1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Service: Often and Extra Costs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nda3rdCar, Jul 12, 2007.

1. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 13 2007, 08:05 PM) [snapback]478410[/snapback]</div>
    There's plenty of blame for the dealership, no question.

But I'd like to think that anyone smart enough to come here is smart enough to know that he has an owner's manual and should get it out and read it.

It's not that the solution is obvious, necessarily; it's that people aren't even doing the basics and checking to see if they cover the solution before throwing their hands up in the air in a panic and running to web forums and the like.

If you choose to go forth without reading the owner's manual, and you've managed to buy a rather expensive car, you should be aware that you've chosen not to read the manual--and that when you hit the wall on something, you admit to yourself that you *should* check the owner's manual because it's likely there.

To light your hair on fire and FIRST come running to a forum like this to ask, "What's that light on the dash?" or "how often should I get it serviced and what services should I have done?" or whatever? Come on.

2. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm honestly waiting for someone to ask for advice on how to use the blinkers to signal a left-hand turn.

3. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Jul 12 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]477708[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think it's the norm around here for most manufacturers to cover scheduled service. I remember hearing that BMW or maybe Mercedes does it, but then those are more expensive cars, and I figured it was a "more expensive car" perk. It's nice to hear that VW will do it, even if VW doesn't fall into that class. But I haven't heard the Big 3 or any of the mainstream Japanese makes doing it.

I had a Honda for years before this and had to pay for all of my scheduled service. Ended up just going to the cheap quick oil change shops around here.

For the Prius I went for the prepaid maint plan through Troy and Toyota of Greenfield, so I'm covered.

FWIW, Fremont Toyota did my 5000 mile service and then put in a reminder sticker that had just 3750 miles added to it. I'll be ignoring that. :)

(edit) woo, repeating what others have said. ohwells

4. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 13 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]478447[/snapback]</div>
    You laugh. Find the thread here about "hidden Prius features" and you'll discover an entire discussion about "those funny little red things by the door handles--ohmigosh, those are DOOR LOCK buttons? I didn't know the Prius had door lock buttons!"

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well consider a young kid who's been raised by computers. Lots of people think of the stereotypical Gen-Y+ kid as being very tech-savvy, but I think today's tech inspires the opposite. I'm of the generation that grew up with the kind of computers that you had to program in order to do anything other than King's Quest. But my college students now only know how to run instant messenger and a web browser, and when I show them a command-line they throw a fit.

So, one of those same kids gets their first car, and it's a Prius, with SKS, eCVT, and all the other auto-stuff. Of course they don't read the manual because everything seems so easy to operate. They've never touched a door lock before because mom's minivan has auto-sliding doors, they've never read a software/hardware manual before because it's not written in OMGROFLMAO language... Basically, it's not a surprise that some people miss the basics.

In other words, I totally agree with you, Chuck and the RTFM crowd. However, I think you made your point clearly enough the first time, and there's no point in beating it with a stick.

Add to that the fact that money is involved, and you know that even without being berated for it, the OP has either learned their lesson or is too dumb to ever learn it ;)

6. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased my 2007 in April and am planning on starting with the dealer for servicing to to see how they are. Normally I stay away from dealers but the Prius makes me a little nervous. I know there is no reason for it so I guess I am a little paranoid. Jumping over that, however, I drive only about 500 miles/month since I am now retired. This means it will take me about 10 months to hit 5K miles. The manual says 5000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. Should I wait for the mileage or the time interval for deciding to go in for service? What are other low mileage drivers doing?

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dhoward @ Jul 14 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]478599[/snapback]</div>
    We take our Prius in every 6 months, since we drive less than 5K miles per 6 months. The service interval is generally interpreted as "every 5K miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first." To be honest, I don't really understand why we should take the car in every 6 months, since it seems to me that driving is what can cause engine/oil wear (I could make something up about the oil structure breaking down with time or something, but I imagine there's someone out there with an actual answer), but that's the schedule we've been following.

8. noelty

noelty Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 13 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]478418[/snapback]</div>
    It is amazing how many sleaze balls there are out here in L.A. at various dealers. There are specifically two dealerships that are within ten mile of where I live. I asked that the paperwork be ready when I arrive at the dealer and both dealerships did not have the paperwork ready and tried to gauge me. Needless to say I walked from both dealerships...bought my car 45 minutes away from one of those true professionals you talk about.

9. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jul 14 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]478607[/snapback]</div>
    Very short trips without getting the engine up to temperature well enough or long enough--that driving style is worse for oil than letting it go 15K all on highway miles.

Get it done at the 6 month intervals. You're killing your oil. Not that the oil itself is going bad, but you have a lot of water and acid in there from your very short trips.

Unless you make 5 hundred mile trips a month...

10. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 14 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]478640[/snapback]</div>
    Most people do not realize that water vapor and gasoline contaminate the oil. The owners manual even states that short trips can give a false oil reading on the dipstick because these contaminants haven't had the chance to burn off. A good example is how many times have you seen a car driving and seen water dripping out the tailpipe from the moisture that has built up throughout the system and getting blown out. Or open up your oil cap after a drive and you can usually see steam.

11. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 13 2007, 09:41 PM) [snapback]478507[/snapback]</div>
    <_< This is a good place for people to learn.... You joined in April of 2007. There are people here who have helped others for years. I started with this forum before we even ordered the car. I've been helped a great deal just on this one post. My time with Priuschat is not every day, not every week, in fact, it has been a while since going into the forum for anything. Many of my earlier contributions were about the 2" receiver hitch. I recently wrote about driving from LA to Las Vegas and how the car handled at high speeds in 100+ degree temps. It's just folks talking... that's all.

Drive safe and enjoy the drive.

-Nda3rdcar

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 13 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]478447[/snapback]</div>
    You can do that? really?

13. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"*Additional $21.96 for type T-IV transmission fluid."

One other poster picked up on this. Why does your Pruis need ANY trans fluid? Unless you have 100K miles I don't see why a change is required, mush less an extra charge.

14. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

a chemical cleaner is added to your current engine oil and is idled for 5 mins, then we drain the oil.

After putting new oil in, we add 200 ml of "engine armor" to make the oil slicker? Who knows... I've actually saw priuses going through the hot oil flush and I jokingly go, "aha watch check engine light!" But of course no light ever came on :p

I think im going to try it tomorrow (since i do my own oil change and get everything at discount because i work at the dealership) and see if I feel a power difference when climbing the hills since I know my car very well.

If you must know hot oil change is a spiff item, meaning I get a share for every hot oil change sold (so advisors tend to push it on their customers, I however, only recommend it when I know the person WANTS to spend money and really loves their car. Interval for a hot oil flush is 1 year or 24000 km whatever comes first.)

As I always say what Toyota recommends is bare minimum and in my opinion people take their cars beyond the minimum.

15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a local issue. The excuse 'it's because it's a Prius is a crock.' In fact the Toyota hybrids have less maintenance required than a Corolla or a Yaris ( explanation upon demand ).

Find a new store to do your service they'll love you for the additonal business.

I'm must reaching 100,000 miles and I'd estimate that my total service charges after 18 visits is just a little above yours after 3 visits...wear items excluded of course

16. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My '07 ha never seen the dealer...23k miles and a couple of do it yourself oil changes.

17. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    22 months, 34,000mi, sythetic oil changes plus oil analysis, all scheduled items maintained per Toyota's calendar, and one flat repair: $296. What's that, $13.50 per month or $0.009 per mile to maintain my car? Works for me.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, another thread back from the dead!
    The Prius requires the least repair and maintenance of any car I've owned. I recently discovered I could change the oil and filter without jacking the car up, or even using any tools. I just park it on the bit of slope from my garage and crawl right under.

19. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The Prius has about the lowest maintenance of any car in existence. The only thing you need to do for the first 100K miles is change the oil every 5K miles and rotate the tires. Then, finally, at 100K, you're supposed to change the spark plugs, but the reality is, most platinum tips plugs really will last for $200K+ miles. I just changed the the original plugs on my SC400 at 275K miles. The tips looked nearly new with no sign of wear. Changing them did not improve my already excellent fuel economy but I did it when I did the timing belt(200K+ miles on it), TB idlers, TB tensioner, water pump, plugs, wires, caps, rotors, and serpentine belt.

The Prius has no timing belt and no accessory belts. When the HSD is changed, it all comes out unlike standard automatic transmissions that leave 3/4ths of the fluid in.

Eventually, you'll want to change out the coolant and brake fluid, but there's no power steering or accessory belts as everything is electric. Oh, I guess you need to check the engine air filter and cabin air filter every once in a while.

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Some differences of opinion with Sorka.

The plugs are iridium not platinum. Toyota's interval is actually 60k in some markets, though they are probably good for 100k. So they don't get corroded into place it is good policy to take them out at halftime and put anti-sieze on the threads.

The transaxle fluid change interval is slightly controversial, but the price is not high so why not consider 30k to 60 k intervals? It's all we can do to maintain that system, and it might even help :)

Prius continues to have one accessory belt for the engine coolant pump. Eventually that belt and the related rubber hoses have got to go. The SLLC coolant (used in both loops) is 100k for the first change and 50k thereafter. The rubber hoses in the electricals coolant loop will probably last longer because they hav smaller heat cycles, but hey they are still rubber and eventually will crack.

Precautionary replacements of the engine coolant pump (mechanical) and the electricals coolant pump (electrical) have been discussed.

Enigne and cabin air filter suggested intervals are in the 15 to 25k range, but as they are so cheap and easy I do them sooner.

Prius brake fluid is generally not subject to the extreme heat of friction-only cars, but it still absorbs water and becomes corrosive to metals in there. If you have a humid climate it may not take many years to get to 1% water; a good time to change. brake shops have test strips and can tell you the water content for not much money (then decide).

Tire rotations should be frequent for those who like all 4 to wear down evenly.

This list may appear long, yet I agree with the posters who find Prius a relatively low-maint vehicle.