1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius wheel noise...axle? transmission?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by teamneon, Aug 12, 2014.

1. teamneon

teamneon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So we noticed a noise tonight, sounded like a wheel bearing going out at first. It only made the noise when I accelerated or braked. Got home, jacked it up and when i rotate the wheel it feels (and sounds) like something is not right. It feels like its where the axle slides into the transmission just by guessing but im no mechanic. Rolling the wheel fast its not noticeable, but moving it slowly it jerks as it rotates, as seen in video.
    Any ideas? please dont say transmission jeez.

Here is a short video of it in action

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

3. teamneon

teamneon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Could be bad CV joint.

Feri likes this.
  5. teamneon

teamneon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: noise kept getting worse so I pulled the wheels off. The junky fuzion tires are "peeling" on the inside. My tire guy said it was something that directional tires do sometimes. Put my factory wheels back on and it sounds fine. Checked the reviews of the fuzion tires and everyone had same experience. Good for 15k miles then they get noisy. I have 28k on mine since March and still have tread but I'm done with them!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of 'em. get what you pay for i suppose. glad you found it and it wasn't the tranny!(y)

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Though the tires may have contributed while driving, they are not making that noise in the video when moving just inches. Suggest you jack it up and do the same check again because it sounded more like your half shaft (axle-CV joint) is worn. Can only base my comment on the video though.