1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Priuschat and IE is horrible

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Easy Rider, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    With this software, a LOT of page responses come back in such a fashion that they don't get displayed on the active page (the one that you are seeing). Something is supposed to shift the display to a different page or a different place on the page.......and that never happens, apparently because IE doesn't recognize or honor the command being sent. Even when the server was healthy (and is again now), this site was a royal pain in the backside when using IE. It pretty much forced me to switch to Chrome. In all fairness, some other sites have similar problems dealing with IE 11 too but none as bad as this one.

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Why do people torture themselves with IE when there are far better standards-compliant browsers freely available?

Daves09prius likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When on workplace computers for one where you do not have a choice! I am having similar issues with my work computer and IE. I have a few minor issues with other sites but nothing like this site. I use Chrome on my home computer with no problems and none on my iPad.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was working, I always had the choice to read these things on the home computer, not the workplace computers. In fact the owner of the workplace computers very strongly recommended that choice.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I still have that choice but I do "choose" to pull up PC at work at times even though it is frowned upon by Big Brother IT :)

Are you saying that you never ventured to PC at work ?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a few reasons people "torture" themselves with IE. For starters, it comes built-in with Windows, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the predominant operating system world wide? If a site is flakey with IE, something is wrong.

One thing I'm noticing, and noticing, and noticing (with IE):

Since the upgrade, I've got a 50/50 chance of the front page just locking, and sometimes locking IE completely.

(With a lot of the alternate browsers also blocking ads, and the apparent hang-up of ad loading in concert with the front page locking, I'm guessing that bug is ad related.)

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't say 'never', but could go months at a time without doing it. IT was very definitely tracking such usage, and management used it as 'leverage' when desired.

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I keep getting Flash crashes while loading all the revenue generating stuff that comes with the new priuschat upgrade. I do crash report to Adobe and notice that they have a new Flash version out very frequently. Firefox latest on a big vertical screen.

Priuschat now has a less usable home screen IMNSHO...more cluttered format. Uses much of the screen for its own publicity and less for the information I want to see. I also hate the color switch. A forum is about the exchange of information/opinion, not glitz.

9. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not really - there are standards for web pages which IE hasn't always followed, so you can have a fully compliant website which IE will be flaky with (not the other way round).

And while Windows is the predominant *operating system* for desktop PCs, IE is now far behind Chrome and only just ahead of Firefox, despite the fact that every Windows PC comes with IE as its default browser:

Usage share of web browsers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In other words, a good majority of users have dumped IE.

Daves09prius likes this.
  10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Simple, Internet Exploder just plain SUCKS!

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I avoid IE like the plague. Chrome is first choice, then Firefox.

SCH-I535

Daves09prius likes this.
  12. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Once upon a time; not anymore. Now forums are about the revenue that is generated from "pass through" ads.......and the more users that "see" the ads, the more revenue the owner receives. Everything is about money. Wait......and what the hell happened now ? Earlier today the post preview was working fine with Chrome; now it's broken again.

#12 Easy Rider, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
  13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have been having trouble with IE at work with other sites other than PC but PC is my worst actor. Of course I did not want to tell my IT manger that I was having trouble with PC at work! I am not having similar trouble with IE and PC at home on my desktop or iPad.

I was talking to my IT manager this morning and asked if others were having similar issues with IE. He said yes and asked if I had a laptop or desktop. I told him that I have a laptop that I use in a docking station at work that is connected hard-wired to our company LAN/WAN. I use WiFi at home.

He said that corporate IT was telling him that turning off WiFi on laptops had shown improvement with IE users. The laptops will sometimes automatically switch between network connections and WiFi and cause problems with IE. I turned off my WiFi and so far today PC has been doing much better. Time will tell.

14. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I dumped IE long, long ago... I can't believe that Opera has such low percentages. I thought more people knew about / used it.

Chrome is my all time favorite, but unfortunately the IT department took over IE and now chrome on my work computer, now I can't use anything with Flash or visit cool websites like PC, Yahoo news etc. Somehow I was able to download and install Opera with non-administrator privileges!? Opera is my only option at the moment to visit non pre-approved websites like PC while at work... (but we're told that personal use of the computers on lunch or break is okay, you just can't go to any website that's not pre-approved or non-work related...)

15. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa??? People still use IE?

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, once I installed AdBlock, IE works fine.

The banner ad at top of page seems to be locking the site, and IE, for me. I'd be fine with not blocking the ads, giving the site's sponsor's a decent chance for attention, but it makes it the site impossible to use.

17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The official firewall at work here allows each MAC address 2 hours of non-work type web browsing every 24hours. But I just tether on my phone for all connections and then hardwire for backups or secure info. Faster too...

As to the switching between WiFi and ethernet, it won't do that if it is setup properly and if you have an IT department it should be. You can set the priority for each connection in the network manager. If WiFi is set to the #1 priority then yes it may switch back and forth when it detects and connects to WiFi and every time it does that all connections in intermediate stages are aborted and not always retried because the adapter technically went offline. The proper way is to have hardwired connections be set to a higher priority. As a general rule, if you are plugged in, you want to use the plug. Even if you have WiFi, if you are plugged in, use the wire. If no wire, then use wireless.

And it could be very possible that the reason PC displays poorly is because PC requests files that don't exist and some that are malformed. Also if you are viewing from work, some of the ad links and then social media crap things it requests could very possibly be blocked. That would also cause it. Below is what a typical post load looks like with ads enabled. I never have them enabled so it skips a lot of the junk, but with everything working "normally", it is 99 different requests for information. I would just load the equivalent viewer in IE and see exactly where it hangs up.

[​IMG]

jdcollins5 and ftl like this.
  18. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What's the analysis tool you're using there?

19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Firebug within Firefox.

20. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model: