1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius wouldn't boot up first two tries today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fibb222, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I pressed the power button on my Canadian 2004 Prius, the DRLs came on, the dash lights came on, the wipers (lever was left to on) tried to move but seemed out of umph, and the big triangle with the exclamation point was up on the dash too. Never seen it before.

I turned off the A/C and Audio and powered down. I tried it again, same thing.

3rd time was the charm, it went into ready mode like normal and I drove it all over town after that with nothing out of the ordinary, whats so ever.

Was my 12v battery low?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12v would be my first guess...is it the original?

3. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I betcha it is original, I haven't replaced it myself and I bought the car used a couple of years ago. I was just in for a major inspection. Wouldn't they have tested the battery?

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you experience 12v failure ( like you are currently ) you need to remove the 12v battery ( or disconnect it in spot ) and charge with a battery charger. there are amp warnings on the battery. if you have a 10a charger, you can use it to jump start your car ;)

btw, i'm still using my original. if i fail to drive it for longer than 20 hours or so, it won't start.. hehe

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Evidently they didn't do a load test, and I wouldn't expect it unless they were told to do one. Most likely it's time for a new battery.