1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius with non-solar moonroof pics?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jay85, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Jay85

Jay85 New Member

Model:
    IV
    Hi All,

My family just got a Prius IV on order. Couldn't be more excited.

I wasn't at the dealership but apparently the car has a moonroof that is not solar. Does anyone have more information on this? From the forums I gathered that this is only available as a dealer installed option, and isn't all that much more expensive than a solar equipped car but saves you from having to wait to get a car with a moonroof.

I'm interested in what this looks like (if the roof is still black like the solar cars or not, for example)

Please post pics if you have them.

Thanks,
    Jay

2. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try a search because there has been posted
    The only good thing about has it slide into the roof which would be quieter the type that slides on top of the roof
    Beside that I would not do it,
    the difference between the looks would decrease the value of your car alot on resale

3. Jay85

Jay85 New Member

Model:
    IV
    Can you elaborate a little bit more on the resale part of it? I don't quite understand what you mean by the difference in the looks.

I searched but it was hard to find anything on the subject of a non solar roof.

Please let me know, we might have to change the deal if it's a big hit on resale, i really appreciate the help!

4. Airbalancer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Once you confirm that your family's car has a non solar roof, please post pics. Thanks.

6. Jay85

Jay85 New Member

Model:
    IV
    Should we not go through with it? Is it that bad for resale?

7. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Aftermarket sunroofs won't look anything like the factory sunroof with solar panels, and won't provide the ventilation functionality, so it may turn off potential buyers. They may also leak if not installed properly.

If you really want a sunroof, then do it for yourself. Don't worry about anyone else or future buyers. A car is not an appreciating investment.

8. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The solar roof will depreciate more than an aftermarket sunroof.

Why? If you lease a Prius with sunroof, It will depreciate from $1800 to $250 value in 3 years, more depreciation than the cost of an aftermarket sunroof. This is based on the residual value as included in a Toyota lease on a 2010 Prius. This does not include similar depreciation on the $1800 nav system that is required with the solar roof.

Maybe some buyers would offer less for a Prius with an after market roof (than one with no sunroof) but all you need is one that like it and you are OK.

Note: lease residual data was provided by Diane Whitmore, a Toyota sales person who is an active and reliable participant in this forum.

There may indeed be a risk of leakage with improper installation. I have no experience with that. There have been reports of aftermarket roofs put in gen II Prii of forum members and no reports of leaks to my knowledge.

Agree totally, whether you are talking about the solar or aftermarket roof.

9. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know about resale but I find the Prius roof to be superb aerodynamically -- drive fast with roof open and there's little draft or impact on mpg. While a slider contracting into the roof might look good I doubt it could compete in efficiency.

10. neterizon

neterizon New Member

Model:
    IV
    Here're pics of my Ribbon Blue Metallic with non-solar roof.

Attached Files:

11. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I didn't even know there was that option.

The standard black sunroof/solar on blizzard white looks awesome though...a great selling point for me.

personally, i'd rather have the standard roof accessories than one bolted on after, and probably most people would too.

12. neterizon

neterizon New Member

Model:
    IV
    I had the same reluctant myself. After seeing it on another '10, I was very impressed. It doesn't look like a solar roof, but it looks just like a factory installed roof for other cars. There are three preset positions, so there is less fumbling around on the roof and more focus on the road. The roof also closes automatically when the car shuts off.

13. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wait, so it IS possible to get a toyota approved moonroof installed post-factory?

14. neterizon

neterizon New Member

Model:
    IV
    It is possible to get a post-factory moonroof installed by your Toyota dealership or its partners, but I don't know if it's "approved".

15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not "toyota approved".

16. Airbalancer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it looks like the same as in my pick up
    Is it quiet driving with the roof opened?