1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Traction Control Complaints on the Rise

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Apr 20, 2007.

1. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

Forget the Snow! I live in the Dallas area and even during perfect weather conditions, that darn traction control would engage. One good example involves simply changing lane or moving quickly from one lane to another. As soon as the tires hop off a bump in the road (minor bumps, not major pot holes) the traction control kicks in. This is one of the most anoying feature of the Prius. I certainly hope the next gen Prius, which I plan to buy as a second Prius for our family will seriously address this. Perfect weather and having the traction kick in with the slightest bump in the roads is unacceptable.

2. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]427369[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, you must be right. Dr Fusco, can you enlighten us on the difference between the two? I assume traction control works at lower speeds to keep from spinning one of the front wheels, and ESC at higher speeds, to keep you from fishtailing?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Apr 21 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]427376[/snapback]</div>
    Pretty much correct. TRAC is to prevent wheel spin when you accelerate.

VSC detects yaw and unequal turning rates of the wheels compared to the direction you're trying to steer an it applies brakes to the individual wheels to correct the slide/spin/yaw.

4. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]427384[/snapback]</div>
    So TRAC would apply ABS to slow the fast-spinning slipping front wheel, to try to match the speed of the unslipping front wheel, or apply ABS to both front wheels if they are spinning faster than the back, unpowered wheels. Why would this cause a total loss of power if it is working correctly? Maybe it just seems like it is a loss of power because obviously the driver is on a surface and under conditions which you cannot accelerate at the rate you would think you can? Maybe the whole problem is driver perception? Or the system does not respond fast enough to return to normal after the transient slippage occurs?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Apr 21 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]427392[/snapback]</div>
    No, brakes are not applied, power is cut to the wheels.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I have found that the traction control is a bit too aggressive. I alleviated the problem by switching to wider, grippier tires, but it still happens when accelerating out of corners.

I don't have an issue with it overall, but with the degree to which it works.

It basically cuts all power to the wheels when it detects slip. There have been times where I've been trying to accelerate and the car practically stops. I'll keep my foot down, but the car just jerks a bit, inching forwards until finally it goes.

If it cut power just enough to control wheel spin, like on our Volvo XC90, then I wouldn't have an issue with it. Of course, the XC90 is AWD and dynamically splits power between the four corners along with modulating brakes to control wheelspin, so a direct comparison isn't really proper.

But Toyota took the lazy way out. There are some traction control systems out there that are so advanced and flexible that they are virtually transparent.

The Porsche 911 Turbo is one example. It's got gobs of power and torque, but plant your foot, drop the clutch at 5000 rpm's, and the car just goes like stink. No wheelspin, no hesitation, nothing but sphincter-clenching acceleration.

Again, not trying to compare the Prius to a radically different car, but the Porsche does a spectacular job in making the execution of the traction control so unnoticeable to the driver. I'm sure Toyota could have implemented the system a little better.

Anyway, that said, I'm still very happy with the car.

7. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(texassalsa04 @ Apr 21 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]427374[/snapback]</div>
    I have also noted in my '06 that many times when I go over a minor bump or pothole in the road, whatever it is kicks in. I have VSC on my car, too, as I wanted that being that it is a Consumer Reports recommended "have". IMHO, whatever is happening does make the car more dangerous at those times.

But the one time that I found the absolute most annoying is going up a moderate hill, maybe 25 - 30 degree incline, in snowy weather. The car would not move. Period. :angry: I had to back down, in some traffic - and a cop was behind me no less - pull into a driveway, turn around, and go another route.

Sorry to say, but it is not just the ambulance chasers that are having this problem IMHO, since I have first-hand experience of it, it IS real.

[edit]
    I forgot to mention that I dumped the stock, Goodyear Integrity's one week after I bought the car and had Nokian WR's put on the car. So, since those are arguably one of the better severe weather tires out there, Tires do not alleviate the problem.

8. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaronw @ Apr 21 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]427368[/snapback]</div>
    That's why you should already be traveling fairly fast when you're going merging into traffic. I realize there are times when the on-ramp is so short you don't have that opportunity but most freeways are not that limited.

I had the pleasure of taking my 2006 prius to Tahoe this winter, unfortunately there was no snow fall, or snow on the roads, however near the sno-parks there was quite a bit of snow/ice/slush on the local streets to the areas, and not once did my my car go bonkers with traction control, then again I wasn't going really fast either, which should be the case in those driving conditions anyways by default.

9. bobc

bobc New Member

Hmm, most of the posters in this thread live in the sunny and warm climes...

I agree with an earlier poster that is a serious issue. On a frequent basis I'm scared shitless as I try to get across an intersection, out of harm's way, etc. I've been driving in Northern New England winters for 30+ years and this is the only vehicle that I've ever really been scared in. Even small, rear wheel drive pickups with no weight in the back are more predictable...

This past storm (2 weeks ago), I was stuck in my perfectly flat driveway because of "traction" control. It's pain and time consuming to have to sit there and put it in diagnostic mode to get the thing moving. Certainly something that can't be done when crossing an intersection.

I love this car. More than any other vehicle I've owned. But, this is of signficant concern. Next winter, I'll be trying studded snow tires to avoid traction control from kicking in....

10. katwoman

katwoman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have an 06 Prius and I have not problem with traction at all. I have nothing but praise for this great car!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Apr 21 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]427180[/snapback]</div>

11. Topgas

Topgas New Member

My wife has had some bad experinces with this problem. The car is great, we love it, but Toyota should address this.

12. aapopper

aapopper New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobc @ Apr 21 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]427508[/snapback]</div>
    What in the world is "diagnostic mode."

I want one!!!!

As one of the initiators of this post I want to thank those who are contributing solid comments about TC. So often when this topic comes up, the discussion deteriorates into "what, I don't have any problems" or " you need new tires or "you don't know to drive" etc,. etc., etc.

Maybe this thread will be different. I sure hope so. :)

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkash @ Apr 20 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]427137[/snapback]</div>
    All unnamed sources. Real credible. :p I'm not saying some people don't have problems so if this is so prevalent why doesn't consumeraffairs put it's money where it's mouth is and file a class action lawsuit?

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redryder @ Apr 21 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]427185[/snapback]</div>
    In addition to better tires, there has been a software upgrade for 2004 and earlier 2005 units that makes the traction control behave like the current models. The new traction control is much better, while not perfect. Talk to your dealer if the software has not been updated on your Prius.

Tom

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    since changing tires, my prius no longer kicks in trac when going over potholes and minor bumps like it used to.

haven't had a lot of snow experience down south and all, i think it's snowed all of once since we bought the car and it didn't stick to the roads... but driving it up to and around in wisconsin in january for a couple weeks it performed just fine.

16. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Apr 20 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]427180[/snapback]</div>
    I have the problem with my 06. A slight bump in the road, such as coming from a parking lot onto the street across a small dip, puts me at a standstill. Even going over a small stone in the road. I've had a few close calls with oncoming traffic when motion and momentum were temporarily suspended. Its quite annoying and sometimes scary.

17. SiliconAddict

SiliconAddict New Member

'07 owner here...I knew it wasn't just me. :rolleyes: Honestly I think Toyota should give users the option for all weather tires instead of what the car comes with. I ended up calling a client to pick me up about a half mile from his damn house this winter because I couldn't make it up the slight hill to his house. Fracking embarrassing is what it was. :angry:

And no I couldn't walk that. It was 10* out, 6" of snow, and I had a motherboard\power supply kit to carry which is about 2' x 1' along with my tool bag.

18. dougnearn

dougnearn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redryder @ Apr 20 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]427174[/snapback]</div>
    I too have experienced some problems with this traction Control?? While driving in rain this device will cause the car to disable the drive just when you need it the most. Many years of driving have taught me to keep the power slightly on when moving through shallow water (HydroPlaning), at least not hitting the brakes. The traction control makes this impossible.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another suggestion is to stick with Toyota recommended tire pressure. I noticed 35/33 PSI trigger less Traction Control light.

20. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Apr 22 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]427790[/snapback]</div>
    No problem with Traction Control this last winter in Chicago with the OEM tires. I would say the Prius's main snow limitation is its low ground clearance. Any non AWD car with a 6" clearance is not going to let you drive over/through snowbanks like I used to do in my Subaru Outback. But at about twice the gas mileage of our Outback, I'm happier having the Prius. If it had been any regular issue, we would have upgraded the tires as others suggest.