1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Base: first encounter with strange clicking noise while braking

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cristino, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Cristino

Cristino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,
    This morning I went thru a known rough patch on the road and was applying light pressure on the brakes as usual (EV doing about 20 mph). Once the wheels started bumping, a loss of deceleration occurred as expected but what I did not expect was a fairly fast clicking sound (about 30Hz). I *believe* it sounded like the click that is heard when the traction battery is engaged in READY mode, but I'm not completely sure. I have no idea where it came from since I was using the A/C and ragchewing on the ham radio. The clicking subsided once I lifted the foot from the brake pedal and reapplied the brakes. No indicator lights came on and the car continued behaving normally.

I'll try to replicate the problem tomorrow, also will make sure to mention it to my dealer on the next service checkup.

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be the ABS brake function kicking in - it's known to do this while braking over bumps, and not isolated to Prius or Toyota, but many cars in general.

3. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like the ABS system working. When the wheels or tires does not contact the ground and causes the wheels to lock up while braking, the ABS starts to kick in. I have noticed this numerous times in bumps and rough surfaces. I'm just glad to know that it works as intended.

4. Cristino

Cristino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you jhinsc and ImeanGreen for your answers. I tried to replicate the 'problem' but no luck. Being that this is my first car with ABS I suppose that is a new noise I have to learn to ignore. :)