1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v owners: what is it replacing?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by fotomoto, Nov 2, 2011.

?
  1. Another Prius

51 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. SUV

79 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Truck

16 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Crossover

16 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Midsize car other than Prius

33 vote(s)
    10.9%
  6. Large car

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Stationwagon

26 vote(s)
    8.6%
  8. Compact car

27 vote(s)
    8.9%
  9. Subcompact car

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. Other

9 vote(s)
    3.0%
  11. Minivan

27 vote(s)
    8.9%
  12. It's not replacing a vehicle

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. BJJ1916

BJJ1916 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Replaced a 2000 Audi A6 Avant (station wagon). In comparison the Prius v is a bargain-- essentially the same amenities (or better) for much less. The v is exactly what I was looking for: great mileage, enough space to carry lots of luggage or anything else I want to carry around, while being a reasonably small size so easy to park and maneuver (the Audi was actually a little larger) and better reliability than the Audi. I researched the v for months before buying (thanks for the info on this forum) and I am totally happy with my new car.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Done. Those that had minivans replaced by the Prius v can now vote.

1 person likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Eggg-zelant. :rockon: Thanks for adding that and the other category.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! Prius v is about the perfect car in my book too.

I wonder if it can break through and sell in large enough numbers to stay here in the US for good. Everywhere I look it's sedans, SUV, CUV, coupes, trucks, minivans, some smaller hatchbacks. So few Mazda5's, Sportwagons and other wagons.

I wouldn't be surprised if GM took part in squashing the wagon image 20 yrs ago while building SUV that are exempt from car fuel economy standards. Enough of that. That garbage needs to go.

bikeboy999 likes this.
  5. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right now, a Prius v Five is the frontrunner among a Prius Five and a CT200h F-sport. I want the looks, interior styling, and handling of the CT, gas mileage of the Prius, and cargo capacity of the v. Considering our life plans (a child or two in the next few years), the v was really, really impressive on the test drive yesterday. There is sooo much room in the back seats and the cargo area is brilliant. I lust for the CT, but I don't think it will turn out to be a whole lot more useful than my wife's Mini Cooper as far as utility.

It isn't "replacing" anything as I'll keep my '10 4Runner and her '05 MCS. I do expect it to replace about 13k of the miles that we put on the 4Runner and 7k of the miles that we put on the MINI annually.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no problemo!

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CT is rough to get in and out of. You won't have fun putting child car seats in a CT. Good empty nester car though.

8. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yesterday I replaced my 2010 Prius III with nav and solar sunroof with a Prius V5. I couldn't justify the cost of the AT package to get the moonroof and already miss my sunroof.

The ONLY reason for the change is the 2010 has that silly, uncomfortable and non-functional center consol. I'm 6'3" and just couldn't get comfortable because there was no room for my right knee. The V5 fits well and is much more comfortable for me.

9. Nantz

Nantz Prius v5 AT Purchased 11/1/11

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Replacing a 2006 Mercedes SLK 350. The thought of parting with my pretty red convertible is killing me. But it's not being driven regularly. It was this old ladies dream fulfilled five years ago. Now driving two baby grandkids around in my beautiful Prius wagon will be more old lady-like. happy with my decision.

10. PriusKrazy

PriusKrazy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2009 Mercedes GL550. i could see the gas needle move down as i drove. now i watch the battery charge go up as i cruise about. my favourite car so far!

1 person likes this.
  11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, you're a pretty tall dude for the regular Prius. If it was possible to pull the wheel closer to you, you could have slid back further making more room for your knees. Unfortunately the state of affairs is low adjustability in the wheel at this point. It will get better in the future, but none too soon. The center console doesn't help things that's for sure.
    new Civic hybrid has the edge on Prius seating IMO, but HCH sits driver a little lower and many don't like that.

I'm 6'2" and can create a bit more space for my knees in the 3rd gen by tilting wheel up slightly, but it's so borderline I wouldn't buy a 3rd gen new. v steering wheel position allows it to telescope to create 1 extra inch between the pedals (brake pedal) and the wheel. This allows you to slide back a little further and still reach the wheel comfortably.

so, yep, the v is very nice for taller / bigger individuals.

... and they all have power adjustable lumbar in the seat. Nice benefit.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The big growth area is CUV/small SUV. In many cases, especially the CUV, they're a way of cheating on light truck CAFE.

I think the v might cannibalize some other Prius sales, but I really think that it has a good potential market. As the new commercials emphasize, it's a good size compared to small SUVs. Unlike conventional wagons the Prius v has the competitive advantage of its excellent fuel economy. Before the v you had to get an FEH (more expensive although it does/did have the 4WD option) or Sportwagen TDI (close in price but from a manufacturer with a poor reliability record). The effect on Sportwagen TDI sales numbers will be very interesting.

13. flrover

flrover New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, I looooove the VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI and you seem to get more amenities for the $$; however, the reliability is still sketcy on those guys. And I would be that one person who buys low quality diesel and mucks up the fuel system.

I bought the Prius V mostly for the reliability and space...duh!

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    New owners please vote.

Thanks!

15. stevemackie

stevemackie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacing our piece of crap 2008 VW City Jetta.

16. Starkie

Starkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I voted "Minivan".
    Because I traded in a 2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4 which is called a minivan by some peopel :)

17. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My on-route Clear Sky Metallic Prius V pkg 5 w AT is replacing 2000 Lexus RX 300. I Will post comparisons on Prius Chat of course.

18. MarathonMarty

MarathonMarty Prii 4-timer

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2010 Prius IV; love the extra room of the v

19. DragonflyDM

DragonflyDM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have never owned a prius before. I was driving a wonderful Camry that was still going strong at 120,000 miles. The issue was I am now commuting 40 miles each way to school four days a week and putting a lot of wear on a high mileage car. I also had a friend of mine pass recently from fidgeting with their phone while driving (something I am guilty with my own iPhone). I felt it was time to get something that will last for ten years, get great mileage, give more hands free interaction with my iPhone and general added safety.

I also avoided the Prius because it was too small….but I am just floored by the space inside the V without changing too much of its footprint. Don’t know why people call it a wagon.

20. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I've been wondering how many folks on PriusChat had bought a new Prius vee.

By my count, the number is 63! That is a lot for a car that was only introduced 3 weeks ago.