybrid system of the subject vehicle. Inside the inverter assembly is an Intelligent Power Module (IPM) which contains a control board equipped with transistors known as Insulated-Gate Bipolar Transistors (IGBT’s). Due to certain characteristics of the software used to control the boost converter in the IPM, higher thermal stress could occur in specific IGBT’s used for the operation of the boost converter, which is required during high-load driving such as accelerating during highway driving. If this occurs, the IGBT could deform and eventually result in damage to the IGBT(s), illuminating various warning lights on the instrument panel. In most cases, the vehicle will enter a fail-safe mode, resulting in reduced motive power in which the vehicle can still be driven for certain distances. In limited instances, the motor/generator ECU could reset, causing the hybrid system to shut down and resulting in the vehicle stopping while being driven.

We are currently working with Toyota Motor Corporation and we will notify you by letter via registered post once we have the required remedial parts available. Please be assured that as you are part of the Toyota family, you will be looked after and the remedial work will be at no cost to you.

If you require any further assistance, please contact us on 0800 TOYOTA (0800 869 682) or an Authorised Toyota Dealer.

We thank you again for your enquiry.

Kind Regards

Aaron Wheeler

Toyota New Zealand: | T 0800 TOYOTA (869 682) | 0800 4LEXUS (453 987) | W

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew this whole recall was Bipolar since it was first announced!

3. Prius NZ

Prius NZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    NZ Toyotas are made in Japan so the fault may not be the same for US/UK versions.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe right now all Prius are manufactured in Japan.
    I think the recall is pretty much all encompassing, almost all Gen 3 standard Prius.

The description of the problem and solution as presented in your letter is pretty much simply what we've all been told.

What I'd like to know BUT have given up on Toyota ever sharing is when Toyota say's "Due to certain characteristics of the software used to control the boost converter in the IPM, higher thermal stress could occur".

What exactly are those "certain characteristics" and exactly how are those "certain characteristics" being altered and modified.

But Toyota is being carefully both specific and simultaneously purposefully vague. On that? They aren't sharing.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would like to see the results of the epa mpg test after the recall.

hybridbear likes this.