1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Service: Often and Extra Costs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nda3rdCar, Jul 12, 2007.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Jul 12 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]477708[/snapback]</div>
    First, you are allowing yourself to get ripped by your dealer. When you bought the car you were given a maintenance guide book and all that needs to be accomplished on a routine basis is in that book. Anything else you allow the dealer to charge you for is just handing them your money.

There really is no "free" scheduled maintenance. Believe me, you paid for it in the price of the car.
    Audi and VW have gone the path of extended service intervals as a result of the dealerships inability to keep up with the "free" maintenance demand , since their sales picked up a few years ago. Originaly those cars, too, had service intervals of 5K miles. So they went with a Synthetic oil requirement in their engine , to lengthen maintenance intervals (and reduce the dealership's service demands). The cars come in for maintenance only 3 times during the 'free' period, previously it was 10 service visits. They have chosen to take that risk of less scheduled service with their cars, during the warranty period.

(And the odds are in their favor, because most any modern engine will run 50,000 miles with little if any maintenance. It's the long term owner who will pay the price with these extended service interval, but Audi/VW doesn't give a crap then, they will no long have any responsibility for their product at that point)

Now you know the rest of the story......So don't frown on Toyota, Frown on Audi/VW. It's a sales gimmick the long term consumer pays for.

You can make the same choice for your Prius, once the warranty period it up. Use synthetic and make up your own extended intervals if you wish.

2. RICHGUESS

RICHGUESS New Member

I go to either Goodyear, or some other local place for the 5K plan which is about $20 with an internet coupon, and includes tire rotation. I went to Jiffy Lube last time as they had a $20 special. The guy tried to sell me a HEPA filter (the interior ventillation filter) at 10K (book says 30K) after showing me some leaves in it. It doesn't show how to access it in the manual, but it's easy to find on PriusChat or lots of places on the web. I just cleaned it out and put it back in. The maintainance requirements are really very minimal.

3. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RICHIE1 @ Jul 12 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]477907[/snapback]</div>

Page 300-302 in the owners manual.

4. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 12 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]477829[/snapback]</div>

And some people need to stop talking about others in this strange way.... come on, So many have been helpfull and not judgemental. We all like the cars and I'm just getting used to the Toyota mind set. Thanks for reading and contributing. Best of luck to you. - Nda3rdcar

5. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

:lol:
    I just wanted to say to all the people who contributed to PriusChat in reply to my post, a big THANK YOU.
    Everyone has had great suggestions and advice. I hope the question I posed and the replies help other
    Prius owners like me who, perhaps, haven't been exposed to new car service-sticker-shock as I described.
    I will shop around and find a less expensive service for my Prius.

Everyone, thanks again!

-Nda3rdcar

6. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It can cost quite a bit to get your tires rotated at the place where you get your oil change. When I first got my Prius, I went to Discount Tire (AKA America's Tire, you can do the same thing at Wal-Mart) and paid them $40 for rotation/balance for the life of the tires. I got 40,000 miles out of them, so that was 7 services for $40. IF I take my car to a dealer instead of doing my own oil change, I take my own filter and oil and just pay them for the labor. MUCH cheaper than paying for a lot of stuff the Prius doesn't need!!!

7. T-spirit

T-spirit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    have been lurking the forum for a while as we have our UK Spec Prius on order (T-Spirit with leather in Decuma Grey; no idea what package # that relates to, but is the top spec out of the 3 available) - should get it end July hopefully.

This thread had me somewhat worried as I don't recall if we were told service intervals - so have just checked and ours (from the sales literature) is 20,000 Miles or for high-useage an interim oil change at 10,000 miles is recommended.

How come in the US you have a rediculously low 5000 mile interval?

Mark.

8. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-Spirit @ Jul 13 2007, 09:31 AM) [snapback]478050[/snapback]</div>
    The simple answer is FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt), because the typical US consumer is a sheep and has been brainwashed into believing that oil should be changed every 3 months or 3,000 miles.

I remember 30 years ago it was conventional wisdom that oil needed to be changed every 5,000 miles. Then Jiffy Lube opened up and they started putting little stickers in people's windows indicating that a change was needed every 3,000 miles. This was blatant marketing strategy on their part.... brilliant in my opinion. You almost have to respect that kind of manipulative thinking.

Some years back Consumers Report did their own study on a fleet of NYC taxis-- half got oil changes at 3,000 miles and the other half got oil changes at 12,000 miles. Then the engines were torn down to check bearing tolerances, etc. They found no real difference at all between the two groups.

9. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is no question Nda3rdcar has been getting ripped off.

Every car bought at Miller Toyota in Manassas, VA, comes with a coupon book for various savings. It includes 6 coupons for oil changes (taking a Prius to 30,000 miles). It applies to all cars they sell. There is no bogus extra Prius charge.

The coupon cost is $8.95 for an oil change or $21.95 for oil change with tire rotation. I've had the oil changed and tires rotated three times (5K, 10K, and just last week 15K). Total maintenance cost through 15,000 miles is $65.85.

They make it very convenient by having evening hours for oil changes only. Between 6:00 pm and 8:30 pm, you can just show up with no appointment.

For anyone in the Northern Virginia area, I highly recommend buying and servicing your Prius at Miller. It is the best dealer I have ever dealt with in 30 years of buying new cars.

10. coonbutt

coonbutt New Member

I will be getting oil changes at the dealer, but that is all. They are free for life for every new car they sell. By the way, Walmart rotates tires for $6 ($1.50 per tire).

11. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As the old adage goes, "You get what you pay for", so I am not sure I would trust a free oil change at any dealership. There are several threads on here about the kind of bulk oil that most dealerships use.

Many use an entirely different viscosity than is recommended by Toyota. 10W30 is the closest thing to a one-size-fits-all oil. Many older vehicles need 10W30, and most newer vehicles are OK with it in warmer climates. Since many garages don't want to have multiple tanks of bulk oil they choose to carry only 10W30. Others use the correct viscosity, but the oil is often contaminated with water and other debris.

12. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

:D

Just to let you know that I've read all the replies to my post.... A Prius driving co-worker refered me to a place for service. It's a bit of a drive from my home, but my Prius won't use too much gas to get there. I'll let the forum know how this goes, perhaps I can take the car in tomorrow. The contributors to this forum provided a lot of good advice. THANK YOU EVERYONE! -Nda3rdcar

13. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Jul 13 2007, 12:55 AM) [snapback]477950[/snapback]</div>
    You mean, straightforward with no BS?

Suck it up, man. You may not like hearing that you should read your owner's manual, but that doesn't change that you should.

14. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't blame the car, Blame the dealer! I bring my Prius to our local Toyota dealer for service every 5k and it's usally just an oil change. $22.95 with coupon, no extra charge cause it's a Prius.

15. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 13 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]478362[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. If you are operating a vehicle without first reading and understanding the owner's manual, you are putting yourself into an untenable position by being ignorant to the facts. Service advisors aren't much more than salesmen. It is their job to drive revenue into the service operations and taking care of ignorant customers is the easiest way for them to do this.

Additionally, anyone who trusts what a car salesman says needs to have his/her head examined. These folks didn't earn the reputation of being liars and cheats for nothing. Anytime you deal with them you have to be of the mindset that they are trying to screw you; because they are. They are trying to close a deal and if the truth happens to get in the way, you better believe that they will side-step it to get you to sign on the line which is dotted.

Q: How do you know that a car salesman is lying?

A: His lips are moving.

16. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Jul 12 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]477708[/snapback]</div>

I didn't see anyone address this point: Your 2006 uses type WS ATF, not the T-IV type. And the change interval is not every 15K. Galaxee addresses this in the thread she linked to.

Just like everything else, there are good dealers and bad ones. It sounds like your (ex)dealer is one of the bad ones by trying to sell you service that isn't necessary and charging you extra fees (hybrid fee) that really aren't justified.

17. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When we bought Rudy, the salesman held the Owner's manual up "Read this" he said, "Cover to cover. I mean it."
    He got out the cute little "Service Passport" "Here is everything you need to do, right here, spelled out for you. Just follow what it says, at the 5K intervals." Then, he pointed at the OM again, "But, read the whole thing, okay?"
    Very good salesman. I'm betting that he burns out trying to be a good guy in a bad business...

18. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Chuck, you've made your opinion clear, and the OP has been gracious about accepting your chides, so I think you've made your point. I think we can all agree that the OP learned their lesson the hard way, and I'm sure we've all been, to some degree or other, uninformed consumers at some point in our lives.

Two parties are to blame for the situation:

1. A dealer who's willing to rip off customers by charging a "Prius fee" for servicing a car that's easier to service than many others in their fleet. I hope that comes back to bite them, but since there's "a sucker born every minute," they'll probably continue to get away with it.
    2. A customer who didn't thoroughly check their maintenance documentation or their options before paying for service.

But hey, OP had the presence of mind at least to recognize they were being swindled. And as mentioned, talking about it here might even help someone else avoid making the same mistake. So, be a good sport, and if you feel you have to say "RTFM," consider how you'd like to be answered if/when you have a problem whose solution doesn't seem obvious at first.

19. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jul 13 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]478399[/snapback]</div>
    It's likely that he'll be VERY successful.

I know most of you have never seen a true professional, have only seen the Herb Tarleks of the world, but a true professional is a wonder to work with--in any profession.

I'm sure you've all worked with those who are just passing time, and those for whom what they're doing is a career. Car sales is no different. And it IS possible to make a very, very good living at car sales without being a sleazeball.

20. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah... there are lamers in every profession. For the record, everyone I dealt with at Wellesley Toyota has been courteous, professional, and correct in everything they've told me. And if they're unsure of an answer, they'll either look it up, or take my word for it ;) So you can find good ones!