1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs. Prius C

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by karenmanfrede, Mar 10, 2012.

1. karenmanfrede

karenmanfrede New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Help me decide between a 2012 Prius or Prius C. Money isnt a huge issue for me, but I obviously don't want to throw money away either. There's quite a price difference between the two, and I guess I'm not completely sure why. I'm not particularly observant or picky about cars, so little performance differences will probably be lost on me. Everything I've read makes it sound like they are very similar cars anyway, so I'm confused as to why there's a pretty significant price difference. Any insights are appreciated. thanks.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius and Prius c are not all that similar.

Look at the specs. Prius c is not even 160" long. Prius is about 176". That 16" is significant - it means smaller space in rear seats and cargo area.

Prius c weighs about 2,500 lbs. Prius weighs over 3,000.

Prius c has 1.5 liter gas engine, Prius has 1.8 liter.

Prius would eat up highway miles a fair amount better with its larger tires. Prius c would be easier to park in tight downtown spaces.

If you want to put 4 adults in with room to spare, Prius is the choice. If you rarely put someone in the backseats and want a subcompact size car, that's Prius c.

Prius is between a compact and midsize which is incredibly unique. they call it a midsize, but it's not really a midsize. Camry is a true midsize car with room and load capacity for five 180 lb adults. Prius has 100 lbs less load capacity and really is best for 4 larger adults or 2 adults in rear seat and 1 small one in between. Corolla is a compact, but Prius has more interior room and better seating.

3. The Transporter

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius liftback is larger and more goodies in it. Read the and compaire the specs.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to go test drive each.

They may call it a Prius family, but there is quite a bit of difference.

Only you can decide what you want.

In the simplest of terms, The Standard Prius is a Mid-Size Hatchback...and The Prius c, is a sub-compact.

But we are talking about two separate vehicles that spread across several available trim levels.

You can investigate this site, and get a good idea of what is available for both. But the only way you can decide what you want? Is to go look at both. If money isn't an object, you should pretty quickly be able to determine what you want or like.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The interior of the Prius is a little more upscale than the c as well.

6. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    All the above being said, I have signed on the dotted line to ditch my 2010 II Liftback for a II c. :eek: Don't want to fight with my local dealership on the TSBs anymore (and am planning on using the interstate very minimally).

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    List out what you want in a car. Mine is - comfort, efficiency, room for 4 adults if needed, room for whole bike in back, room for drumset in cases, 4 doors a must, hatch/liftback a must, reliability, under $25k before tax, must be a full hybrid....

that's a Prius. There is still no hybrid competitor to date which is somewhat crazy actually.

8. Lighthouseguy

Lighthouseguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Got my Absolute Red Prius C Three (with nav) yesterday, trading in my Prius 2010 (they're now called) Liftback IV. Paid MSLP for the C but somewhere along the way someone added $225 Floor Mats! (great balls of fire)! Dealer didn't keep his word on an earlier trade-in price, suddenly ho-humming some gobbledegook that it was $1,500 less (take it or leave it) as I prepared to sign the papers for the sweet shiny red C parked the other side of the window. (my LAST deal EVER with that dud)! However was pleased to learn that maintenance service - including oil & filter changes and all the car washes I want - is FREE for a year. As for the car....
    The C's a dream! Loaded with electronic goodies, tight and responsive, great gas mileage, (almost non-existent emissions of course) very quiet interior ride (seems quieter than my liftback).....just plain FUN! Took a couple of buds for a ride. They were comfortable & very impressed with the interior roominess. Me too! I'm 83 - believe it - and a very HAPPY CAMPER!,

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm super stoked to read so manypositivereviews for the c. I was worried the car may be a flop but it looks like Toyota delivered in true Prius fashion.

Congrats!

10. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very much the reasons I fell for the Prius after looking at one for the first time. Looked for other non-hybrids that would offer what the Prius did in your list and also had the reliability of the Prius and didn't find much that made me happy.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on what you're looking for in a car. The Prius c is two sizes smaller than the Prius (subcompact vs. midsize). It has better city mpg, better maneouvrability around town and has reasonable goodies if you want to add them (like moonroof, nav and SofTex + heated seats).

The Prius LB can do the city runs too but can handle the highway jaunts better than the c just because of the longer wheelbase (more comfortable ride) and the extra length and extra torque from the 1.8 litre engine allows better highway mpg and better responsiveness if you need to overtake. You can also load up the Prius with features not available in this class such as the solar panel moonroof, radar cruise control, Lane Keep Assist, HUD, LED headlights w/ headlight washers and auto-levelling and so forth.

12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2012 Toyota Prius v, Prius C & Standard Prius side by side!

1 person likes this.
  13. karenmanfrede

karenmanfrede New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, everyone! I'm going to drive the Prius tomorrow (already drove the C). I mostly drive alone and I have no need for a roomy car (in fact, I have a 2 seater right now), so I'm leaning toward saving the money and going for the C. Thanks again.